Sterotyped - Page 2 of 2

American society is built on stereotyping - Page 2 - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 12th Jan, 2011 - 2:04am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Fed up of being sterotyped? Talk about it here.
Sterotyped Related Information to Sterotyped
Post Date: 8th Mar, 2006 - 1:29am / Post ID: #

Sterotyped
A Friend

Sterotyped - Page 2

Stereotyped

I think stereotype definitely carries with it a negative connotation, but I think it's important that we don't forget: Not all stereotypes are bad. I'm not saying it's right to judge somebody before you know them, but some stereotypes are complimentary, even if they are false.

Growing up, I wore glasses. Well, I still do. For some reason, people assume that people who wear glasses are smart. So, as a student, people always assumed I was intelligent because I wore glasses. I know I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I do have some intelligence. I took that stereotype as a compliment because I did work hard in school, and tried my best academically.

In school, people are stereotyped by clothes. If a teenager happens to wear a nice polo shirt and khaki's, they are given the title "prep." If a teenager likes the color black, and comes to school with a black skirt on and a black shirt, they are labeled a "goth."

Everybody is stereotyped. We all have two choices we can make: 1. Let is bother us or 2. Ignore it and let it be. Personally, I deal with it. If people want to go on thinking I'm such a smart person because I wear glasses, then by all means, they may go for it.

Keywords: Stirotyped, Stereotyped

Sponsored Links:
8th Mar, 2006 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Sterotyped

but some stereotypes are complimentary, even if they are false.

Hmmm, I am not sure if I fully understand this statement. If it may be false, then how can be a compliment?

I took that stereotype as a compliment because I did work hard in school, and tried my best academically.

I supposed that as a child it made you feel good and it's understandable, but as a grown up I think it should not work anymore...after all, you know it was because of your glasses and not because you was trying your best at school *shrugs*

If people want to go on thinking I'm such a smart person because I wear glasses, then by all means, they may go for it.

True, but I think this particular stereotype was easy to deal with for you simply because it did not have a negative connotation surround it, but what about if instead of them thinking you look smart with glasses they think you look the opposite? I think your reaction would be quiet different.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 8th Mar, 2006 - 2:05am

Post Date: 8th Mar, 2006 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Sterotyped
A Friend

Sterotyped Health & Special Psychology

I think your reaction would be quiet different.

Erm... That was my whole purpose for my statement? I was taking a different view on the matter. That, and I said this, I do not necessarily agree with stereotypes, they are not all bad stereotypes. If I look at a person and say "Hm..They have a friendly looking face. They just seem like someone who would be really sweet." That is a stereotype. It could be right, it could be wrong. But it is a stereotype nonetheless, but it's not a negative stereotype.

I was trying to make that point. Yes, I stereotype people, and not necessarily consciously with the intent to do so, but it isn't always a bad or negative stereotype. It could be something as simple as saying "They look like they'd be a nice person."

That's what I mean by saying that it could be complimentary while being false. Using my personal story, I take it as a compliment that people think I look smart, even if it was for something as silly as because of my glasses. It may not be true, and I would probably correct them if they actually verbalized it to me, but I would still take as a compliment, a weird one, but a compliment nonetheless.

10th Jun, 2009 - 10:16pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Sterotyped

I wonder about stereotypes. Everyone has them! And we all hate them. Its obviously a human condition! I have been sterotyped over the years and its very unsettling knowing how one is supposed to act.

10th Jun, 2009 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

Sterotyped

Well, what people think or say about you jchampers? I am known as the dragon lady or Judge Judy type, I always say it like it is.

11th Jun, 2009 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Sterotyped

I'm a gardener so people assume I must be butchy and are really surprised I have a fiance of the opposite sex! I am also shy to begin with, and a lot of people mistaken that to mean snobby, which is hilarious if you actually knew me! Ha! Also through Uni I was known as a s*ut (due only to being (only) friends with a lot of blokes...) or gay (not that there is anything wrong with that, only that I'm not)which obviously made for some confusing times.... smile.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Jul, 2009 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

Sterotyped - Page 2

Remember stereotypes are used by everyone. It is a human thing to do. We cannot process every person that we see and meet. This would take to long to do, so our minds use references or stereotypes to help us reference people quickly. It is a frame work where we can begin to interact with people. We also have to remember that as we interact with others we are continuously creating new stereotypes and assumptions about people based off of our perceptions and past experiences.
The key I believe is to be aware that we do such referencing with people. If we are aware of this we then are open to change that reference once we begin to interact with them. We will never get rid of stereotypes, but we can lean to manage them.

12th Jan, 2011 - 2:04am / Post ID: #

Sterotyped Psychology Special & Health - Page 2

American society is built on stereotyping people even if they don't do it intentionally that's just how it is. From back in days of cowboys and Indians there was already a who is better than who mentality. With the slaves, female rights and now there ever so savvy who is more cool and who is more popular. If you're not accepted into a group you end up being labeled a loser. Who do they think they are anyways... The authority on the worth of people?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Sterotyped

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,