Barbarian
Barbarian
Cleric
Cleric

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (13) »
Forum RPG
15th Dec, 2008 - 6:25pm / Post ID: #

Hunger Of The Wolf

This is to give credit due where it is owed and a personal thanks to all involved since we have been enjoying their hard work so much here.

By Kieran Coghlan

Hunger of the Wolf

Two dice, a pencil and an eraser are all you need to embark on this adventure, which comes complete with its own elaborate combat system and a score sheet to record your progress. It is up to YOU to decide which routes to follow, which dangers to risk and which foes to fight.

Thanks to Dave Holt for designing this template, Simon Osborne for his advice and to The Oiseau for his excellent Advelh program.

So all the fun stuff like rules and regs read this if you are unsure how a battle or turn was made different then you expected.

Skill, Stamina and Luck

Roll one die. Add 6 to the number rolled and enter this total in the SKILL box on the Adventure Sheet.

Roll one die. Add 18 to the number rolled and enter this total in the STAMINA box.

Roll one die. Add 6 to the number and enter this total in the LUCK box.

For reasons that will be explained below, all your scores will change constantly during the adventure. You must keep an accurate record of these scores, and for this reason, you are advised to write small in the boxes or to keep an eraser handy. However, never rub out your Initial scores, except on those very rare occasions when the text specifically tells you so.

Although you may be rewarded additional SKILL, STAMINA and LUCK points, these totals may never exceed your initial Scores, except on very rare occasions, when you will instructed on a particular page.

Your SKILL reflects your general expertise in fighting and combat; the higher the better. Your STAMINA score reflects your general constitution, your overall will to survive, your determination and overall fitness; the higher your STAMINA score, the longer you will be able to survive. Your LUCK score indicates how naturally lucky a person you are. Luck - and Magic - are facts of life in the fantasy kingdoms you are about to explore.

Battles

During your adventure, you will often come across pages in the book, which instruct you to fight a creature of some sort. An option to flee may be given, but if not - or if choose to attack the creature anyway - you must resolve the battle as described below.

First, record the opponent's SKILL and STAMINA scores in the first empty Encounter box on your Adventure Sheet. The scores for each opponent or creature are given in the book each time you have an encounter. You should also make a note of any special abilities or instructions, which are unique to that particular opponent.

The sequence of combat is then:

1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add its SKILL score. This total is the opponents Attack Strength.

2. Roll two dice for yourself. Add the number rolled to your current STAMINA score. This total is your Attack Strength.

3. If your Attack Strength is higher than your opponent's is, you have wounded it. Proceed to step 4. If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher than yours is, it has wounded you. Proceed to step 5. If both Attack Strength totals are the same, you have avoided each other's blows - start the next Attack Round from steps 1 above.

4. You have wounded your opponent; so subtract 2 points from its STAMINA score. You may use LUCK here to do additional damage (see below). Proceed to step 7.
*AFF players may use the Damage Tables at the back of the book.

5. Your opponent has wounded you; so subtract 2 points from your STAMINA score. You may use LUCK to reduce the loss of STAMINA (see below). Proceed to step 7.

6. Make the appropriate adjustments to either your opponents or your own STAMINA scores (and your LUCK score if you used LUCK - see over).

7. Begin the next Attack Round, starting again at step 1 with your current SKILL score. This sequence continues until the STAMINA score of either you or your opponent reaches zero (death). If your opponent dies, you are free to continue with your adventure. If you die, your adventure ends and you must start all over again by creating a new character.

Escaping

On some pages you may be given the option of running away from a battle should things be going badly for you. However, if you do run away, your opponent automatically gets in one wound on you (subtract 2 STAMINA points) as you flee. Such is the price of cowardice! Note that you may use LUCK on this wound in the normal way (see below). You may only escape if that option is specifically given to you on the page.

Fighting More Than One Opponent

In some situations, you may find yourself facing more than one person or creature in combat and will either have to fight them one at a time or all at the same time! If fighting them one at a time simply fight the first one on the list as normal. Once that opponent is defeated move on to the next one until they are all defeated. When you find yourself fighting multiple opponents at once, each adversary will make a separate attack on you in the course of each Attack Round, but you can choose which one to fight. Attack your chosen target as in a normal battle. Against any additional opponents you roll the dice for your Attack Strength in the normal way; if your Attack Strength is greater than your opponent's is, in this instance, you will not inflict any damage; you can regard it as if you have parried an incoming blow. If your Attack Strength is lower than your adversary's is, however, you will be wounded in the normal way.

Luck

At various times during your adventure, either in battles or when you come across other situations in which you could either be Lucky or Unlucky (details of these are given in the relevant pages themselves), you may use LUCK to make the outcome more favourable to you. However, beware! Using LUCK is a risky business and, if you are unlucky, the results could be disastrous.

