Old Valiant Manual

Old Valiant Manual - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Jul, 2009 - 10:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 15th Jul, 2009 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Old Valiant Manual

Old Valiant manual

Name: Mary

Comments: I am looking for an story that was in an old Valiant manual. The story was about an older man that came to join the pioneers. As they were around the camp fire they sand Come, Come Ye Saints. At that time no one sang the last verse but this man did. In the morning they found that he had died. Can anyone tell me where this story was or send me a copy? It's for a talk this Sunday. Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
15th Jul, 2009 - 10:48pm / Post ID: #

Manual Valiant Old

Hi Mary, I made a search and I think I found the story you're referring to, let me know if this is the one:

Heber J. Grant shares a testimony given by his father-in-law, Oscar Winters, while Brother Winters was visiting at the Grant home:

Brother Grant, I do not believe that the young people today fully appreciate what a marvelous inspiration it was to the Saints in crossing the plains to sing, almost daily, the hymn, "Come, Come Ye Saints."

Brother Winters then related the following incident:

One night, as we were making camp, we noticed one of our brethren had not arrived, and a volunteer party was immediately organized to return and see if anything had happened to him. Just as we were about to start, we saw the missing brother coming in the distance. When he arrived, he said he had been quite sick; so some of us unyoked his oxen and attended to his part of the camp duties. After supper, he sat down before the campfire on a large rock, and sang in a very faint but plaintive and sweet voice, the hymn, "Come, Come Ye Saints." It was a rule of the camp that whenever anybody started this hymn all in the camp should join, but for some reason this evening nobody joined him; he sang the hymn alone. When he had finished, I doubt if there was a single dry eye in the camp. The next morning we noticed that he was not yoking up his cattle. We went to his wagon and found that he had died during the night. We dug a shallow grave, and after we had covered his body with the earth we rolled the large stone to the head of the grave to mark it, the stone on which he had been sitting the night before when he sang:

"And should we die before our journey's through
    Happy day! All is well!
    We then are free from toil and sorrow too;
    With the just we shall dwell.
    But if our lives are spared again
    To see the Saints their rest obtain,
    O how we"ll make this chorus swell-
    All is well! All is well!"

President Grant concludes by noting that there were tears in his father-in- law's eyes when Brother Winters finished relating the incident.

Source 2

Hope it helps. smile.gif

> TOPIC: Old Valiant Manual

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,