Sonia Sotomayor - Page 3 of 5

White House Says Obama Comfortable With Sonia - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st May, 2009 - 9:02pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

U.S.A. US Supreme Court Judge
28th May, 2009 - 8:55pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor - Page 3

Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." - Sonia Sotomayor U.C. Berkeley School of Law, 10/26/2001

Someone needs a dose of humility? Wow, I am all for self-confidence but this goes beyond that. Having said that, I would not consider the statement racist in nature.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
29th May, 2009 - 12:31am / Post ID: #

Sotomayor Sonia

I agree with you LDS_forever.

Her statement is no more racist then if Justice Roberts had said
"I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experience would more often then not, reach a better conclusion then a Latina woman who hasn't lived that (the white man's) life."

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

29th May, 2009 - 12:54am / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor History & Civil Business Politics

However, had Justice Roberts actually made a comment like that which was in print prior to his confirmation...we would probably be calling him Mr Roberts today.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

29th May, 2009 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Sotomayor Sonia

QUOTE (dbackers @ 28-May 09, 8:31 PM)
Her statement is no more racist then if Justice Roberts had said
"I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experience would more often then not, reach a better conclusion then a Latina woman who hasn't lived that (the white man's) life."

I am pretty sure you are being sarcastic however wink.gif if he would have said that I would think the same thing, that he needs a dose of humility and I would personally not call him a racist for that statement alone.

I could however challenge the view of some with regards to this woman in this new position and ask whether they analyze and think in the same way with every Judge that was appointed to such position. Something tells me they don't but that's my personal perception.

Even though I am Hispanic myself (and let's pretend I was a US citizen) I would personally not feel "happy" about the fact that this lady is Latina. It makes no difference to me what race/ethnicity she is, however I find the USA in general (as a country) way too concerned about putting people in different positions (from politics to television) just because they need to put a minority, I think is crazy and in my opinion this creates big challenges for the non-minority groups. It is quite clear that in the case of the Latino group, US citizens in general (if we make a poll) don't like them because of a long list of things (for me, absolutely understandable in most of them). However, it clouds their credibility at the time of judging these times of situations because from the outside, you are not sure whether they *truly* think she is not qualified or they are just angry at the fact that she is Latina and "not all that".

That's my personal view as an outsider.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 29th May, 2009 - 4:58am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sotomayor Sonia

Sotomayor Voted to OK Asylum for Spouses of Women in China Forced Abortions

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- As advocates on both sides of the abortion debate look for any indication of how appeals court Judge Sonia Sotomayor will decide cases on abortion if she is elevated to the Supreme Court, another abortion case on which she issued a decision is coming into play. Sotomayor is known to have written a decision upholding the Mexico City Policy, the provision preventing taxpayer funding of groups that promote and perform abortions overseas and which President Barack Obama overturned. She also ruled in a case concerning pro-life protesters and overturned a lower court decision that went against them. Now, a third abortion case has surfaced from July 2007 in which Sotomayor wrote a dissenting opinion differing from the majority of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in a political asylum case. "The majority clings to the notion that the persecution suffered is physically visited upon only one spouse, but this simply ignores the question of whom exactly the government was seeking to persecute when it acted," Judge Sonia Sotomayor wrote. "The termination of a wanted pregnancy under a coercive population control program can only be devastating to any couple, akin, no doubt, to the killing of a child," she wrote. "The harm is clearly directed at the couple who dared to continue an unauthorized pregnancy in hopes of enlarging the family unit." Ref. Source 9

29th May, 2009 - 6:01am / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor

Sorry LDS,
I was being a little too sarcastic, for this discussion.
It is interesting that these discussions sometimes bring the worst out in me.

I am going to try to focus on the actual argument rather then stoop to sarcasm. I was trying to show that in the United States we seem to have many double standards, and one of them is that Liberals can say pretty much anything and the Press seems to give them a bye.

