Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue

+  1 2 
In role-playing games
Post Date: 15th Mar, 2006 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater!

Cheater!

Have you ever played with someone that was a Cheater? Have you ever accused your GM of cheating?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 16th Mar, 2006 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater!
A Friend

Cheater RPG

I have only met one person who cheats often when we play D&D and as you can imagine not many people are willing to play a game with him more then once. People who cheat don't play for the experience and enjoyment of it, they play to win, and to those people I am afraid you"re missing the point of rpg. This is not to say white lies and exaggerations aren't common place, a lot people got a little gloomy when there down on their luck.

GM's are a different story. They"re not bound to the game rules in the same way, and therefore can't technically cheat, basically they can cheat with impunity. Often some of a GM's most memorable moments are the result of a bit of improvisation, and if the story needs you to rig a certain result then do it. This will annoy the players, so don't do it much if possible. GM's who cheat all the time, are ones who have either badly planned the campaign or taking it all too personally, either sort don't usually make good GM's and like with players who cheat don't last all that long.

Reconcile Edited: Roehug on 16th Mar, 2006 - 5:00pm

Post Date: 28th Mar, 2006 - 6:11pm / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater!
A Friend

RPG Cheater! Reviews RPG & Card Board

How exactly can you cheat other than lying about your dice roll?

28th Mar, 2006 - 6:23pm / Post ID: #

Cheater RPG

Hall, you are kidding by asking that question right? Here are things players in Table Top RPGs do:

1. Pencil in a piece of equipment they need at a particular time even though they did not purchase it

2. Not take off the damage they should because it would put them on '0'

3. Pretend that they did not say something that would get their character in trouble when in fact they are lying or saying the GM did not hear them correctly

4. Not playing within alignment is a blatant cheat too in my opinion

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2006 - 2:29pm / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater!
A Friend

Cheater RPG

I always keep a list of who has what items and how much health they have. To tell the truth only one of my friends ever does anything MacGyverish so he's the one I watch the most. It doesn't matter who the GM is his words are final; If you say something and he misunderstands you the NPCs in the game misunderstood your character as well. I just recently started playing D&D so alignments are rather new to me. I consider them to be more like guidelines than anything else. A normally good person can have moment of weakness and and evil person may grant some small mercy once in a while. If they do it too often though Alignments can change. At least in my world they can.

Offtopic but,
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Spring break came along and I stopped using the internet for a while. Then I broke 4 of my fingers undecided.gif it takes so long to type.

Message Edited!
Persephone: Corrected offtopic tags/

16th Dec, 2006 - 9:09am / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater!

I think the term 'cheating' is a subjective term. Any time someone attempts to truly circumvent, immediately defeat or overcome an obstacle, or intentionally unbalance or breeze through the game, I can see where that would be cheating. In the case of equipment however, I'm much more of a common sense, loose interpretation fudger, I'll pencil in an item here or there, or switch a die roll or not mark off a Hit Point - but I also do the opposite if I can get a good role-playing opportunity out of it - I don't keep track of ammo and as a gamemaster, I don't expect others to do so, and if there's a party of adventurers going to scale a mountain, I don't ask if anyone brought rope - of COURSE someone brought rope! RPGs are about the CHARACTERS, not the gadgets or the firepower - if they want to try something cool, inventive and/or McGyverish, I'm all for it, even if they don't have the abilities - let's see how it turns out!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
16th Dec, 2006 - 11:21am / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater!

Interesting points, however where does the learning take place if someone really did forget the rope? When they can't climb the mountain they will know why they need not only rope, but rope and a grappling hook, a backpack to carry their stuff so their hands are free... blah blah.

Cheating comes in when the player did not have an item, but does claim to, that undermines an extra bit of fun that could be had in "How could you forget the rope, you're a Ranger for crying out loud!"

17th Dec, 2006 - 6:58am / Post ID: #

RPG Cheater! Board Card & RPG Reviews

I agree, there is a certain potential of fun and role-playing to be had there and as I said, at times, I've even cheated in reverse, to make a situation more interesting, by indicating that I blew a roll or something.

I think a lot of it depends on each person's playing style and the overall style of the game - if you're playing with newbies, then yes, leaving the rope could be used as a lesson, but for years-long gaming veterans, they don't need to "learn" to "remember the rope" - that sort of detail is amateurish and like old hat - for "how could you forget the rope" role-playing arguments at that level, a player simply decides that he DID forget the rope - this is where a bit of trust and interparty creativity takes over where naivete used to hold sway.

It IS role-playing, after all. You're not playing YOU, you're playing the fighter, the rogue, whatever. If one or more of the characters has any experience in travelling, its a safe bet that rope won't be forgotten, realistically. I don't know how to cypher out particle physics equation and don't expect to be asked to "remember" or "learn" to carry the one, if I'm playing a nuclear physicist - the class/profession/skillset is more than just things to spend money on - they are there to provide a base to work FROM.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: RPG Cheater!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,