Revoking Israel's Un Membership

Revoking Israel' S Membership - Studies of Judaism - Posted: 12th Dec, 2008 - 4:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2008 - 11:58am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Revoking Israel's UN Membership
By Snorre Lindquist and Lasse Wilhelmson

The 1976 Nobel peace prize laureate, Mairead McGuire from Ireland, recently suggested a popular movement demanding that the UN revoke Israel's membership. The international community now needs to put tangible pressure on Israel in order to stop its war crimes.
Ref. Source 5

Sponsored Links:
12th Dec, 2008 - 2:55pm / Post ID: #

Membership Israels Revoking

First of all, I am not pro anything in this discussion. Since it is one of the greatest debates of our time, I have given it a lot of consideration and devoted a bit of time trying to understand how we got here. It is a very complicated situation and I would urge everyone to study the entire history of it before you try to decide who is at fault. However, this authors are SO lose and fast with the facts it is ridiculous:

The Gaza Strip is now the largest concentration camp in the world. The situation grows steadily more insufferable for the 1.5 million Palestinians who live there. Deliveries of food, medicine and fuel are made difficult or stopped altogether. Child malnutrition is increasing. Water supplies and drainage have ceased to function. Children die for lack of healthcare.

Yes, Gaza Strip is bad. If it is a concentration camp, it is poorly run because the inmates have rockets and guns and seem to get them with ease. Oh wait, the PA are actually the guards in the Strip. Hmmm, aren't they Palestinians? I will stick with what I said...it is a poorly run concentration camp if it is one. Children die for lack of healthcare! Yepper, they do...just not these children.

Source 4

That is right. The UN is providing health care in the Gaza Strip, but he is correct. Children do die from lack of healthcare.

Tunnels to Egypt, dug by hand, are the only breathing space. Journalists and diplomats are denied entry. Israel is planning more military efforts. The Palestinians in Gaza are now to be starved into surrender and become an Egyptian problem.

Listening to this it sounds like the tunnels have just been dug or are being dug as we speak as it apparently is a bastion of fresh air!

Source 9
Source 8

Hardly sounds like the Egyptians are gearing up to take on any burden of Palestinian unwanted immigration. Well, at least that is how I would take it if someone bombed me. Hmmm...should we be getting after Egypt too? This is pretty harsh treatment if that is where the only fresh air is! Oh, Israel is planning more military efforts? Did they call you and tell you? If they read any of your stuff, I am betting they didnt talk to you. However, I am sure, like all governments...that Israel is planning military efforts continuously. A few of those tunnel air freshened rockets land on the other side of the Strip and I am sure those plans will be made more clear to everyone. The situation sucks, no doubt!

The UN should use the word apartheid in connection with Israel and consider sanctions with the former South Africa serving as a model. Miguel dÉscoto Brockman, president of the UN General Assembly, conveyed this message at a meeting on November 24th 2008 with the UN General Secretary Ban Ki-moon present.

WHAT? Apartheid again! This is nothing like Apartheid. This was about survival. At what point did the South Africans declare war on the White Settlers of South Africa and have a bunch of neighboring countries help and even charter a goal to end the White Settlers existence?

Not once, during the past 60 years, has Israel shown any intention of living up to the requirements stipulated by the UN, in connection with the country's membership in 1948, namely that the Palestinians who had been evicted from their homes should be allowed to return at the earliest possible opportunity. Moreover, Israel holds the hardly flattering world record of ignoring UN resolutions.

It can be questioned from the aspect of human rights legislation whether Israel is a legitimate state. Established practice between states usually requires borders that are legally maintained and a constitution, neither of which Israel has. These requirements are also named in the UN resolution (181) Partition Plan for Palestine, approved by the General Assembly in November 1947. The plan was accepted by the Zionists Jews in Palestine but rejected for excellent reasons as unjust by the Arab states. Only decisions made by the UN Security Council are mandatory. Later on, Israel unilaterally laid claim to a considerably larger portion of land than that suggested by the UN.

Have you actually read UN resolution 181? If so, this is just grossly slanted journalism and to think that you got a award is mindboggling.

Source 4

This was how they planned to roll out UN 194. It was what was to happen on BOTH sides of the equation. I am interested in the choice of last 60 years as a number. Because it is actually a hair longer than that that Israel agreed to the whole thing. The boundaries and the international holding of Jerusalem and the joint working with their neighboring Arab state of Palestine. They AGREED to it! Who didn't...PALESTINE! What did they do after they didn't agree to it? Well we all know that...

The eviction of eighty per cent of the Palestinians who lived west of the 1947 armistice line, and Israel's refusal to allow them to return is the human rights argument for expelling Israel from the UN. Not only has Israel played the Partition Plan false but has, by its actions, thwarted the grounds - fragile from the start - for its UN membership.

You know why the 1947 Armistice Line is not honored? Because in 1967, the friends of Palestine attacked again in the Six Day War and lost. You will seen no Armistice with Palestine in 1967 Armistice, because they never accepted the UN Partition Plan.

