Day Of Atonement And The Mystery Of Azazel

Day Atonement Mystery Azazel - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 3rd Oct, 2008 - 6:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2008 - 10:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I have found that understanding the "Day of Atonement" is crucial to understanding the event of the atonement. Can anyone explain what happened on the Day of Atonement or who Azazel is?

Sponsored Links:
1st Oct, 2008 - 8:05am / Post ID: #

Azazel Mystery The Atonement Day

May I ask what you are referencing? I don't have the answer but am curious as to what you are referring to and the answers hopefully someone else has.

1st Oct, 2008 - 8:27am / Post ID: #

Day Of Atonement And The Mystery Of Azazel Studies Doctrine Mormon

According to the Jewish Enchyclopedia:

The name of a supernatural being mentioned in connection with the ritual of the Day of Atonement (Lev. xvi.). After Satan, for whom he was in some degree a preparation, Azazel enjoys the distinction of being the most mysterious extrahuman character in sacred literature. Unlike other Hebrew proper names, the name itself is obscure.

-Biblical Data:

In Lev. xvi. the single allusion to Azazel is as follows: On the tenth day of Tishri (see Atonement Day) the high priest, after first performing the prescribed sacrifices for himself and his family, presented the victims for the sins of the people. These were a ram for a burnt offering, and two young goats for a sin-offering. Having brought the goats before Yhwh at the door of the tabernacle, he cast lots for them, the one lot "for Yhwh" and the other "for Azazel." The goat that fell to Yhwh was slain as a sin-offering for the people. But the goat of Azazel (now usually known as the "scapegoat") was made the subject of a more striking ceremony. The high priest laid his hands upon its head and confessed over it the sins of the people. Then the victim was handed over to a man standing ready for the purpose, and, laden as it was with these imputed sins, it was "led forth to an isolated region," and then let go in the wilderness.J. Jr. J. F. McC.

From what I can tell Azazel is Satan, or at least another fallen angel like Satan: Or one who chose to follow Satan after first chosing to come to earth and get a body.
Leader of the Rebellious Angels.

This is confirmed by the Book of Enoch, which brings Azazel into connection with the Biblical story of the fall of the angels, located, obviously in accordance with ancient folk-lore, on Mount Hermon as a sort of an old Semitic Blocksberg, a gathering-place of demons from of old (Enoch xiii.; compare Brandt, "Mandäisch Theologie," 1889, p. 38). Azazel is represented in the Book of Enoch as the leader of the rebellious giants in the time preceding the flood; he taught men the art of warfare, of making swords, knives, shields, and coats of mail, and women the art of deception by ornamenting the body, dyeing the hair, and painting the face and the eyebrows, and also revealed to the people the secrets of witchcraft and corrupted their manners, leading them into wickedness and impurity; until at last he was, at the Lord's command, bound hand and foot by the archangel Raphael and chained to the rough and jagged rocks of [.] Duduael (= Beth Ḥadudo), where he is to abide in utter darkness until the great Day of Judgment, when he will be cast into the fire to be consumed forever (Enoch viii. 1, ix. 6, x. 4-6, liv. 5, lxxxviii. 1; see Geiger, "Jüd. Zeit." 1864, pp. 196-204). The story of Azazel as the seducer of men and women was familiar also to the rabbis, as may be learned from Tanna d. b. R. Yishma'el: "The Azazel goat was to atone for the wicked deeds of 'Uzza and 'Azzael, the leaders of the rebellious hosts in the time of Enoch" (Yoma 67b); and still better from Midrash Abkir, end, Yalḳ., Gen. 44, where Azazel is represented as the seducer of women, teaching them the art of beautifying the body by dye and paint (compare "Chronicles of Jerahmeel," trans. by Gaster, xxv. 13). According to Pirḳe R. El. xlvi. (comp. Tos. Meg. 31a), the goat is offered to Azazel as a bribe that he who is identical with Samael or Satan should not by his accusations prevent the atonement of the sins on that day.

I am not sure why you fell this is crucial to understanding the atonement. Could you elaborate on that?

Post Date: 1st Oct, 2008 - 8:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Great Day of Atonement happened once a year under the law of Moses and was symbolic of the atonement in which Yhwh or Jehovah who became Jesus Christ was slain for the sins of the world.

I once read the original unaltered biblical record which gave a number of key symbolic pieces that are either obscure or left out entirely from our current scriptures. I have sense found the remnants of these missing pieces in various references, but still have not found this mystery explained. However, there is more than enough information available to verify this information. Some have said that atonement is incomprehensible. And I believe without this information it is.

