Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed - Deported - Page 2 of 3

QUOTE (RominaL)Jb: what embarrassment are - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Sep, 2009 - 6:03pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Guyana Missionaries Jialed Imprisoned At least 30 of them.
3rd Sep, 2009 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed - Deported - Page 2

The work of the Lord cannot be stopped brothers and sisters. Satan may have a little control here and there and in Guyana but the truth will prevail and missionaries will be allowed to stay.

Jb: what embarrassment are you talking about?

Sponsored Links:
4th Sep, 2009 - 3:00am / Post ID: #

Deported Jailed Missionaries Lds Guyana

It seems like some authorities in Guyana grew "uncomfortable" with the missionaries around to what they perceived to be a very close relationship between the church and opposition figures.

GEORGETOWN, Guyana - Authorities in Guyana grew "uncomfortable" with the presence of Mormon missionaries who have been ordered to leave the South American country, a governing party leader said Thursday.

About 40 missionaries were briefly detained Wednesday and told to leave within a month as authorities said their travel documents were out of date.

Comments by Donald Ramotar of the governing People's Progressive Party, however, suggested the crackdown went beyond immigration issues.

"While we tolerate all religions, it appears that some officials had become uncomfortable with them around," said Ramotar, the party's general secretary.

Ramotar declined to elaborate. But some government officials and party members said privately that leaders felt the Mormons were too close to opposition figures and also were wary of the church's independent charity work in the interior.

The sources agreed to discuss the matter only if they were not quoted by name because they feared angering their bosses and losing their jobs....

Source 2

Authorities are also wary of the charity activities the Church is doing deep in the interior of Guyana where government has little presence and that the former Mission President opened up for proselytism before leaving.

4th Sep, 2009 - 3:24am / Post ID: #

Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed - Deported Studies Doctrine Mormon

The church in Guyana really messed up you know what am I saying? Why do they keep saying they havent done anything wrong? I read in the deseret news today:

At issue is the interpretation of the missionaries' legal status to be in Guyana. The Guyanese government says the LDS missionaries are in the country without approved visa extensions. Church officials maintain they were merely waiting for pending applications for work permits and extensions of stay.

Source 3

Are we all crazy or what? So if someone comes from another country and lets say apply for an H1b Visa to work here in the US can they come over and start working? Heck no! You need your visa in hand first you know what am I saying? Waiting for application does not mean VISA. You cant get a whole bunch of missionaries out there doing their work without proper papers ...Waiting for an application to let them stay doesnt allow them to work! Geez, is it that hard to understand?

And what the heck with all those bunch of missionaries that were supposed to report to immigration and they were flown out of the country by the church? Thats surely sneaky you know what am I saying? They knew they were out of status and thats why they let them out.

What a complete mess I hope this is a wake up call for this area you know what am I saying? And that the other surrounding countries in this mission get their act together.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 4th Sep, 2009 - 3:24am

Post Date: 4th Sep, 2009 - 10:21am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Deported Jailed Missionaries Lds Guyana

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 3-Sep 09, 10:21 AM)
Is there something missing here or something we do not know about?

Name: Prodical

Comments: Hi,

I have lived in Guyana for 6 months. I also saw the inside of the jails... Some one said big deal, they spent a few hours in jail.

I saw a guy in jail there that stole my bike. in the first 5 minutes he was getting punched in the face by a large guy that ran the police station. if your family and friends don't take you food there, you likely die.

if you want the police officer to get your stolen bike, and you know who took it, you have to pay the officer to get it for you.

During the 6 months I was there, I offended my landlord by wanting reimbursement for the damage done to some of my clothing by her workers. We had words and she was a secretary for some one in the government. Well I was warned to make up with her or get deported.

It's highly unlikely that there was anything wrong with their papers at all. some one in power gets offended that some people called inside at their home, or knocked on the door, and they have them rounded up and sent home. the only reason they didn't was because the government wouldn't pay for their airfare. they would lock them up instead, but that would brink more attention to the church. The people that initiated this, just wanted them gone.

Another fact.... Many of the missionaries with the LDS church there are from Trinidad and other countries including Guyana... Its purely some one that has it in for the LDS brand.

They might not like Americans as well...

In years past the government there had some pretty radical laws and customs about railroads- tearing them up, not wearing suits, and I heard white dogs were founded upon. anything American was banned basically and they took them selves back 100 years. they have been crawling out of it since.... But with the corruption that they have... Its a long climb.

Source 1: Former Missionary
Source 2: Former Member

4th Sep, 2009 - 12:04pm / Post ID: #

Deported Jailed Missionaries Lds Guyana

QUOTE (JoePublic @ 4-Sep 09, 10:21 AM)
I also saw the inside of the jails... Some one said big deal, they spent a few hours in jail.

Hey Prodical the missionaries never entered a cell. They were all in a big room with police officers and desks on the other side of the room you know what am I saying? Saying that went to jail is an exaggeration.

It's highly unlikely that there was anything wrong with their papers at all. 

The church did say that they were waiting for their visa renewals (they were out of status) so thats why they were detained and thats why they sent a whole bunch out of the country when they saw their papers were not in order you know what am I saying?

Another fact.... Many of the missionaries with the LDS church there are from Trinidad and other countries including Guyana... Its purely some one that has it in for the LDS brand.

They might not like Americans as well...

You know what? It is very possible that this is the reason thats why its so important for the church over there to get their act together and make sure the missionaries have all the permissions they need as to not give excuses to these people you know what am I saying? Its a wake up call for the whole mission and for other missions in similar situations. The church was in the wrong with the papers issue but taking into consideration their stand on illegal immigrants (bishops, stake presidents and eve missionaries) I aint surprised they dont see they're in the wrong here.

4th Sep, 2009 - 3:27pm / Post ID: #

Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed - Deported

My brothers in Christ is good to read our missionaries were not put in prison the Lord always protect those who serve Him. Wishing them all the best after this bad experience.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Sep, 2009 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed Deported - Page 2

I was looking for updates on this case since I read Angola also had some similar issues with visas recently well I aint finding anything but I came across after making a lil search in google to the former mission site that the mission president and wife used to have it seems. Anyhow I saw they added an update today and they said they had similar situations in the past when they were there. Now what it caught my attention was that they said they always kept things "technically" correct according to legal counsel even though many of the visas were in process for long periods of time. And then they said is a firm position of the church to support the laws of any land they are privileged to enter.

I aint getting this you know what am I saying? What it means "technically" correct? You're either legal or illegal....you either have the permission to work or you dont. If the missionaries didnt have the visas updated then they were out of status full stop you know what am I saying? What technicalities are we talking about here? If the visas usually take very long then those missionaries should not work because they're out of status you know what am I saying? Its simple math.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 4th Sep, 2009 - 3:37pm

4th Sep, 2009 - 6:03pm / Post ID: #

Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed Deported Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

QUOTE (RominaL)
Jb: what embarrassment are you talking about?

The embarrassment of having the name of the Church associated with anything illegal. The embarrassment the missionaries have to go through because someone did not do their job.

QUOTE (SuzieSu)
I aint getting this you know what am I saying? What it means "technically" correct?

If they wait for each missionary to get a permit they possibly will have no regular missionaries there. They will need to take a new stance and treat Guyana not as a 'part' of a mission but as a country so once a missionary gets a permit they stay there a long time.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Guyana Lds Missionaries Jailed - Deported

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,