Source 6

Keep talking about the Resolutions, but don't really talk about what is in them

11. Resolves that the refugees wishing to return to their homes and live at peace with their neighbours should be permitted to do so at the earliest practicable date, and that compensation should be paid for the property of those choosing not to return and for loss of or damage to property which, under principles of international law or in equity, should be made good by the Governments or authorities responsible;

Source 7

The UN is a joke. Let's see. There are countries that are sworn to your destruction and have tried it more than a couple of times. How exactly is one to go about figuring out who wants to be buddies? I mean that is what the resolution says verbatim. I am sure that if you lost your house in a war of aggression by your country, there is going to be little reparations coming your way. So yeah...nice words UN and as usual no bite to them at all. That is a VERY COMMON theme in the entire conflict!

Israel makes use of various strategies to achieve its goals, the same goals as for over a hundred years ago: As few and as well controlled and weakened Palestinians as possible in areas as small as possible between the Mediterranean and the River Jordan. And to try and get acceptance worldwide for the theft of land that is vital to the 'state" that calls itself "Jewish and democratic". This obviously bears no similarity to a peace process.

Why does nobody ever comment on the fact that Israel's prime minister never misses an opportunity to harp on about how important it is that the rest of the world and the Palestinians recognise Israel, not as a democratic country for all its citizens, but as a "Jewish state"?

Slight exaggeration to say the least, but the question really is why does Israel want to force Palestine (under any agreement) to acknowledge the "Jewish State". Why? Because the majority arab states refuse to do it. The ones that they have and honoured peace treaties with have acknowledged Israel. They might not like it, but they acknowledged the state. If you don't acknowledge Israel, how can you make peace with it? But here is what really gets me... If you want to stick it to Israel, the answer is simple. Tell the world you accept the Partition Plan! What a wrench that would put in the whole mix...because trust me...that is NOT what Israel wants to hear! That means that they have to give up Jerusalem as a UN Controlled City. The reason that Jerusalem is not a UN controlled city is largely because the plan was never accepted by both sides. Therefore, it is not really binding. This author keeps trying to hold Israel's feet to the fire listing resolution after resolution...but Palestine had some responsibilities as well that they have never lived up to! Palestinians unite under Abbas and have him tell the UN that Palestine is now willing to live up to the Partition Plan and watch Israel sweat!

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 12th Dec, 2008 - 4:14pm

Post Date: 12th Dec, 2008 - 3:32pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Revoking Israel's Un Membership Judaism Studies

I think that if the UN kicks Israel out then we need to kick the UN out of the United States and drop ourselves from the UN also. Israel is a country that holds great sway over the end of times according to the bible.

I believe that from this article the person writing it has something against Israel. Maybe it was written by a Palestinian who is upset because they have not been able to take over Israel yet.

12th Dec, 2008 - 4:12pm / Post ID: #

Membership Israels Revoking

In the article The end of Zionism, published in the Guardian on September the 15th 2003 the Jewish dissident and former speaker of Knesset, Avraham Burg wrote:

"Diaspora Jews for whom Israel is a central pillar of their identity must pay heed and speak out "¦ We cannot keep a Palestinian majority under an Israeli boot and at the same time think ourselves the only democracy in the Middle East. There cannot be democracy without equal rights for all who live here, Arab as well as Jew ... The prime minister should present the choices forthrightly: Jewish racism or democracy."

You know, this is the most truthful part of the entire article and it figures that it is a quote from another author. However, it is odd if you think about it. If you study the origins of the idea of a Israeli State, they weren't sure about it then either. Einstein didn't even want a Jewish State and he was offered its 2nd Presidency. All the way up until the Partition Plan was run through the UN there was a debate on the true nature of Israel. The failure of agreement from both sides on the Partition Plan ensured that it would end up to be a Zionist State. Had both sides agreed to the Plan, then that would not have been the case for a significant portion of Israel as they were not the majority of the area that made up the Mandate of Palestine.

No support can be found in The UN recommendation concerning a Jewish and a Palestinian state for unequal rights for the citizens of each country. Neither is there any indication as to how a "Jewish" state could become Jewish. There is support, however, for the intention that demographic conditions should be held intact at partition. Interpreting into the text an intention concerning characteristics of a "Jewish state" tailored to the ideology of Zionism is wholly in contradiction with the text of the resolution.

Yes, absolutely correct, but the problem is that Palestine didn't agree to it. Oh, and there is that little thing about declaring war after they declared independence. That kind of thing pretty much wipes out goodwill. It wasn't a little war either. Had Palestine and Co prevailed, the general thinking is that there wouldn't even be any "concentration camps" from which we could complain about poor Israeli treatment because they would all be dead. That is a bit hard to get past in only 60 years.

Even the Balfour Declaration, which entirely lacks human rights status, notes that the Jewish national home in Palestine should in no way encroach upon the rights of the Palestinians. Neither did US President Truman recognise Israel as a Jewish state. On the contrary, he ruled out precisely that formulation before making his decision to recognise Israel.

