Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy

Mormons Wives Mormon Polygamy - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Nov, 2008 - 7:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Mormon Polygamy Mormon polygamy - Note that the depth of this Topic is covered more in other Threads within this Board such as In that day seven women shall.... Originially this Thread was to help Non-LDS undertsand the concept without going into depth about the theories associated with Mormon Polygamy.
22nd Nov, 2008 - 2:21am / Post ID: #

Polygamy used to be a big part of the Mormon belief system. Why did they stop if they consider it a part of their beliefs? The other sect once led by the infamous Warren Jeffs still continues the original tradition of marrying many women so why doesn't the current Salt Lake version of the Mormon church continue?

Sponsored Links:
22nd Nov, 2008 - 4:19am / Post ID: #

Polygamy Mormon Wives Many Mormons

Those mormons must have men with a good stamina to keep all those women satisfied.

Post Date: 22nd Nov, 2008 - 6:23am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy Studies Doctrine Mormon

Mormons (I am one) believe in continuing revelation-that God still speaks to us (mankind in general) today, both individually and collectively. In the Mormon church, the President of the church (the prophet) acts as the mouthpiece of God to the church, and has the responsibility and right to receive revelation on its behalf.

The practice of plural marriage was initiated following a revelation to Joseph Smith in the 1840s, in which the church was instructed to begin that practice. When laws were passed in the latter part of the 19th century which made the practice illegal, the Church was put in a very difficult position. The members of that time could not obey the laws of the land without breaking the commands of God. During this period of great distress, the prophet, Wilford Woodruff, continually sought direction from the Lord on how to proceed.

In 1890, President Woodruff announced to the church that the Lord had instructed him to have the practice discontinued church-wide. The church has not taught the practice, nor engaged in it since.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask additional questions.

To RedSonja: Contrary to common claims, many of the men who entered into plural marriages in the church did not have sexual relationships with their additional wives, but rather took upon themselves only the legal responsibility to provide for their welfare. Remember that, due to the mobbing and persecution to which the church had been subjected for a decade, may of the LDS wives and mothers were at that time widowed, leaving broken families with no father/husband to care for their temporal welfare.

Reconcile Edited: TheQuietMan on 22nd Nov, 2008 - 6:35am

22nd Nov, 2008 - 12:18pm / Post ID: #

QUOTE (TheQuietMan @ 22-Nov 08, 2:23 AM)
In 1890, President Woodruff announced to the church that the Lord had instructed him to have the practice discontinued church-wide. The church has not taught the practice, nor engaged in it since.

Contrary to common claims, many of the men who entered into plural marriages in the church did not have sexual relationships with their additional wives, but rather took upon themselves only the legal responsibility to provide for their welfare. Remember that, due to the mobbing and persecution to which the church had been subjected for a decade, may of the LDS wives and mothers were at that time widowed, leaving broken families with no father/husband to care for their temporal welfare.

Both of these statements are not accurate but I do not want to discuss it here because it's for non-members but If you are serious and interested you should seek about upgrading where you will be able to see the Mature board where we discuss this topic in depth.

Revival:

Why did they stop if they consider it a part of their beliefs?

The were being persecuted because of this practice. The Lord gave the Saints at that time a choice, to continue living the law or to stop it. They chose the second.

24th Nov, 2008 - 3:29pm / Post ID: #

Both of these statements are not accurate

Why are they not accurate?

The were being persecuted because of this practice.

Is having many wives necessary for salvation by Mormon beliefs? If it is, then how come it was stopped by choice?

24th Nov, 2008 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

The Doctrine is still valid, but the practice of Plural marriage is currently not in affect. As plural marriage was a valid practise and was sometimes sanctioned by the Lord in biblical times (I.e. Abraham, Moses, David) for specific purposes it was instituted in the 19th century by the command of God, and discontinued as a practice by God. But the practice of this law can only be under the direction and commandment of God, and at his choosing.

Revival

Is having many wives necessary for salvation by Mormon beliefs?

Plural Marriage, in my opinion, is not necessary for Salvation as being defined as being saved and redeemed from ones sin and receiving a resurrection of the body. That is covered by the atonement of Christ and can only be brought about by the sacrifice, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Nov, 2008 - 6:10pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Many Wives Mormon Polygamy

The FLDS claim that without it they cannot be saved, so this is where you and they differ, however if its not for salvation then why have it? Why would you claim that god would ask you to do something not for salvation. For me Jesus showed only the things we need to do for salvation.

24th Nov, 2008 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Many Wives Mormon Polygamy Mormon Doctrine Studies

There are quite few differences between the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the FLDS.

For me Jesus showed only the things we need to do for salvation.

I agree with you on this.

I think we have a difference in how we are defining words. Salvation for Members of the Church involves the redeeming power of Christ from sin and his death and resurrection to give us immortality. This is a salvation that involves us being redeemed from our own sins and weaknesses and the power of death. We believe that God wants us to be saved from our sins (Salvation), He also wants us to find complete happiness that can be found in a perfect relationship of the Eternal Marriage Covenant.

The marriage covenant, that extends the relationship between a man and wife to the next life,can be found we believe, only within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. There is no "till death do we part" as is found in most of the denominations and religions today. It is an exalting doctrine that brings man and women to their fullest potentials as sons and daughter of God.

We believe that men and women can only receive a fulness of joy within this life and the life to come together as a married couple. This is a core doctrine of the Church and affects our relationship with our spouses to such a degree that it strengthens the love that we have for him or her. We realize that it is not just a lifetime commitment, but rather a commitment for the eternities, and affects how we treat our spouse.

We hold that for anyone to reach there full potential in this life and in the life to come one must be "sealed" to the Eternal Family of God. When one enters the Temple to be sealed to their spouse they are making a covenant similar to the covenant that Abraham made in the Bible (the Abrahamic Covenant) and it allows us to be sealed to our future Children in the eternities also.

I realize this may be a strange doctrine, but it is important to me that the relationship that I have with my wife transcend this life. I cannot imagine a life without the eternal companionship and fellowship with my spouse and my Family (As we believe we are sealed to our families and that these relationship extend past this life) after I have died.

Rather off topic, but...

I want the same sociality (the good relationships) to exist on the other side that exist on this side. I want to be able to recognize my earthly Mother and Father on the other side and still call them such. I have an innate need to have a faith that does not require me to severe my ties that that I have made on earth. One Doctrine of the Church is that the spirit world that we enter after this life is a place where we will associate with the type of people that we would in this life. We are the same person that we are now, but in spirit form (awaiting the resurrection of our physical bodies) with the same thoughts and desires we have now. Our spirits are in the exact form of our earthly bodies but more perfect (no deformities) form.

Thus the doctrine of Marriage signifies an eternal covenant that extends the relationship to the next life, and is a significant part of receiving complete joy in the next life.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Mormons Having Many Wives - Mormon Polygamy

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,