Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Nov, 2008 - 3:58am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
17th Nov, 2008 - 8:42pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith

What is the Mormon connection to Joseph Smith, is he considered a sort of Jesus Christ to the Mormons?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Nov, 2008 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith
A Friend

Smith Joseph

Joseph smith is considered to be a very special prophet to mormons, but that is just it. He never claimed to be the messiah and he is not treated in this regard. He is just considered a Prophet who restored the doctrine and priesthood after 1500 years of Apostacy. He is christlike, or considered to be a servant of Christ. He talked about his imperfections many times and thought he was a chosen seer doing the work for the lord. He is better compared to the prophets of old that were christlike.

Of coarse I am biased because I am Mormon and believe that he was a prophet of the restored church.

I can see how some people outside of my religion may view some of his experiences as being odd and unbelievable, but a lot of these accusations are made by anti-mormons.

I would be unlikely to believe it had I not spent so much time reading and praying about it.

I wont kneel before the great seer Joseph Smith and he wouldn't expect me to. I will however kneel to Christ. This is the standard that the church teaches on this matter.

We don't believe that JS was Christ and he needed the atonement of christ just like the rest of us. He is considered a very special individual and a hero, just like many other religions have theirs.

Martin Luther was considered a Hero to the Lutherans (and was), but was not considered a replacement for Christ by the Lutherans. Kind of like that.

18th Nov, 2008 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Studies Doctrine Mormon

You revere him as the Muslims do with Mohammed? They don't allow any disrespect to him, to me this is some kind of worship.

He talked about his imperfections many times and thought he was a chosen seer doing the work for the lord.

He thought this only or are you saying he "taught" it?

How is one to take this quote from your leader Brigham Young,
"Joseph Smith, the prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it..."

Reconcile Edited: revival on 18th Nov, 2008 - 1:42am

18th Nov, 2008 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

Smith Joseph

As Evangelicals have a special affinity for Paul, and his doctrines of grace, Mormons consider Joseph Smith a Prophet with a particular calling. Namely the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ in these latter days. We believe that every dispensation must have its Prophets who receive direct revelation from God and Jesus Christ.

As Amos said in the Bible:
Amos 3:7

Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Where ever there is the Church of God his prophets must be there also. Without them, as seen in the Old and New Testaments the people perished (spiritually and sometimes physically).

I know that God has called Prophets today, who testify of Christ and his atoning sacrifice. I know there are Prophets today who have the keys of every dispensation to gather israel, to prepare the earth for the Second Coming of Christ, and to prepare the world for his millennial reign.

Joseph Smith is admired as we admire all of the scriptural prophets, as Men (merely men) who have been chosen to testify of the Lord Jesus Christ and his supreme standing as the Son of God, the great Jehovah, and the Messiah of all mankind.

Post Date: 18th Nov, 2008 - 2:53am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith
A Friend

Smith Joseph

So you do know something about Mormons. That whole thing before about " wanting to learn about other religions" was just a form of trickery to pull people in. I knew you were loaded. wink.gif I also liked how you compared mormons to Muslims. It is the same kind of people that claimed we had horns growing on our heads back in the day.

"Joseph Smith, the prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it..."

Would you read that? Joseph Smith is important to the mormon church, but not as important as christ.

You revere him as the Muslims do with Mohammed? They don't allow any disrespect to him, to me this is some kind of worship.

There is a lot of disrespect towards Joseph by some members and they are "allowed" to do it. It is not encouraged, but it happens.

So, you should be more open about yourself, because you are obviously on a hunt. What religion? What connection do you have with Mormons? What books have you read on this subject? I am curious about you. Do tell.

Once again good move with the hated Muslim comparison.

18th Nov, 2008 - 3:08am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith

Where ever there is the Church of God his prophets must be there also.

dbackers, why would God wait til 1830 to choose Joseph Smith, who was the pophet before that? You say God will do nothing without a prophet so what did God do after John and before Joseph Smith?

Quasar, why are you questioning me, because I ask a question? I am not making a move or trying any trickery. I am simply asking questions and looking for answers. I thought Mormons were open about their faith?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Nov, 2008 - 3:24am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith
A Friend

Joseph Smith

It was such an innocent question, oh wait a minute.

why would God wait til 1830 to choose Joseph Smith,

laugh.gif, you know more about mormons than half of the mormon church. Come on Revival you aren't being straight up. Who said anything about 1830?

Quasar, why are you questioning me, because I ask a question?

Answer mine, I answered yours.

I thought Mormons were open about their faith?

I am very open about it, but you seam to know more than you let on. Actually you are not that smart so you do let on. What is the deal and don't go whining and crying about "how rude I am". There are different kinds of mormons and I am not the sensitive type. You are not being Honest.

Reconcile Edited: Quasar on 18th Nov, 2008 - 3:25am

18th Nov, 2008 - 3:58am / Post ID: #

Joseph Smith Mormon Doctrine Studies

I am asking questions about Joseph Smith, what does what I know or not know make Joseph Smith or your answers different?

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Joseph Smith

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,