The procedure for using your luck is as follows: roll two dice. If the number rolled is less than or equal to your current LUCK score, you have been Lucky and the outcome will be in your favour. If the number rolled is higher than your current LUCK score, you have been Unlucky and will be penalised.

This procedure is known as Testing your Luck. Each time you Test your Luck, you must subtract 1 point from your current LUCK score. Thus, you will soon realise that, the more you rely on your LUCK, the more risky this procedure will become.

Using Luck in Battles

On certain pages of the book, you will be told to Test your Luck, and will be told the consequences of your being Lucky or Unlucky. However, in battles you always have the option of using your LUCK either to inflict more serious damage on an opponent you have just wounded or to minimise the effects of a wound you have just received.

If you have just wounded an opponent, you may Test your Luck as described above. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound; deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA score. However, if you are Unlucky, however, your blow only scratches your opponent, and you deduct only 1 point from your opponent's STAMINA (instead of scoring the normal 2 points of damage, you now only score 1).

Whenever you yourself are wounded in combat, you may Test your Luck to try to minimise the wound. If you are Lucky, your opponent's blow only grazes you; deduct only 1 point from your STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, your wound is a serious one and you must deduct 1 extra STAMINA point (I.e., a total of 3 points from your own STAMINA). Remember: you must subtract 1 point from your LUCK score each time you Test your Luck.

More about your Attributes

Skill
Your SKILL score will not change much during the course of your adventure. Occasionally a paragraph may give you instructions to increase or decrease your SKILL score, but it may not exceed its Initial value unless you are specifically instructed to the contrary.

Stamina

Your STAMINA score will change a lot during your adventure. It will drop because of wounds received through combat, or by falling foul of traps and pitfalls; and it will drop after you perform any particularly arduous task. If you"re STAMINA score ever falls to zero or below, you have been killed and should stop reading the book immediately. Brave adventurers who wish to pursue their quest must roll up a new character and start all over again.

Luck

Additions to your LUCK score may be awarded in the adventure when you have been particularly lucky or created your own luck by some other action. Details are given, where appropriate, in the paragraphs of the book. Remember that, as with SKILL and STAMINA, your LUCK score may never exceed its initial value unless specifically instructed on a page.

Provisions

During your adventure, you may acquire provisions. You may rest and eat a portion of provisions at any time except when engaged in battle. Each portion of provisions you eat will restore up to 4 Stamina points.

Equipment

You will start your adventure with a bare minimum of equipment, but you may find or buy other items during your travels. You are armed with a sword and are dressed in leather clothing. You do not start with a backpack and you cannot carry provisions until you acquire one. With a backpack you may carry up to ten portions of provisions.

Codewords

Throughout the adventure you will be required to record various codewords to monitor your progress. You can tick these off on the Codeword Checklist on page 10.

Hints on Play

This adventure is dangerous. You might well fail on your first attempt. Make notes and draw a map as you explore - this map will prove invaluable when making further forays in this adventure, and it will enable you to progress more rapidly to unexplored sections. Remember: when you are travelling through any environment, it is a good idea to make a note of where such encounters lie in the adventure ahead, including useful objects and information to aid you on your dangerous quest.

Be wary about testing your Luck, unless a paragraph instructs you to do this! When it comes to fights, you should Test your Luck only to keep yourself alive if an opponent's blow would otherwise kill you. However, be warned! If you decide to use Luck in this way, be certain your adversary is worth it- Luck points are precious!

You start this mission with very few possessions, but will be given opportunities to collect food, weapons, and items. However, choose your equipment carefully - although many are precious or magical, others are red herrings and of no real value at all.

You will soon realise that paragraphs make no sense if read in numerical order. It is essential that you read only the paragraphs you are instructed to go to. Reading other sections lessens the excitement and surprise during play. The only true way to success in this adventure involves minimal risk; even if your character scores are low, you should be able to find magical artefacts and weapons that may increase your chances of victory in battle. 

Sponsored Links:
15th Dec, 2008 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Wolf The Hunger

Ok so here we go I rolled it up and we start with the following stats.

Stamina 22 Skill 12 Luck7 So our Barbarian might not be so lucky be handy with a sword me thinks.

1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add its SKILL score. This total is the opponents Attack Strength.

2. Roll two dice for yourself. Add the number rolled to your current STAMINA score. This total is your Attack Strength.

Me thinks the skill score shall be added in both the case of attacker and defender. Looks like a typo.

Now on with the show as they say.

BACKGROUND

You struggle desperately against your captors' strong grip on your arm. Your corded muscles tighten from the exertion and for a second you free your arms and smash your fist into the jaw of one of the treacherous scum. It is to no avail however; as two more take his place and grip your arm even tighter. Confidently, they press it against the wood and hold it steady.