We mention Balfour, but seem to forget about the White Paper. Read them both and you can see why there is a difference of opinion...because there WAS a difference of opinion all the way...well actually it still continues!

Source 7
Source 3
Source 4

That is right folks! The Balfour Declaration needed Churchill to write a paper to better define it and subsequently was tossed aside by the White Paper of '39. Balfour wanted a co-working jewish state within Palestine. It wasn't really clear on how it to be done, so Churchill decided to clear it up with further ambiguous wordings in his paper. It was all changed with the '39 version and then in the end the UN Partition Plan was even more different. Of course, the author of this article makes it sound so clear and cut as to what the problem is and who is to blame!

Thus, the legitimacy of a "Jewish state" so urgently sought by Israel lacks support in international documents that concern the building of the state. Israel's government is, of course, fully aware of this. Why else would it keep on searching for this recognition?

Gosh...since they have been trying to define if or if it shouldn't be for so long as you can see above (oh and there are letters going back as far as 1800's as to the thought of a Jewish homeland), think they might be a bit insecure. And how often can the "little general" from Iran continue to tell them that they shouldnt exist? But this is a nice display of circular logic that is. The fact is that the plans that were laid out were not agreed to by both sides. The resolutions that are spewed out require that both sides agree. It detent happen. The UN was stupid for acknowledging Israel without taking control of Jerusalem in the beginning. The UN didn't enforce the resolution. By acknowledging Israel without control of Jerusalem, they in a sense ok'd its takeover. NICE GOING UN!

The UN should now embark on a boycott of the apartheid state of Israel and, with the threat of expulsion from the UN, demand that Israel allows the evicted Palestinian refugees to return in accordance with the UN resolutions 194 and 3236.

With this done, meaningful peace talks can proceed and various solutions be reached for co-habitation with equal rights for all people between the Mediterranean and the River Jordan. No such solution can be compatible with the preservation of a Jewish apartheid state.

I just cant get away from the fact that Palestine has waged war multiple times on Israel, but according the the author, Israel should just give Palestine everything back to what the Partition Plan laid out and they should live by the Partition Plan prior to Palestine even agreeing to the Partition Plan. The author even suggest reparations. I guess I missed that part on war about when if you start a war and you lose you get paid if they take your house. WOW!

I said study the real history about how Israel came to be before you make your decision on who is right and who is wrong. There is a reason for it. Because if you can find the angel in all of this mess...good luck. St Arafat? I don't think so. St. Sharon? Nope

The whole situation has been screwed up from the beginning. Was there really ever a Jewish Country to lay claim to in the past? Interesting question. An even more interesting question might be was there really ever a country called Palestine? Would the Partition Plan ever have really worked? The author flogs it about as the guideline for what the Israelis should do...was it workable for the Palestinians? Apparently not at the time, since they wouldn't sign it?

The Arab leadership (in and out of Palestine) opposed the plan.[73]. The Arabs argued that it violated the rights of the majority of the people in Palestine, which at the time was 67% non-Jewish (1,237,000) and 33% Jewish (608,000). Arab leaders also argued a large number of Arabs would be trapped in the Jewish State. Every major Arab leader objected in principle to the right of the Jews to an independent state in Palestine, reflecting the policies of the Arab League.

But if you read the Plan, there really is no Jewish State. It is Israel, but those "trapped" were to be represented and in certain areas of Israel, they would be a majority, just not Israel overall. But the truth is...this idea was never going to work because they all had their agendas and weren't going to let go. Gurion actually told people in confidence (apparently broken) that even if he did sign the Plan that he intended on pushing out the remaining Palestinians and create a Zionist state. Palestine and its neighbors apparently saw no reason to accept a slicing of the "country" and showed their displeasure. Palestine was already under great pressure since very shortly with the immigration flooding into the country...Palestinians were going to be a minority quickly.

Folks, it is a mess and if you have someone that thinks they know the answer to it I would love to hear it, because the more I have looked into it the more convinced I am that nothing was going to work and there was going to be a blow up at some point.

Einstein was right...

Einstein publicly stated reservations about the proposal to partition the British-supervised British Mandate of Palestine into independent Arab and Jewish countries. In a 1938 speech, "Our Debt to Zionism", he said: "I am afraid of the inner damage Judaism will sustain-especially from the development of a narrow nationalism within our own ranks, against which we have already had to fight strongly, even without a Jewish state. ... If external necessity should after all compel us to assume this burden, let us bear it with tact and patience."[74] In a 1947 letter to Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, Einstein stated that the Balfour Declaration's proposal to establish a national home for Jews in Palestine "redresses the balance" of justice and history.

The boarders drawn following WWII in the spirit of trying to do exactly what Einstein said...redressing the balance...have cause more problems than they have solved! The Japanese Island disputes with China, Korea and Russia. The problem of Israel. Iraq is an insane creation. Yugoslavia...that was genius. The list just goes on and on...

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 12th Dec, 2008 - 4:20pm

> TOPIC: Revoking Israel's Un Membership

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,