Lds Apostle And Wife Attacked In Mozambique

Lds Apostle Wife Attacked Mozambique - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st May, 2009 - 1:09am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Elder Russell M. Nelson and his wife Wendy along with 2 other couples
31st May, 2009 - 12:44am / Post ID: #

A very scary situation, they were all hurt. One of the ladies arm was broken and the rest had cuts and bruises.

SALT LAKE CITY -- Armed assailants attack and rob a Latter-day Saint Apostle, his wife and two other couples in the African nation of Mozambique. Elder Russell M. Nelson and his wife, Wendy, were on a Church assignment when the incident happened.

According to Church spokesman Scott Trotter, the wife of the mission President Blair Packard suffered a broken arm. She and others also have cuts and bruises.
Elder William and Sister Shanna Parmley of the Africa Southeast Area Presidency.

Elder and Sister Nelson traveled to Mozambique for these weekend meetings with Church leaders there; Elder William and Sister Shanna Parmley of the Africa Southeast Area Presidency, and Pres. Blair and Sister Cindy Packard; he is the President of the Mozambique Maputo Mission.

The country is located in the southeastern part of the African continent on the Indian Ocean; Maputo is the Capitol.

The Church Statement says: "On Friday evening they were having dinner together in the mission president's home when armed assailants entered the home and robbed them. We don't have complete information yet, but we understand that Sister Packard's arm was broken. In addition, she and others suffered some superficial injuries, mainly cuts and bruises. Elder and Sister Nelson will continue their assignment over the weekend as planned."

The Church statement also includes information that authorities in that city are investigating the matter....

Sponsored Links:
31st May, 2009 - 12:48am / Post ID: #

Mozambique Attacked Wife Apostle Lds

That is sad. Those homes tend to be in the 'wealthier' areas and one has to be careful. The world is such now that no one is safe - Apostle or not. I'm sure the Antis will have a field day with this.

31st May, 2009 - 12:50am / Post ID: #

Lds Apostle And Wife Attacked In Mozambique Studies Doctrine Mormon

Before their assignments they were warned that African nations are very dangerous (we always hear about kidnapping for ransom, rapes, etc). I hope they did not do anything to the ladies although if it did happen I don't think they will report it. My prayers to them at this difficult time.

31st May, 2009 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

Well, I was going to mention how dangerous African nations are but I did not want to sound prejudice being that they are White. However, a look at the Threads here will show it is not an area to 'dwell' for even short periods.

I'm pretty sure security for the Apostles will now become a norm.

31st May, 2009 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (JB @ 30-May 09, 8:55 PM)
I'm pretty sure security for the Apostles will now become a norm.

Oh definetely, as well as for the Mission President. Having said that, the kind of security they will need will be massive (and proper, not the kind that just helps them get out of an over enthusiastic LDS ward who wants to shake hands) because when these folks attack in these African nations, they usually do it in large groups with machetes at hand ready to kill. I have no doubt they did not resist the robbery yet they were hurt, speaks volumes of the type of criminals we are talking about.

Post Date: 31st May, 2009 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Elder Russell M. Nelson, wife robbed in Mozambique

Elder Russell M. Nelson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and his wife, Wendy, were among church leaders robbed by armed assailants Friday evening in the Mozambique Maputo Mission home. On a church assignment in Mozambique, Elder and Sister Nelson were having dinner with Elder William W. Parmley of the Quorums of the Seventy . . . Ref. Source 4

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
31st May, 2009 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

Lds Apostle Wife Attacked Mozambique

Actually what tends to happen in these situations is the area is closed in some way - closed to the presence of Apostle visits, closed to a Mission Home being based there - closed as a Mission period.

31st May, 2009 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

Lds Apostle Wife Attacked Mozambique Mormon Doctrine Studies

I doubt it. The fact that Elder Nelson and his wife decided to stay (despite the horrible ordeal) gives the sign they won't be doing that if not, look at South Africa (the place with the highest rape per capita) where sisters can STILL serve missions there after the terrible gang rape episode of two sister missionaries some few years ago.

The Church is HUGE in Africa and growing tremendously.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Lds Apostle And Wife Attacked In Mozambique

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,