"Nail him!" snarls Saul triumphantly. One man is holding a long iron nail and a hammer. You renew your struggle, but your arm is held in a vice-like grip. The nail is placed on your wrist and the hammer is brought down on its head. Your whole body is wracked with pain as the hammer nails your bloody wrist into the wood of the cross. You cry out in agony and can barely put up any resistance at all as the vile conspirators do the same to your left arm. Finally, they turn their attention to your legs. You lash out and succeed in winding one of them in the stomach with your brutish kick.

"Defiant to the end," says Saul with a bitter smile. 'I would have expected nothing less."

It does not take them long to hold your legs steady and yet another nail is driven through both your feet into the cross. You tilt your head back and give a scream of impotent rage. Without a word, the traitors attach ropes to the ends of the cross and haul it upright. You stare down at Saul and his followers. Your former lieutenant looks up at you with glee.

"So now we see who is the true master," he mocks, his yellow eyes bright with delight and his long grey hair flapping in the night time breeze. "Your army will abandon you and follow me. I will achieve greatness and be remembered for centuries while you will die and be forgotten. Farewell!"

With this he bows, then he and his co-conspirators mount their steeds and take off into the night. You gaze desperately at the bleak landscape of gently rolling hills surrounding you. No one will come for you out here. You hang your head in dejection recalling how you came to be left crucified by your own soldiers.

A barbarian from north-eastern Allansia, you always had a feeling of wanderlust unusual to your simple people. You had travelled the world seeking your fortune and have seen many sights that your own folk would have doubted existed: the majesty of Salamonis; the villainy and danger of crowded Port Blacksand; the decadent civilizations of the Old World and the towering peaks of Kazan. Your strength and natural charisma soon brought you a crowd of followers who you led to victory against the caravans of fat and greedy merchants. One of your followers, the mysterious Saul, rose quickly to your attention, but you were never particularly fond of him. A natural fighter, who threw himself into combat with the ferocity of a wild animal, you realized his potential and made him your lieutenant. You and he grew bolder in your raids and soon you had a sizeable army of followers. You had your army camped outside the village of Fenmarge on the southern edge of Scorpion Swamp; a place so foul that only the most foolhardy dare tread. It was there that Saul made his move. Pretending that there were some potential new recruits waiting, he and his co-conspirators led you to this place at the edge of the swamp. Before you knew what was happening they were upon you, desperately trying to fix you to the cross that they had left there in preparation.

You raise your head, your lungs straining in the effort to breathe. The moon casts its pale light on your face and with a growl you yell a promise: you will free yourself somehow and will not rest until Saul has died by your hand! Once you have made this terrible vow, you turn your gaze downward and are startled to find you are no longer alone. Standing at the foot of the cross is a powerful looking man with a thick brown beard and dressed in furs. A silver medallion hangs from his neck. He looks up at you, but says not a word.

"Well, have you come to aid me or to see the mighty barbarian fallen into deepest shame?" you ask impatiently. "I can promise you that I will not beg for your help so expect no satisfaction on that score!" The man continues to say nothing, but moves a finger in three quick motions. Suddenly the nails supporting your body vanish and you fall to the rough ground on your knees.

Read on"¦ 

Turn to 1

15th Dec, 2008 - 6:38pm / Post ID: #

Hunger Of The Wolf Archive Pathfinder / D&D

You pull yourself to your feet, rubbing the wounds in your wrists (until these wounds are healed you must subtract 2 points from your Skill score).

"My thanks," you mutter to the bearded man as you pull your boots back over your sore feet. "And who might you be, my friend?"

The man looks at you silently for a second before replying. "I am known as the Master of Wolves, a sorcerer of some note," he replies in a deep voice.

"I have never trusted wizards, but I will make an exception in your case," you say with a faint smile.

You scan the area for your sword and find it lying a few feet away from the cross. You walk over on your still tender feet and pick it up.

"You will follow me," speaks the wizard in his slow voice, beckoning you.

All this is very odd. If you want to follow the Master of Wolves, turn to 70. If you would rather walk away from him, turn to 212.

So do we follow of strike off on our own?

15th Dec, 2008 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Wolf The Hunger

Follow the wizard, perhaps he will have something of value to show or teach us. At the very least he probably can heal our wounds.

16th Dec, 2008 - 4:15pm / Post ID: #

Wolf The Hunger

I will not be able to say much in this game as I have dabbled in this one to ensure it is well better then some we have done. All I can say is this should be our best rpg book yet. Many more decisions to make and much more interactive.

So I do hope many more join in.

