Mormons & Proposition 8 - Page 3 of 9

To support the wonderful, personal e-mails - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Nov, 2008 - 4:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »
Video - Gay Mormons - Gay Marriage - Mormon Views On Homosexuality
10th Nov, 2008 - 3:43am / Post ID: #

Mormons & Proposition 8 - Page 3

JB - I thought I had seen a statement from the Catholic church, but now I can't find it via Google. There is a statement from the Utah Catholic bishop, though:

Utah's Catholic bishop: We oppose gay marriage, too
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 11/08/2008 08:26:24 PM MST

Posted: 8:12 PM- The head of Utah's Catholic parishes expressed solidarity with the Mormon faith's support for a constitutional amendment that banned gay marriage in California.
    Rev. John C. Wester, bishop of the Salt Lake Catholic Diocese, said his church took a strong stand in support of Proposition 8.
Source 7

There is also a Catholic-based website for support of Prop 8, but I didn't see any official statement dated after the election.Source 5

I also read where the Saddleback Church that Pastor Rick Warren runs has been targeted for protests, as he did support Prop 8 also.

QUOTE (Alaskan LDS)
I wonder just how many there are or if they are just talk.
I actually visited the website and there is NO detail about how many they have received. There are a few letters posted from people, but nothing like the numbers they are trying to get us all to believe. The whole notion of resignations "flooding in" or "pouring in" means nothing, in my opinion -- just propaganda to influence those sitting on the fence to make the leap.

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 10th Nov, 2008 - 3:43am

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 11th Nov, 2008 - 12:44pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Proposition and Mormons

Catholics, Mormons joined to pass Prop. 8

Archbishop's letter to LDS asking for help proved crucial

Archbishop Niederauer had made critical inroads into improving Catholic-Mormon relations while he was bishop of Salt Lake City for 11 years. And now he asked them for help on Prop. 8, the ballot measure that sought to ban same-sex marriages in California.
Ref. Source 9

11th Nov, 2008 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Proposition 8 Studies Doctrine Mormon

LDS wards in Utah are being vandalized and there are reports of hundreds of members asking the Church to remove their names over this issue.

Source 8

Source 3

11th Nov, 2008 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Proposition and Mormons

To have your name removed from the Church simply because you agree with same sex marriage for me shows that your value for baptism and blessings thereafter are meaningless. From the reports... I do not see how taking a stance means you are a bigot. I have always found that 'Hollywood' would have everyone believe that if you are not with what is considered revolutionary mainstream thinking then you are the misfit. The USA is becoming more and more like Sodom and soon you will see people making laws to infiltrate the temple or even demand that their same sex marriage be sealed. We know what happened to Sodom and how the people therein behaved before it was destroyed.

Rather off topic, but...
In my country it is against the law to solicit, broadcast or 'be' a homesexual, yet I see many that have taken that 'step'.

15th Nov, 2008 - 3:32pm / Post ID: #

Proposition and Mormons

This is from an email I received last night:

As you are all aware, many of those who have opposed Proposition 8
have been demonstrating at temples and church buildings. The acts of
intimidation, vanalism and violence have not gone unnoticed by church
authorities. We have received instruction on how to deal with these
situations. Please read the following:

As all of you know, the protests from the No on 8 side will continue
this weekend.

We are counseled not to hold counter-demonstrati ons. The other side
will be looking for confrontations and if they get them, guess how
the attending media will spin villains and victims?

Please counsel our people to stay away from the demonstrations and
let the police handle things. Especially encourage our most
passionate supporters to stay at home. The more the other side
demonstrates, the more their temper tantrums help us.

Let's not do anything that detracts from their visual stupidity.

Keep things in perspective: We can paint over graffiti on our
buildings and we can plant new flowers on our temple grounds, but
it's more difficult to repair a reputation that has been tarnished
because some member loses his temper.

Be patient and kind. Turn the other cheek. This too shall pass.

15th Nov, 2008 - 9:08pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Proposition 8

Thanks FarSeer for placing these emails here. They are good advice. My husband was just telling me last night that he heard on the radio that some went as far as sending envelopes with white powder (Anthrax Scare?) to some of the temples in Utah. Thanks again for this perspective.

AlaskanLDS

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2008 - 10:33pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Proposition 8 - Page 3

Discussion about Powder Scares At Two Lds Temples is located here: Source 3

Post Date: 17th Nov, 2008 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Mormons & Proposition 8
A Friend

Mormons & Proposition 8 Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

To support the wonderful, personal e-mails FarSeer has posted for us, I thought these scriptures apply to our current situation and may aid our missionaries all over the world on this issue. Thanks FarSeer for your information.

Doctrine and Covenants 10:49:57
49 Now, this is not all-their faith in their prayers was that this gospel should be made known also, if it were possible that other nations should possess this land;
  50 And thus they did leave a blessing upon this land in their prayers, that whosoever should believe in this a gospel in this land might have eternal life;
  51 Yea, that it might be free unto all of whatsoever nation, kindred, tongue, or people they may be.
  52 And now, behold, according to their faith in their prayers will I bring this part of my gospel to the knowledge of my people. Behold, I do not bring it to destroy that which they have received, but to build it up.
  53 And for this cause have I said: If this generation harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them.
  54 Now I do not say this to destroy my church, but I say this to build up my church;
  55 Therefore, whosoever belongeth to my church need not fear, for such shall inherit the kingdom of heaven.
  56 But it is they who do not fear me, neither keep my commandments but build up churches unto themselves to get gain, yea, and all those that do wickedly and build up the kingdom of the devil-yea, verily, verily, I say unto you, that it is they that I will disturb, and cause to tremble and shake to the center.
  57 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I came unto mine own, and mine own received me not.

God will note tolerate wickedness. However, we are free to make our own choices, but we will suffer the consequences of our behavior. He wants His church to be built up in areas to promote the gospel, to build up the area, to teach the people. Some people don't want to be taught the truth. They don't want to believe it is the truth. It is our missionaries and us as members jobs to share the gospel and teach of our Heavenly Father's plan for His children, especially in difficult times such as these. We are clearly in my opinion, separating the wheat from the tares. Members of the church who are keeping the commandments, need not fear, only those that are not keeping the commandments. Have you heard about the recent California fires, with no known cause? Source 1

I don't know if these fires are in response to Prop 8 in California, but it is interesting. There are signs of the last days around us. I pray that our missionaries around the world will be protected and watched over as they will endure some rough times. Our testimonies need to become stronger than they have ever been to endure what is to come. I believe our faith is really going to be tried. Let us help our missionaries find those who want to know of our Heavenly Father's plan and what His plan is on eternal families.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (9) »

> TOPIC: Mormons & Proposition 8

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,