Sonia Sotomayor - Page 2 of 5

I concur. Anyone who throws out the constitution - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 28th May, 2009 - 7:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 

U.S.A. US Supreme Court Judge
27th May, 2009 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor - Page 2

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 27-May 09, 9:58 AM)
She is a racist.  She has clearly stated that her "female Latina" background means that her opinions will be better than those of "white males" who don't have her background.

I read what she said but according to you: How that specifically makes her a racist?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th May, 2009 - 11:47pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sotomayor Sonia

Pro-Life Groups Call on Senate to Question Sonia Sotomayor on Abortion, Roe

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- While Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor has been involved in a handful of decision related to abortion, she has little for pro-life advocates to use to postulate where she stands on the issue of abortion itself and whether she would vote to uphold or reverse Roe v. Wade. The lynchpin of the abortion debate is Roe and its companion case Doe v. Bolton. Combined, they essentially allow unlimited abortions throughout pregnancy for any reason and have resulted in the victimization of more than 50 million unborn children and tens of millions of women. Sotomayor ruled in favor of the Mexico City Policy and overturned a lower court decision concerning First Amendment rights for pro-life protestors, but those decision merely upheld Supreme Court precedent and didn't involve abortion policy. Douglas Johnson, the legislative director of the National Right to Life Committee, noted that in comments to LifeNews.com. "What we have seen of Judge Sotomayor's record so far sheds little light on her views regarding how the Constitution bears on the powers of elected lawmakers to protect the right to life of unborn children," he said. Ref. Source 8

28th May, 2009 - 1:34am / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor History & Civil Business Politics

Racism, to me, is basing your decisions concerning things, both large and small, on the race of the person involved. So, since she has publicly stated, many times, that race is very important to her in her judicial decisions, then she is racist. She thinks her decisions will be better than those of "white males" because she is Hispanic and they are white.

Personally, I don't care what race someone is. I don't like Obama because he is a Marxist and is destroying our country (IMO). I don't like Sotomayor because from what I can see, she is incompetent, biased, on the Left fringe, and an activist judge who holds little regard for the US Constitution.

I like Clarence Thomas, not because of the color of his skin, but because he shows high regard for the Constitution, and he appears, in all ways, to NOT use race as a basis of his judgments. Likewise, I like Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Michelle Malkin, Bill Cosby, and many others, not because of their race or ethnicity, but because they are good at what they do.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

28th May, 2009 - 2:49am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Sotomayor Sonia

Unless the President's Cabinet is extremely incompetent in the vetting of this position, there will not be enough bones in the closet to "Bork" her. Speaking of Robert Bork, a very fine legal mind that was turned away really before his name was even mentioned as a nominee, I like his comment that seems pretty appropriate today...

Bork once said, "The truth is that the judge who looks outside the Constitution always looks inside himself and nowhere else."

See Bork is an "originalist". Bork didn't like to see the court setting policy from the bench without popular approval. He saw this as somewhat unconstitutional and overreaching in power of the Court. Many claim that he looked to strengthen the powers of the executive branch (because they could issue decrees). However, Bork preferred that significant changes be dealt with through legislation or popular referendum to the Constitution. Bork believed that the courts purpose was to put a framework in place, but not necessarily dictate policy.

The fears that Robert Bork has with judges using their seats for Social Activism without any responsibility to the populous is what raises the hairs of many when we read comments like we have from the potential Supreme Court Justice.

If her comment was really more of a person that is proud of their heritage, then perhaps it has been taken out of context or the words on paper missed the tone when delivered. If this is her feelings, it is obvious she will preside as a social activist judge and one very comfortable with setting policy. Her guides as to setting that policy will likely not be found in the constitution as it always points back to the people and their representatives.

Rather off topic, but...
I highly recommend a couple of books from Bork: A Country I Do Not Recognize: The Legal Assault On American Values & Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline.

Honestly, her comments have gotten her in trouble, but her record is fuzzy at best. I "feel" she has left leaning tendencies and her rhetoric suggest that she would be a social activist on the bench, but I have trouble getting concreate proof to back it up. That vagueness or inability to pin her down should be enough to prevent a "Borking".

Reconcile Edited: Vincenzo on 28th May, 2009 - 6:42am

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

Post Date: 28th May, 2009 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor
A Friend

Sotomayor Sonia

I am not sure if I want her on the bench at all. I know I do not get a vote in that but I do hope that some in the senate have the means to show that she is not right for this position.

Post Date: 28th May, 2009 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Sonia Sotomayor

Court pick came after months of scrutiny

President Barack Obama's aides were laying down the law. They had invited liberal activists to the White House two weeks ago to discuss his coming Supreme Court selection, but they were not asking for candidates. Ref. Source 9

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th May, 2009 - 6:15pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor - Page 2

Race was part of the venting process.

Source 2

From the article "Making History Was but One Factor" by Scott Wilson

Senior administration officials acknowledge that history loomed in the background of Obama's weeks-long selection process, which culminated with a choice that will leave his first mark on the court and a fast-growing Hispanic population that supported him by a wide margin in last year's election.

It is widely acknowledged that Obama wanted a Hispanic Female to take the new seat with pressure coming from both hispanic and feminist lobbies.

Even Mrs Sotomayor indicated that these are important factors in her judgement of cases.

Our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O"Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor [Martha] Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life." - Sonia Sotomayor U.C. Berkeley School of Law, 10/26/2001

There is no impartiality in that statement, a necessity for an effective judge. She is stating that there are no standards for Judgement except the sex, origin and environment of the Jurist (no universal definition of wise). This throws out the constitution for the personal "down to earth" experience. Or as Obama puts it:

Experience being tested by obstacles and barriers, by hardship and misfortune; experience insisting, persisting, and ultimately overcoming those barriers . . . Is a necessary ingredient in the kind of justice we need on the Supreme Court

So ones personal experiences should cloud the decisions of a Supreme court Justice? What about the Constitution? What about Law and precedence? I was under the impression that ones personal experiences should be removed from the judgement process and Common Law and Strict Constitutional Standards should take precedence over personal "feelings".

It is my belief that image is more important to this President then actual knowledge of constitutional law. This is a terrible choice for the Supreme Court and the Nation.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Post Date: 28th May, 2009 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

Sonia Sotomayor
A Friend

Sonia Sotomayor Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

I concur. Anyone who throws out the constitution in favor for their own personal beliefs is not helping this country but in fact slowly tearing it apart. I tremble at what this president is doing to this great nation.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Sonia Sotomayor

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,