Playing Poker With LDS Friends? - Page 6 of 9

QUOTE But I disagree with that sentiment. - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Jul, 2011 - 6:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Mormons Gambling Is there such a thing as Mormons Gambling and still within the confines of the spirit? What are your thoughts about Mormons playing Gambling related games even if it is not for money? Controversial Mormon Issue.
1st Mar, 2010 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Playing Poker With LDS Friends? - Page 6

Somehow I'm understanding that paratrooper is trying to justify this as best he can.

Sponsored Links:
18th Jul, 2011 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

Friends LDS Poker Playing

I'm amazed that members of the church can debate such things. There is no debate about any kind of face card game especially one related to gambling. There are numerous quotes about this!

19th Jul, 2011 - 6:18pm / Post ID: #

Playing Poker With LDS Friends? Studies Doctrine Mormon

There is an Ensign article or two from back in the 1970's that are opposed to playing cards so yes such is doctrinal. However, I freely admit to enjoying card playing and I rationalize this because I don't gamble which I think is the spirit of the law.

I'm not into poker but I enjoy hearts and spades. I remember also this big thing against Dungweons and Dragons but my parents got me the "Keep on the Borderlands" basic set when I was 11 or 12 and I played ever since.

I think the cautions against these things are gambling and time wasting; if it becomes your whole life.

Reconcile Edited: bcspace on 19th Jul, 2011 - 6:19pm

19th Jul, 2011 - 6:21pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 Friends LDS Poker Playing

international QUOTE
I think the cautions against these things are gambling and time wasting; if it becomes your whole life.

So are you saying the Church believes it is okay to play as long as you don't get addicted? I'm not sure if I agree with that my brother. Because with that sense, it's okay to drink a little wine or a little coffee. We need to follow the example and counsel of our Church leaders.

19th Jul, 2011 - 6:35pm / Post ID: #

Friends LDS Poker Playing

Since official publication is the definition of doctrine, technically, you are correct because of the Ensign articles. However, my opinion has been just as I stated, that reasons are gambling and time wasting and these are mentioned in the various diatribes against card playing.

What would I counsel the youth under my jurisdiction? I would tell them it's not a problem unless you gamble or it becomes your whole life. Otherwise, I think technically you could also ban such fun and wholesome games like Pit, Mille Bornes, Water Works, etc.

19th Jul, 2011 - 6:42pm / Post ID: #

Playing Poker With LDS Friends?

international QUOTE
What would I counsel the youth under my jurisdiction? I would tell them it's not a problem unless you gamble or it becomes your whole life.

Please, give it more thought. Did you read the quotes on page 1 in this thread? They talk about playing cards for fun (not gambling) and it's frown upon.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jul, 2011 - 6:51pm / Post ID: #

Playing Poker LDS Friends - Page 6

I know it has been said. But I disagree with that sentiment. I think it's pharisaical.

I do not agree with every doctrine of the Church though hopefully my disagreements are minor enough. I will freely admit that something is doctrine according to the Church's standard for doctrine even if I disagree with it and not resort to "It's not doctrine".

My children grew up playing cards and RPG's and so far they are marrying in the temple and serving missions. They still seem to be believing and the adults still seem to be attending Church regularly.

I did not go back and look through the quotes but if there are any that are not published by the Church, you can safely discount them.

19th Jul, 2011 - 6:53pm / Post ID: #

Playing Poker LDS Friends Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

international QUOTE
But I disagree with that sentiment. I think it's pharisaical.

How is Pharisaical?

international QUOTE
I will freely admit that something is doctrine according to the Church's standard for doctrine even if I disagree with it and not resort to "It's not doctrine".

That's very humble of you and it shows you're willing to learn.

international QUOTE
My children grew up playing cards and RPG's and so far they are marrying in the temple and serving missions. They still seem to be believing and the adults still seem to be attending Church regularly.

How wonderful! However, I would like to use the same example I did before. There are people who drink a little coffee or tea or a glass of wine and they end up marrying and serving missions and doing wonderful things however, where does it leave us with regards to obedience to the Lord's anointed leaders?

+  « First of 9 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

> TOPIC: Playing Poker With LDS Friends?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,