Why Do People Become Offended?

Why People Offended - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 23rd Aug, 2006 - 2:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 25th Jun, 2006 - 1:50am / Post ID: #

Is being Offended a matter of choice?

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 26th Jun, 2006 - 8:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Offended People Why

Not an easy question to answer. The easy general answer is no. As a rule, people do not chose to become offended, it simply happens. Being offended is an emotion sparked before your thought process kicks in making it hard to prevent being offended.

However, there are people that chose to be that kind of person. It is a general mind set of either being the victim or needing attention. For that reason, these people chose to be offended by putting themselves into that mindset, or allowing themselves to be in that mindset. Generally those types of people always feel victimized, or need attention.

27th Jun, 2006 - 11:01pm / Post ID: #

Why Do People Become Offended? Health & Special Psychology

I agree with most of what kon has said and don't subject to any of what he put. Although in my opinion people are offended differently by different things. Like for instance you talk about a certian sports team and you don't know which one he likes and you so happen to bash his team he would get offended depending on how much he has devoted he loyalty to that team and how he generally acts.

28th Jun, 2006 - 2:03am / Post ID: #

Offended People Why

While you cannot control what others say or do to you, you can (without any doubts) have control over how you feel and react, making (in my opinion) a matter of choice to be offended.

Post Date: 10th Aug, 2006 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Offended People Why

I think that there are some situations in which you don't chose to be offended though. If I were to make a comment that was highly offensive in nature about your child, or your husband or your faith, would you chose to be offended? Even your initial response to the comment?

10th Aug, 2006 - 9:51pm / Post ID: #

Becoming offended is always a personal choice. In other words, if you said something highly offensive to me about my child, husband, or faith, I would be offended. However, you cannot force my to become offended, that would be my choice. On the other hand, if I desired it, I could choose not to be offended by what you say. An example would be a small child who said something terribly offensive but didn't realize what they were saying. In that case, I would choose not to be offended by what was said.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2006 - 1:45pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Why People Offended

I agree to a point, but taking your example of the child saying something highly offensive and you choose not to be, that might not always be the case. You are still offended you just don't show that you are even though your mind is still pondering the childs actions. So it might not always be a choice but a natural reaction to how society brings you up. Society is what 'trains' or forms us to realize what is offensive and what is not. Just like a child learns from it's parent or guardian what is right and what is wrong, it is taught what is offensive and what is not as well.

23rd Aug, 2006 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

Why People Offended Psychology Special & Health

I always use this analogy:

If you are passing by a house and the dog of the yard begins barking venomously at you - do you stop, listen and start to retaliate by giving him a piece of your mind? If so, you are giving the dog's actions relevance. If you are the type that just ignores the extra noise and continue to focus on where you are going then it means the dog's actions has no relevance for you.

In the same manner, if you 'take on' someone's words, or in other words... give it some level of importance then it can offend you. Treat the 'extra' noise like a street dog and you won't pay it no mind.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Why Do People Become Offended?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,