Food Stamps - Page 6 of 13

36% of Alabama's population on food - Page 6 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 4th Aug, 2011 - 11:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 13 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (13) »
USA Food Stamps
U.S.A. 34 million Americans receiving food stamps
14th Jul, 2011 - 8:05pm / Post ID: #

Food Stamps - Page 6

I am glad to hear that you get enough on the food stamp cards to eat. I must be a bit nosy here I hope you do not mind. Would a family also receive enough monies from the assistance program to pay an average mortgage and hydro/water and gas bills? Assuming one is wise like yourself and do not have cells and items that are not required for basic needs (food/shelter/water).

I know in Ontario Canada I would have to sell my home if I was facing long term unemployment unless I had a deep savings account.

Sponsored Links:
14th Jul, 2011 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Stamps Food

Krakyn:

international QUOTE
Would a family also receive enough monies from the assistance program to pay an average mortgage and hydro/water and gas bills?

I don't know about the mortgage but they do get assistance to pay bills and even rent a place if they qualify.

14th Jul, 2011 - 11:30pm / Post ID: #

Food Stamps Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

That is a problem because basically there is no governance of the system once you qualify for the aid. There have been many TV Shows that show how easy it is to get falsified documents in order to qualify for these programs and is one of the main reasons some people's social security number continues to live on long after they stopped. As Pianomom said, they asked her if she wanted to sign up basically permanent or short term. Recertification now takes place over the phone unless you want a face to face meeting - I am guessing this is not fail proof at all.

Source 7

They have opened up loopholes now to make it easier to keep getting food stamps even after you get a job. You don't even need to live with a dependent to claim them as part of your benefits. It is hard to imagine how this is legitimate, since they would have to be present to eat the food. They also arent stamps any longer as there were initially and are just a debit card now.

The programs will assist you with electric and water. They will buy your children lunches at school if you qualify (that seems a bit of double dipping if you are on a Food Stamp Program). Assistance on rent is difficult, but they will not help you pay your mortgage. However, there are some programs now once you default on your mortgage and are foreclosed.

16th Jul, 2011 - 3:12am / Post ID: #

Page 6 Stamps Food

Sounds as full of holes as our welfare system. Once in and you learn to use the system some seem to live on it for generations. Too bad they do not help with mortgage but only rent.

My brother-in law had a heart attack and we all pitched in to help them so they did not lose their home. Welfare did help in food and utility along with some basic meds. This was a big help but in cases like this I would like to see people get assistance with the mortgage as well. Their mortgage at the time was half of what rent would have cost.

Seems when hard times come the government want us to fail and fall back to nothing were we began prior our first job.

I agree Vincenzo a body needs to follow up on claims made to ensure the situation has not changed. It would help end the long term abuse of government assistance. I would have thought a renewal would be treated more closely to a fist time application rather then a matter of course, just to make it look official and dutiful.

Post Date: 20th Jul, 2011 - 12:02am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps
A Friend

Stamps Food

I will try to answer the questions/discussions that have been mentioned above based on recent experience with the government programs. I think there are so many loopholes and ways that the program can be abused by people who are not honest in heart. I can only speak from experience, and the help we received may be different from what one typically receives. I don't know, not many people are open to discussing this. I'm an open book, and hope to help others learn and be aware.

Once again, please remember we received these benefits temporarily, not on them permanently. I am willing to share, but if I feel I am being judged, I will close up and no longer want to share. So far, all of you have been so supportive if our circumstances that I feel I can share my experiences. We received a ONE TIME TEMPORARY grant. This help did include a one time cash amount of $1000 on a debit card to be used as we saw fit, but not on alcohol or tobacco products. This was a one time cash only for the entire 3 month period--so $1000 every 3 months. We were able to make a mortgage payment and pay for our electricity, gas, and water. I do not believe this is monitored well, as we could withdraw this money in cash in $200 increments as well. To me, it seems you could purchase anything, including alcohol and tobacco if paid with cash. This temporary, 3 month help also included money on the card to be used only for food. I asked the social worker if I would need to keep receipts and turn them for what we used the cash for, but was told no. I think that there should be receipts turned in to show that what you paid for were truly NECESSITIES.

The food portion of the card seems to be monitored better. You can buy almost any food item, except alcohol or already prepared foods from the deli section--rotisserie chickens, nuggets, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, etc....If you do buy something that is non-food or not on the approved list, it will not be covered when you go to pay at the end with your food card. An error will appear and a receipt of the item not covered will be printed out on the cash register/computer. This happened to us one time as my children were helping me unload the cart, and accidentally put the ammonia on with the food order. It was a separate item I was buying for cleaning purposes, but it did look like the bottles of vinegar that we purchased on the food order.

I do know that re-certification/checks are done every 3 months to determine needs based on income and assets. You would once again need to provide all the documentation that I mentioned before. This can be done in person at the office, over the phone, or online now. I do know that programs beside the food stamps/cash assistance welfare program exist as we were given names of different agencies, mostly state funded, to contact for mortgage assistance. We were also told to contact our utility companies and they would be able to help us with programs to help with our utilities. I know that they are all based on income, and if you have young children or are an elderly or disabled adult. We did not need further help so I do not know how those programs work. I just know that they exist. My husband (dbackers) has seen some of those programs in action, as he has worked closely with the elderly and disabled adults. He is a healthcare administration professional, managing an educational program for developmentally disabled adults. Maybe he can enlighten us. Due to the HIPPAA Privacy Act, I don't know what he is able to discuss. So, yes, being poor in America is way different than being poor in any other country.

Rather off topic, but...
Tomorrow I am starting my first day back into full time employment since we started having children 12 years ago. I've always taught piano at home, but now I am back into full time employment. We are trying to get back on our feet after the unemployment episode in our lives. It takes a while to get back to where you were. I will be working as a medical transcriptionist again, and may even have the opportunity to bring my work home eventually, once I have proven myself. This doctors' office is willing to work around my kids' schedules, has flexible hours, and is very family oriented. We have been very blessed. My mom is going to babysit my two little ones not yet in school. I will be home by the time the other children are home from school. I have some mom-guilt because I really want to still be home with my children, but we really NEED two incomes right now. We don't always get what we want though, do we?! I think we all wish we could be could all be home with our children.

20th Jul, 2011 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps

Pianomom don't feel bad about going back to work, we're living hard times and the US isn't the same as ten years ago, things have changed dramatically for the worst with regards to the economy and I really don't see any changes in the near future.

Thanks for explaining in detail about the welfare system. I'm glad people like you were able to benefit from it instead of those who use and abuse the system for their wants or their laziness.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Jul, 2011 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Food Stamps - Page 6

Pianomom thanks for sharing you experience, it certainly shed much light on how your system works. I think we should adopt the food cards, sound better then cutting a cheque that can be cashed and used for what ever the heart desires at the moment.

Rather off topic, but...
I am sad and happy to hear you are starting a new job. It is hard to not be at home with the children but times being what they are I think you chose wisely. I wish you the best and may your efforts be blessed.

Post Date: 4th Aug, 2011 - 11:51am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Food Stamps Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 6

36% of Alabama's population on food stamps:

45.8 million people (obviously an all time record) living on foodstamps which amount to the whopping $133.80 per person (an increase of $0.54 M/M) and $283.65 (an increase of $1.29) per household. Ref. Source 2

> TOPIC: Food Stamps

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,