The Ordinance of the Day of Atonement Dot points are:
- Once a year it is performed
- The high priest offers various sacrifices to clean himself symbolically to be worthy of performing this most sacred of all ordinances under the lower law.
- Once cleaned, 2 goats, both without blemish were brought to the high priests.
- The high priest cast lots, (Rolled the dice so to say), to see which goat would play the symbolic part of Yhwh and which would play the role of Azazel.
- The goat "Yhwh" was taken into the Holy of Holies where his blood was spilt on the "mercy seat" of the Ark of the Covenant, while incense was burned as symbols of the prayers.
- Once that was finished, The high priest exited the Holy of Holies.
- The high priest then firmly grabbed the goat "Azazel" by the horns and began pronouncing all the sins of the people and placed those sins, "on the head of Azazel". The sins were actually given to, born by and placed on the head of Azazel.
- Once the high priest had pronounced all the sins on the head of Azazel, the scapegoat, the goat was sent into the wilderness to "destroy itself".
- It was very important that the goat not be killed by anyone, but its self via its own actions.
- A person or group of people were tasked with watching the goat and following the goat until it died, either of starvation, dehydration or other means, but it could not be killed by anyone directly, only by its own actions.
- When the goat died, a torch was ignited to announce the death of Azazel to a distant watcher who lit their torch to signal the next watcher which continued in a procession until the signal was received back in the city/camp.
- Once this signal was received, the people celebrated and rejoiced greatly because the atonement had been completed and the accountability for their sins had been removed from them.
- Because it could take days or weeks for the goat "Azazel" to die, the people began to lead the goat to a cliff and basically coax it off the cliff. They didn't thrown it, or push it, but coaxed it to jump off the cliff by its own volition. (How they coaxed it was not explained. I imagined that they surrounded it and frightened it or something.) This sped up the process and seemed to make everyone happier.

I think I summed up the Day of Atonement accurately. I will jump ahead because of the quotes provided. Thank you - Alskann for looking it up.

It you want detailed info of who Azazel is, a great site is, Link Removed. They have gone to great lengths to explain exactly who Azazel is, I guess it is always good to know your God.

Azazel is also mentioned in the Book of Enoch. Here are the main points:

And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. - 8:1-3

Thou seest what Azazel hath done, who hath taught all unrighteousness on earth and revealed the eternal secrets which were (preserved) in heaven, which 7 men were striving to learn: - 9:6-7

And again the Lord said to Raphael: 'Bind Azazel hand and foot, and cast him into the darkness: and make an opening in the desert, which is in Dudael, and cast him therein. And place upon him rough and jagged rocks, and cover him with darkness, and let him abide there for ever, and cover his face that he may not see light. And on the day of the great judgment he shall be cast into the fire. - 10:4-7

And the whole earth has been corrupted through the works that were taught by Azazel: to him ascribe all sin.' - 10:8-9

Is this starting to make any sense? What thoughts have come to your minds as you have read the above? How does this begin to change your understanding of the atonement?

Although it was obvious who played the role of Yhwh in the final/actual Atonement, but who played the role of Azazel?

2nd Oct, 2008 - 12:36am / Post ID: #

I am not sure where you are taking this. Perhaps I missed something. Here is what I know from Hebrew. (Although my Hebrew/yvret is rusty.) Azezel means literally "goat of departure" "ez" means goat and 'azel" means to go away. It is not a proper name in Hebrew rather a noun.

If Azezel is to be Satan, then were in scripture do we read that Satan becomes a scapegoat for our sin? Or that he will make some sort of Atonement for God's people (Lev. 16:10)?

Post Date: 2nd Oct, 2008 - 6:34am / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (Isiah53)
If Azezel is to be Satan, then were in scripture do we read that Satan becomes a scapegoat for our sin? Or that he will make some sort of Atonement for God's people (Lev. 16:10)?

It is important that you understand that I am NOT saying that Satan made an atonement for us. Christ did as the sacrifice, but Christ did not take the punishment or justice for our sins, and he can't satisfy the demands of justice by taking our punishment. (I will explain this later.) My point is that Satan plays a role in the atonement drama that few have considered.

In the Hebrew, the name Azazel (za zel) is found in Lev. 16:8, 10 & 26, according to "Strongs Strongest Exhaustive Concordance". The KJV of the bible has translated this into the term 'scapegoat" which is more closely related to it's function or role. And as you have likely heard the term "Scapegoat", this is where it originated.

When I read this originally from the bible, I had never heard of it or the name "Azazel" before. One night while studying, my LDS standard works were changed to include a number of extra passages and a number of references to "Azazel" the scapegoat. After learning about this and writing down the information, my standard works became standard again, and I could never find the original text again. Even via word searches. I later did various other searches for this information and found that what I read was accurate. (This is my witness by experience.)

You can look up Azazel or search it in Google and find plenty of people who will confirm what I am saying.

It does seem surprising as we generally do not see Satan's part in the atonement. However, without understanding his role, we cannot understand the atonement. The principle behind Azazel taking the accountability/responsibility for our sins is actually very sound and is found in an unlikely place. Notice from the following verse how this same principle works;

"D&C 68:25
And again, inasmuch as parents have children in Zion, or in any of her stakes which are organized, that teach them not to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christ the Son of the living God, and of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of the hands, when eight years old, the sin be upon the heads of the parents."

