Trinis Living Abroad

Trinis Living Abroad - Trinidad, Tobago / Caribbean - Posted: 15th Nov, 2006 - 7:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Yet still, they have lots to say about what we should be doing here?
13th Nov, 2006 - 5:36pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Living Abroad

Trinis Living Abroad

This Thread is sort of a break off of the major Threads we have covering Violent Crime and How Good Is Trinidad & Tobago to live. What I have noticed, that others may have not is two things:

1. Those who defend the country as to being such a nice place to live are mostly either living abroad or have their 'foot abroad'.

2. The other thing is the ones who live abroad seem to have the most to say about what we, who are living here, should be doing to correct the country!

I appreciate Trinis living abroad to make a better life, but now that you are there, do you think long distance 'help' really works? If the country is so great then why not stay here for the Education, the Medical, the Opportunities... the truth is they go away because these things are not all that great here.

Now I can understand if you go away to enable / obtain certain opportunities like skills, education and monetary means where you can influence change here, but for you to do that in a significant way then you have to return to do it. Being abroad is like having a troop commander radio his men what to do in the heat of battle, but the commander never sees them or the troops him, so in the end the troops are more likely to stick with what they know solves their situation best, because they are there living it!

What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
15th Nov, 2006 - 1:43pm / Post ID: #

Abroad Living Trinis

1. Those who defend the country as to being such a nice place to live are mostly either living abroad or have their 'foot abroad'.

I wonder why....maybe is it because Trinidad is not such a nice place to live after all?

2. The other thing is the ones who live abroad seem to have the most to say about what we, who are living here, should be doing to correct the country!

Now this one is irritating. I think it has a lot to do with a psychological issue. Most of these people have relatives living here, therefore they need to keep in touch with what's going on in the country but at the same time, because they are abroad and there is no much they can do about the situation, they rather live in denial pretending nothing is happening or try to tell you how to correct the country and even dare to criticize the lack of patriotism of fellow folks. Fake patriotism as its best in my opinion because they cannot pretend people who live the life here can do changes when themselves are far away and not helping in the process. You can't pretend to know what's going on when you are miles away, because all you are getting is second-hand information.

Don't take me wrong, is great that they are educating themselves abroad and have a better life but don't come and tell people here what they need to do or don't tell them how great Trinidad is when you are living in another country, if is so great: What are they doing abroad?

Most Trinidadians abroad who went overseas to study, never return. Therefore, what significant changes can they make for the country?

I am all for Trinis who want to study and live overseas! But they just need to keep in mind that people who live here have a first-hand experience on how things are going in the country, they simply don't.

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2006 - 5:22pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Living Abroad
A Friend

Trinis Living Abroad Caribbean / Tobago & Trinidad

In defence of the Trinis who live here and think Trinidad is a great place to live:

I have lived and worked in New York and have friends who live in Florida. Based on that experience and the relayed experiences of my friends, I decided a long time ago that when I have children someday, I'd much rather raise them here in Trinidad, than in the US.

Yes, opportunities abroad are better - but if everyone who can possibly make a difference leaves, Trinidad will never improve. I looked for ways that I could work on areas which need improvement and I did something about it. I don't believe I'm unique in that.

In defence of those who study and stay away their entire careers::

Usually, this happens out of necessity. My sister is studying classical voice - when she is finished there is no career for her in Trinidad, she will have to stay abroad and work. When she does so though, she represents Trinidad to the people she meets and should she become famous, it will reflect on our country. I cannot be ashamed of that!

Her local voice teacher too, June Nathaniel, studied and had a vibrant career in opera and classical performance in Europe, was attached to opera houses in Germany, Switzerland and England. On retirement she returned to Trinidad and began teaching young singers. Her students now (including my sister) win all of the trophies in the local Music Festivals and are being snatched up by foreign colleges and universities, since they are so far advanced in vocal technique beyond their American or British counterparts. I'd have to say, she too is doing a great service to Trinidad!

How can you criticize that?

15th Nov, 2006 - 6:59pm / Post ID: #

Abroad Living Trinis

Trinichic, that is all fine, but those are not the Trinis I am talking about. I agree that if you want to live abroad then go ahead, nothing wrong with that at all. Read my first Post again... I am talking about the long distance commander, the one who is abroad, but giving out instructions of what we here should be doing - understand? Also, the one who says here is so wonderful, so great, but at the same time says they will not live here because they have better things going on abroad. Fine, my point and opinion - do not be hypocritical - if you really want to help then come and actually help the people - if you want to help from a galaxy away then keep dreaming.

Post Date: 15th Nov, 2006 - 7:22pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Living Abroad
A Friend

Abroad Living Trinis

I did read your first post, JB - I just disagree with the amount of negativity it displayed.

I also happen to disagree that just because I'm not physically "there" I should not have an opinion. I'm certain you have opinions on George Bush and the decisions he has made as President of the US - should an American say that you're not there, you can't vote, so you have no right to voice an opinion - what would your response be?

Just in the interest of fairness, here biggrin.gif

15th Nov, 2006 - 7:29pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Living Abroad

QUOTE (Trinichic)
I just disagree with the amount of negativity it displayed.

Not sure I understand that, but ok.

I'm certain you have opinions on George Bush and the decisions he has made as President of the US - should an American say that you're not there, you can't vote, so you have no right to voice an opinion - what would your response be?

Your example proves you do not understand what I am getting at. A commander and a person with an opinion are two entirely different things. If I have opinion, I express it, fine, but using your analogy - I do not tell US Citizens what they should do about it or how they should vote, or who they should vote for, or what should be their next move. I would be idiotic to do that because I am not there living and experiencing what they are living! When it comes to Trinis coming on here (most of which are abroad - probably you and Cookies are the only exceptions for intelligent conversation from people actually living here) is that they pretend to tell us how wrong we are and what we should be doing, what we should be saying and how we should be acting. Most people would say... 'Well, if you can do a better job then come here and...".

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Nov, 2006 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Living Abroad
A Friend

Trinis Living Abroad

Well JB, maybe the way I see it, when they

tell us how wrong we are and what we should be doing, what we should be saying and how we should be acting
they are just voicing their opinions.

Maybe they're just doing it in a far too boisterous way, for your taste?

15th Nov, 2006 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

Trinis Living Abroad Trinidad & Tobago / Caribbean

No, not a boisterous taste, despite having seen these people spam my other sites to do it - my point is that it is hypocritical, really it does not bother me one way or the other, because the country will continue to move in the direction the people here want it to, but for the sake of Discussion the Thread is here and I am interested to see view points on the actual Topic. Some Trini living abroad who has a mindset that they can change the country from there should give input - step up to the plate.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Trinis Living Abroad

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,