Happy Thanksgiving - Page 6 of 13

I like Thanksgiving because its like having - Page 6 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 19th Nov, 2007 - 4:46am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 13 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (13) »

?
Poll: What do you HONESTLY like the most about Thanksgiving Day?
  Being with family       46.43%
  Being with family and relatives       32.14%
  Having a great feast of food       3.57%
  A break from work       7.14%
  Going on a brief vacation       0.00%
  I do not celebrate Thanksgiving Day       10.71%
Total Votes: 28
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
A time to eat or a time to be thankful?
10th Nov, 2007 - 8:51pm / Post ID: #

Happy Thanksgiving - Page 6

That's great DianeC! It seems like both of us will have a very good time making this holiday a family tradition. smile.gif I will invite a couple of friends so we will be 6 in total.

My menu:

Turkey with stuffing

Mash potatoes and gravy

Italian salad

Green bean casserole

Mini cannelloni (made from scratch)

Rolls

Dessert: Fruit salad with whipped cream

Sponsored Links:
10th Nov, 2007 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Thanksgiving Happy

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 10-Nov 07, 3:51 PM)
I will invite a couple of friends so we will be 6 in total.

That's really lovely LDS that you're including your friends in your celebrations!

It's going to be me, Wayne, our 3 'kids' (I know my 18 year old won't thank me for this reference) laugh.gif, and also our eldests girlfriend as they have been dating for a year and a half now!

You're very organized with your menu LDS, you put me to shame, so I've just dug out my American cook book, and along with the turkey we're having stuffing, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, vegetables and gravy.

To start off with the book suggests carrot and orange soup?
I've never tried it before, but as I'm 'hijacking' the American tradition, I'll go with keeping it to the US tradition.

I've got the recipe for a pumpkin pie, which also I've never tried- but we can get the pumpkins fresh so I'll give it a go!

The kids are very excited, and my youngest has requested a chocolate gateaux, so this will be on the menu also.

The book suggests to drink apple cider, but I don't want to bring alcohol to the table, so I'll be replacing this with a good pressed apple juice, or maybe look for a recipe for a non-alcoholic fruit punch.

I can't wait now, and when I sit down for my meal, I'll be thinking of all you guys all over the world, (although by the time I've had my meal, most of you guys will just be getting up and getting ready to cook your meal) *laughs*

However you celebrate though, I hope you all have a great time!

11th Nov, 2007 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

Happy Thanksgiving Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

I've actually made pumpkin pie from scratch, and it's kind of time consuming. You have to cut up the pumpkin, then scrape all the seeds out, boil it till it's soft, peel the rind, then mash and spice it. Then you have to put it in the pie shell and bake it. You may be able to find canned pumpkin pie filling at the grocery, but if not, from scratch has such a fresh, light taste that I prefer it. The canned tends to be over spiced, in my opinion.

DianeC - I've never even heard of carrot-orange soup! I think we probably have regional differences in the menus - the U.S. is just so big, I think it's necessary due to what types of local foods are in season at this time of year. Also, apple cider isn't necessarily alcoholic. It's basically just spiced apple juice (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg). We often have hot spiced cider, where we heat the cider on the stove with cinnamons sticks floating... oh, yum! I can hardly wait!

Also eggnog used to be a big favorite, but now that raw eggs are dangerous to eat due to salmonella in virtually all commercial eggs, the only safe way to make it is from eggs laid by chickens you raise yourself - or, from pasteurized versions you can get at the grocery. And once again, the commercial version is very over spiced, in my opinion. Some folks also think that the only way to drink this is with rum, but I've never had it that way. It's just beaten eggs with some "half and half" (half milk, half cream), a little vanilla, and some spices - again, cinnamon, cloves, and/or nutmeg. Delicious! And if you can make it fresh, it's really lovely. I'll see if I can find an exact recipe.

I'm so excited that you all are planning for this special holiday. My son's girlfriend of nearly 3 years will be hostess this year at their home. We all have so much to be thankful for this year, I'm very much looking forward to it all - even the time spent in the kitchen cleaning up biggrin.gif

11th Nov, 2007 - 10:06pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 Thanksgiving Happy

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas Farseer! I thought carrot and orange soup sounded a bit weird, what starter do you have if you have one?

The spiced apple cider certainly sounds nice, and different too, so I'll give that a go.

I don't think we can get canned pumpkin anywhere, I haven't seen it at any rate, so it looks like I'll have to make it from scratch, but that's ok.

When you mentioned in an earlier post about the fruit salad and cream, did you mean to mix the fruit in with the cream before serving it? (As we would always put the fruit in a bowl then top with cream)
It certainly sounds like a better option than the chocolate gateaux my kids are hankering after laugh.gif

It's wonderful to hear that you will be going to your Son and girlfriends this year-that's great news, and I'm really pleased that you can celebrate together!
Best wishes, Diane.

15th Nov, 2007 - 2:45am / Post ID: #

Thanksgiving Happy

The fruit and whipped cream is actually mixed together. If you use canned fruit, be sure to drain it well or it comes out kind of soupy. What exactly is a chocolate gateaux?! It sounds good, whatever it is wink.gif

And speaking of soup, we don't really use a starter - mostly we are already snacking on finger foods in the relish tray - like olives and pickles - and fresh cut veggies with herb dip whilst watching football and visiting. So sitting down to dinner is all the main meal. A salad might do well rather than soup, but I suppose it all depends on your weather. Looks like it will be sunny and about 80F here!

I'm so delighted that you and LDS_Forever are planning a Thanksgiving event. It really is a happy occasion with our family each year.

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2007 - 6:36pm / Post ID: #

Happy Thanksgiving
A Friend

Happy Thanksgiving

I will be bankrupt after this years thanksgiving. Here is my wifes menu:

Turkey
Ham
Stuffing
Home made cranberry salad
Canned cranberry sauce
glazed carrots
green bean casserole
california mix veggies
corn on the cob
sweet potatoes
mashed potatoes
turkey gravy
rolls
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
chocolate pie

I'm already starving!

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
15th Nov, 2007 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Happy Thanksgiving - Page 6

Kon, at least I see plenty veggies on that menu. laugh.gif Sounds delicious!

I hope to get a turkey at this time of the year here! JB went to the grocery store yesterday and did not see any!

19th Nov, 2007 - 4:46am / Post ID: #

Happy Thanksgiving Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 6

I like Thanksgiving because its like having a good warmup for Christmas. Usually we set up the tree and decorations the day before.

> TOPIC: Happy Thanksgiving

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,