So in this case, the parents neglect to teach their children correct principles and the sin is on the heads of the parents and the children become innocent. In the case of Satan or Azazel we are not talking about neglecting to teach truth, but intentionally teaching error. How much more just is it then to ascribe the sin to the father of lies?

Also, notice that justice must be met. It cannot be denied. And Christ could not suffer the penalty for our sins as that would not be justice. This is clearly taught in the Book of Mormon, but not understood"¦

"Now there is not any man that can sacrifice his own blood which will atone for the sins of another. Now, if a man murdereth, behold will our law, which is just, take the life of his brother? I say unto you, Nay.
But the law requireth the life of him who hath murdered; therefore there can be nothing which is short of an infinite atonement which will suffice for the sins of the world. - Alma 34:11-12"

We tend to say, "Well, a man cannot suffer the penalty for another and meet the demands of justice, But a God could." This defies logic and makes the atonement impossible to comprehend. Christ is the "Brother". "Now, if a man murdereth, behold will our law, which is just, take the life of his innocent brother, Christ? I say unto you, Nay."

So the Infinite and Eternal atonement must be something more than degrading Christ to a personal whipping boy.

It says that a law was broken and justice must be satisfied on the head of the guilty, not the innocent. Somehow we think that this magically would satisfy the demands of justice. But, "The law requireth the life of him who hath murdered". And the sin cannot be placed on the head of any innocent being, animal or Man or God.

Taking this into account, we can see that the parents who do not teach their children the gospel are accountable or responsible for their children not accepting it. And justice is satisfied on the heads of the parents, not the children. Justice now being satisfied, the children are free to experience the full measure of mercy.

In the same way, the atonement utilizes the same principle to place justice on the head of Azazel by ascribing to him the full measure of the penalty of the law thus satisfying the demands of Justice making mercy available to us.

So Justice is now satisfied, and mercy becomes available. The atonement is also infinite and eternal.

Infinite means that is covers an infinite range, number or in this case sins of the repentant people no matter how many there may.
Eternal means that it covers all time, both eternally forward as well as eternally backward. Few people consider that we actually sinned in the pre-mortal world and required a redemption there as well. This is mentioned only in Alma 13:3 and is called the "preparatory redemption".

How is the atonement infinite and eternal? If the sins are placed on the head of Azazel or the scapegoat, then what role did the goat "Yhwh" play in facilitating the atonement?

It is late and I am very tired, so I am not sure if I made any errors while not thinking clearly. Advanced apologies if that is the case.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Oct, 2008 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

Day Atonement The Mystery Azazel

From above,

One night while studying, my LDS standard works were changed to include a number of extra passages and a number of references to “Azazel” the scapegoat. After learning about this and writing down the information, my standard works became standard again, and I could never find the original text again.

Now that is convenient. I wish I could have my scriptures give 'extra' answers when I needed it. This looks like one of those mingled with scripture theories you find on apologetic sites.

Post Date: 3rd Oct, 2008 - 6:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Day Atonement The Mystery Azazel Mormon Doctrine Studies

Now that is convenient. I wish I could have my scriptures give 'extra' answers when I needed it.

Actually, it was quite annoying when I went back to find it and couldn't. I didn't know it wasn't really there until I went back to reference it. I was on my mission at the time and couldn't search the scriptures using technology, so I was sure it was there and that I just didn't know how to find it.

Later when I had the ability to really look into it, I found that it wasn't there the way I read it. So I looked to see if Azazel even existed and found that he did and it all fit. Later again, while I was reading the Book of Enoch I found the quotes and story I shared which again fit what I had read.

If you will focus on the principles you will find that they are sound. For example: You cannot discount the concept that the accountability or sin can be placed on the heads of others for our actions. This happens with parents taking the sins of their children who are not taught the gospel, military leaders who send their troops into an unjustified war, and other situations. That is the main principle behind Satan or Azazel being credited for the corruption of mankind. However, this does not remove the need for us to repent. I am speaking from the view point of the Aaronic priesthood now.

There comes a point in which a child's sins can no longer be placed on the head of the parent. And repentance is required to place it on the head of Satan who continues to teach falsely.

This looks like one of those mingled with scripture theories you find on apologetic sites.

I am not aware of anyone who teaches this about the atonement. I am not saying that others do not believe it, only that I have never read it taught or discussed. Pieces yes, but not the entire concept.

Granted we haven't explored all the questions and this has thus far not completed the picture. And I am sure that this will sound like it completely contradicts what is taught in general Christianity no matter what church you belong to.

That being said, of course this is the philosophies of men mingled with scripture. As is anything taught by anyone until you receive the inner witness from the spirit which makes it scripture, or unless the spirit teaches you directly. We BELIEVE ALL THINGS, and are taught the truth of ALL THINGS by the Holy Ghost. In other words, this is my opinion as are the words of anyone else until the Holy Ghost provides it's witness.

JB, you might want to move this topic to the mature forum as it now fits the criteria for that forum, IMO"¦

Reconcile Edited: Amonhi on 3rd Oct, 2008 - 5:45pm

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Day Of Atonement And The Mystery Of Azazel

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,