18th Dec, 2008 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Hunger Of The Wolf

Your mysterious guide leads you silently through the countryside as the sun begins to rise over the horizon, filling the sky with a dull red glow. The ground gets boggier and it is clear he is leading you into Scorpion Swamp. You are just contemplating whether this is such a good idea when a wolf comes bounding out of the sickly trees towards you. It stops by the wizard, wagging its tail obediently. The master of Wolves bends down and strokes the back of the beast's head while whispering something in its ear. The wolf scampers away and the Master motions for you to follow it. The two of you pursue it into the swamp proper. It is a mire of sinking ground, dying vegetation and noxious vapours. The trees are so thick above you that you can barely see the daylight above. The wolf patiently leads you through this foul place until finally you emerge in a clearing. A solitary wooden hut stands at the far end of the clearing. Several wolves pace around its perimeter.

"My home," says the Master of Wolves with a smile. He then leads you into the hut by the door. Turn to 399.

He beckons for you to sit at one of two wooden chairs by a plain wooden table. You do so and he sits opposite you resting his muscular arms on the table. Gain the codeword 'bark'.

"You are probably wondering why I rescued you and brought you here," he begins. "Trust me when I say it was no altruistic motive that led me into saving you from the cross. Your betrayer goes by the name of Saul I believe?" Your eyes flare at the mention of Saul, but you remain silent. "I can see you want Saul dead," he continues. "I want him dead too."

"What harm has Saul done you," you ask.

"That is not important to you. All you need to know is that we both want Saul dead and it is because of this mutual goal that I have helped you."

You nod in agreement. You were going to kill Saul anyway, knowing that another wants him dead will not affect this. If you have the codeword 'parrot', turn to 214. If not, turn to 135.

"You have yourself a deal," you say with a grim smile. He grins enthusiastically.

"But you won't be up to killing anyone in the condition you're in," he says. "Here, let me heal your wounds."

He places his hands on your wrists and feet and you can feel the wounds close (restore the 2 points lost from your Skill score). Turn to 285.

The Master fits a sturdy backpack on your shoulders (this backpack contains enough salted pork for five meals). The Master then leads you out of his home and you blink as you emerge into the morning sunlight.

"Good luck, my friend," he says. "Take the trail east and then head south and that should take you to the village of Fenmarge. They're a bunch of foolish yokels there, so you should have no trouble finding out from them where Saul and the army are headed."

He then gives you a hearty slap on the back and re-enters his hut. You shake your head at the circumstances that led you to have such an undesirable ally before leaving the clearing via a trail heading east. Turn to 332.

The trees begin to get sparser and the ground gets more moist as you follow the trail east. The morning sun warms you with its welcome heat, invigorating you after your ordeal last night.

Your pleasant stroll is suddenly interrupted by several arrows flying out from behind some boulders to your left. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 120. If you are Unlucky, turn to 196.

we are lucky rolled 3.

The arrows miss you by inches. You spot your enemies hiding behind the rocks. They are small, warty and brown skinned - swamp orcs. These creatures are nasty pieces of work, but not completely devoid of reason. If you wish to try to parley with them, turn to 320. If you would rather charge into them, before they have a chance to fire again, turn to 72.

Reconcile Edited: krakyn on 18th Dec, 2008 - 5:50pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Dec, 2008 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

Hunger Of The Wolf
A Friend

Hunger The Wolf

ORCS?! I hate orcs. I say kill them before they can reload. smile.gif We are skilled I would say.

19th Dec, 2008 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Hunger The Wolf D&D / Pathfinder Archive

Three swamp orcs discard their bows and draw short swords. You must fight all three at the same time.

First SWAMP ORC Skill:6 Stamina:5
Second SWAMP ORC Skill:6 Stamina:4
Third SWAMP ORC Skill:6 Stamina:6

If you win, turn to 164.

So our stats are att 12 stam 22 we are strong me thinks.

I think we take out number two first. Weakest reduce one round of attacks.

one stam 4 us 22
roll st roll st

10 2 14 22
10 miss
9 miss

9 dead 16 22
9 miss
8 miss

1 drops sword 3 18 22
7 miss

1 drop sword 1 1 dropped sword 20 *blushig*
10 hit

12 dead 15 20
11 miss

12 4 16 20
10 2 18 20
9 dead

On we go 164

Inspecting the orcs' bodies, you find three portions of provisions (you can only take these if you have a backpack to store them in) and five gold pieces which you place in your belt pouch. The orcs' longbows were all broken in their desperation to discard them and so are of no use to you. Looking around this clearing, you see there are two ways forward. To head east, turn to 263. To take the southern trail, turn to 211.

5 gp and 3 food nice!

Our final battle stats 20 stam.

So now which way to we go?

+  1 2 3 4 5  ...Latest (13) »

> TOPIC: Hunger Of The Wolf

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.