Thanks

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th May, 2009 - 6:10am / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor - Page 3

I have heard some reports that question her intelligence for the job. This is ridiculus. She is obviously intelligent enough to have gotten through some very fine schools with excellent grades and status. So, those that bash her from that direction I cannot side with in the least.

To me, it doesnt matter if it is a republican or democratic nominee, my main concern is that they are more interested in upholding the constitution rather than looking for opportunities to rewrite it from the bench. Unfortunately, the supreme court has become a platform for social change.

Justice Kennedy: his writings showed that he was interested in social change from the bench as opposed to the legislature. This is why I dont particularly like him as a Justice, but was Reagan's pick after Bork and Ginsburg didnt pass. I particularly like Bork because of his views on the role of this branch of government. While appointed by a republican, he is a swing vote on the bench. He votes conservative on most things, but doesnt side too often with the right wing agenda. So, looking at his voting record now...I guess he is ok. I would hope that this is look into the future of how Sotomayor would rule.

Justice Stevens: I cannot figure the guy out. He seems to morph...his vote has a tendency to be on the moderate to liberal side, but I appreciate that he does go through the effort of explaining his vote one way or another.

Justice Scalia: Since he is an originalist in thinking, I like him a lot as a Justice.

Justice Thomas: Since he is an originalist in thinking, I like him a lot as a Justice.

Justice Breyer: Willing will toss the Constitution aside for what he thinks is right. Never liked his approach to the job. If I could toss one off the bench, here is your winner!

Justice Ginsburg: Didnt like that she wouldnt answer questions on her beliefs during confirmation and actually didnt give much information in which the Senate would make an informed decision...this move would be used in the future. I didnt like it used then either. However, my opinion would be that a justice that worked as a advocate for causes would likely not be able to separate that tendency on the Supreme Court Bench. It would be what got them there. I think she has done an OK job of not become a Advocate Supreme Court Justice and that was my biggest fear. I do not like her willingness to look towards other other countries laws as a basis for rulings on the US Court.

Justices Roberts and Alito: The envolking of the Ginsburg president is unfortunately necessary today to get through confirmation. So with that said, I wish they have the fortitude to reject using it. They are not originist, but do hold the document as a good/best place to start. Their records have been on the conservative side, but can on ocassion go against the the rulings of Thomas and Scalia. Basically, I look at these two as pretty much being clones of each other.

Former Justice Sandra Day O'Connor: I had no problem with her at all with the exception of her use of foreign law for judgements. I like it that she looked at each case on its own merit but yet with a eye towards how lawyers could pervert the judgement later or how she might be making a policy towards future cases based on the one at hand. Basically, she was doing contingency planning. She didnt always vote on the conservative side, but I do like the way she represented the bench.

I am very big on the Supreme Court not making policy. These men and women report to no one once they are confirmed. That power is too great if they use it to start rewriting the Constitution from the bench without any accountability to the public. Pass that litmus test and I no issue with them serving.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 31st May, 2009 - 9:02pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sonia Sotomayor Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

White House Says Obama Comfortable With Sonia Sotomayor's Abortion Views

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- In a lengthy press conference late Thursday, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs fielded more than 40 questions about where Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor stands on the issue of abortion. Gibbs reiterated that President Barack Obama did not ask Sotomayor directly about her abortion views but talked enough about legal theory with her that he feels comfortable with her abortion stance. "In their discussions they talked about the theory of constitutional interpretation, generally including her views on unenumerated rights and the Constitution and the theory of settled law," he said. "He left very comfortable with her interpretation of the Constitution being similar to that of his, though the bulk of the conversation was about her approach to judging." Gibbs largely ducked questions about Sotomayor's abortion views or her position on a so-called "right to privacy" that has been used to validate abortion. He retreated to his boilerplate language saying that Obama and Sotomayor have essentially the same outlook on the Constitution. "He felt comfortable that they shared a philosophy on that interpretation ... [of] the living document of the Constitution of the United States of America," he added. Ref. Source 5

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Sonia Sotomayor

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,