Governed Poverty

Governed Poverty - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 15th Dec, 2008 - 7:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Confucius
Post Date: 13th Dec, 2008 - 2:13pm / Post ID: #

Governed Poverty

Governed Poverty

Consider the following quote and place your thoughts.

In a country well governed poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed wealth is something to be ashamed of.
-- Confucius

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Dec, 2008 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Governed Poverty
A Friend

Poverty Governed

I am not sure that I agree with this statement. If I was poor in a well governed country why would I or any one else be ashamed. There is always going to be those who are better off than others. Many of the people who are barely scraping by are happy where they are and what they have earned for themselves. If they take hand outs are they more or less ashamed?

In a poorly managed country why should one who has worked hard to get where they are at be ashamed of their wealth? Is it their fault for working hard and getting to the point they do not have to worry at all? If they are helping the poor is their shame lessened or greater?

Post Date: 15th Dec, 2008 - 7:09pm / Post ID: #

Governed Poverty
A Friend

Governed Poverty Health & Special Psychology

Governed Poverty

Consider the following quote and place your thoughts.

In a country well governed poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed wealth is something to be ashamed of.
-- Confucius

I think I can see what Confucius means here. Ideally, of course, we would hope to eradicate poverty. A well governed country should therefore be one that seeks to do so. How that is done and in what time frame are further issues to discuss within this one but I think thats what he is alluding too. For example, here in the UK, the governing party have a set a target to end all child poverty by, I think, 2012. Confucius is basically telling us that a well goverend, rich, peaceful and lawful state should use these attributes to help the less fortunate.

The second part is the other side of the coin. A badly governed state has little inclination to help the poor. For example we can see that in Zimbabwe the current President and elites are more interested in lining their own pockets and holding on to power that actually helping their country to flourish. The poor get sick, starve and generally live a life of misery whilst the wealthy elites ignore them and keep to themselves. Here we can see that any wealth in the country is not being used to help the poor and as such is not being used for a noble purpose.

I've heard a little about Confucius but not enough to be any kind of expert, however, I hope this is what he was leaning towards.

> TOPIC: Governed Poverty

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,