Our relationship with God

Relationship God - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Sep, 2009 - 1:40am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

18th Aug, 2003 - 10:16am / Post ID: #

Our relationship with God

A Minister, from a non-LDS church) on radio said something to the effect of: People do not pray to God as they used to. They want to get closer to people who are close to God instead.

Do you think that statement is true? Do most people not make attempts to get closer to God, but instead try to get closer to persons that they 'think' are closer to God?

Sponsored Links:
23rd Aug, 2003 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

God relationship

Just a couple of thoughts here, that are my opinion only:

I think part of being a member of the church (any church) is to associate with other members of the church, who hopefully feel the same as you (or I) do -- that the association helps us to maintain our standards and be edified by each other, which helps us to become (or remain) closer to God.

However, my personal relationship with God is *mine* alone to establish and maintain.  Getting closer to other people who seem to be close to God can't really help me with that -- and, for some of those people, their closeness to God may be just an illusion (unfortunate, but believe me, I've come into contact with some of those.)

But as for "most" people?  I couldn't begin to quantify what "most" people do, think, or feel in regard to God.

Roz

6th Sep, 2009 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Our relationship with God Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (JB @ 18-Aug 03, 10:16 AM)
Do you think that statement is true? Do most people not make attempts to get closer to God, but instead try to get closer to persons that they 'think' are closer to God?

Yeah I believe to be very true. Members sometimes ask for blessings from a particular church leader instead of their home teachers like if the leader has a different priesthood than the regular Joe you know what am I saying?

> TOPIC: Our relationship with God

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,