Looking For Friends

Looking Friends - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 12th Sep, 2009 - 8:11pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

11th Sep, 2009 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

Looking For Friends

Looking For Friends

By the number of messages you see online with someone saying they are "Looking For Friends", you have to wonder what has happened to real interpersonal interaction? Mostly teenagers or early adults are the ones asking for friends in such a direct way. I say direct because usually you enter a community and friendships are built gradually and naturally as people get to 'know you' online, but the "Looking For Friends" user seems to have no qualms about declaring the reason for his / her participation.

A key reason for this may be due to the fact that the computer allows you to 'appear' friendly to someone who may not want to be friends with you. In a typical community you can place a avatar that makes you look handsome, strong or heroic. You can then build yourself up to 'be' something of a societal ideal when in person most may see you as the known loser. The Looking for Friends user will often seek after people who are ready to instantly appease their needs. If things become too complicated or questionable then they move on. A basic example of this is debate. Looking for Friends is not interested in sensible topics, most times topics about self are more entertaining, so long as they are not critical. If you do decide to take on a user who is Looking for Friends, then you need to be agreeable and complimentary, answer their post in an instant and be sure to say how much you like them on the way out.

So, know anyone 'Looking for Friends' online?

Sponsored Links:
12th Sep, 2009 - 1:36am / Post ID: #

Friends Looking

I agree that the younger a person is, the focus really is to network. As you grow older it becomes difficult to nuture 'real' friendships, mainly because of the different goals people set out to achieve.

12th Sep, 2009 - 7:54pm / Post ID: #

Looking For Friends Gaming Video & Issues Computer

I understand that, but my main point is the approach. There is nothing wrong with looking to have or be a friend, but is that going to be accomplished by making such a direct statement? Interestingly enough from the point of statistics someone joining this Community who puts as their main push "Looking for Friends" will usually not reach further than their Introduction or five Posts total max. Most people who are "Looking for Friends" are not interested in the learning curve that comes from a Community like this - they need a 'chit chat' interface where they can say, "How was the weather?"

12th Sep, 2009 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Friends Looking

Thats why we need forums like these, so that when we read posts by the more mature subscribers, we can eventually indulge in constructive conversations, and hopefully outgrow the 'facebook' mentality. Since I had subscribed to this forum, I have been the first in any circle to know about major events taking place, whether it was Miss Universe 2009, those heinous crimes, the budget and other social events to name a few. You just have to trust that you are doing a great job as a moderator and over time the younger minds will mature and meet your expectations.

12th Sep, 2009 - 8:11pm / Post ID: #

Friends Looking

QUOTE (Lynette)
You just have to trust that you are doing a great job as a moderator and over time the younger minds will mature and meet your expectations.

Actually some of the younger minds are brilliant and the older folks very demanding and inflexible. So they may not come saying they are "Looking for Friends" but at the same time they 'expect' you to accept their demands for what they want from the Community. It is tough finding a balance.

Rather off topic, but...
I'm happy you appreciate the Community. Do feel free to give us some feedback in the Feedback Board: Source 1

> TOPIC: Looking For Friends

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,