Food Storage Question On Dealing Hoarding Laws

- Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 13th Apr, 2009 - 8:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 29th Dec, 2009 - 4:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My fiancee and I are not Mormon but we've been talking for a long time about how we'd like to have a couple years worth of food on hand in case the economy gets bad, one of us loses our job, etc., and right now she has about three months worth for herself and her daughter, and I have about eight months worth at my house. My question/concern has to do with any anti-hoarding measures in any states or by the U.S. Government that would kick in should there be a "national emergency." I don't see why anyone should have personal property confiscated before the enactment of anti-hoarding legislation or executive orders, but then again it's hard to fight the feds. Has this been discussed much among LDS members since your church encourages people to keep a year's worth of food on hand?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Apr, 2009 - 8:40pm / Post ID: #

Laws Hoarding Dealing Question Storage Food

Name: Michael

Comments: I don't know how long this this question has been unanswered, and I can only give an opinion as a reply.

I believe that there is a difference in storing and "hoarding". Storing is buying in times of abundance for future eventual use. "Hoarding", as I understand it, is excessive buying in times of uncertainty or actual shortages. This is possibly a preliminary to resale "scalping" at often greatly increased prices.

However, that may not be how your neighbors or some Government entity sees things in times of trouble. My advice is to stock up now while you still can. If you do, do NOT tell ANYONE about your preparations! Not your Pastor, not your doctor, and certainly not your neighbors!

Not to be overly dramatic, but how many of your hungry neighbors are you willing to shoot to keep what you have stored for your own family's use? Encourage them to make their own preparations now as well (without tipping your hand too much). If they are favorably disposed, and of like mind, you might even be able to get better prices on bulk-storage items like grain, salt, honey, etc. By combining purchases.

If you can get a number of households to start making preparations together, then every one of them doesn't have to have everything needed for survival. That was the problem with the old "Survivalists". There is just too much to know and too many tools to have, etc. To grow your own food, weave your own clothes, provide for your own livestock, tend your own bees, etc. People live better as part of a community, rather than being isolated. A community can "provide for the common defense" as well. That has been the pattern of History since ancient times.

> TOPIC: Food Storage Question On Dealing Hoarding Laws

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,