Are You An Internet Mormon?

Are Internet Mormon - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Sep, 2009 - 3:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Discuss  Are An Internet Mormon
20th Sep, 2009 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

I saw an article recently and thought about posting it here with a question. Do you think there is such a thing as an Internet Mormon and a Chapel Mormon? If so, check the list below and tell us in which category do you fit in:

international QUOTE
    * Chapel Mormons will typically try and bend science to fit the prophets.  Internet Mormons typically try to bend the prophets to fit science.

* When the apologists contradict the prophets, Chapel Mormons almost always go with the prophets, while Internet Mormons almost always go with the apologists.

* Chapel Mormons believe that the words "Lamanite" And "Native American" Are interchangeable.  Internet Mormons believe that the words "Lamanite" And "Native American" Refer to two entirely separate cultural and linguistic groups.

* Chapel Mormons usually believe that Noah's flood was a global event, covering the entire world.  Internet Mormons believe that Noah's flood was a localized event, covering only a certain area.

* Chapel Mormons believe the Lehite colony landed in a New World devoid of inhabitants save, perhaps, for at least one remaining Jaredite.  Internet Mormons believe the Lehite colony landed in a New World filled with Asiatic inhabitants.

* When discussing the words of the prophets, Chapel Mormons almost never say "It was only his opinion," Believing that a prophet's words and God's words are essentially one and the same.  Internet Mormons, on the other hand, very often say "It was only his opinion."

* Chapel Mormons believe that Joseph Smith was correct and that the Hill Cumorah was located in Western New York and was the same hill from which he retrieved the Golden Plates.  Internet Mormons believe that FARMS is correct and that the Hill Cumorah was located somewhere in Southern Mexico.

* Chapel Mormons believe that real and binding doctrine is that which is accepted and believed by the majority of the Saints (In practice, this means that they accept the overwhelming majority of what they learn in church and in the church's official publications in addition to the four Standard Works).  Internet Mormons believe that the only real and binding doctrine in Mormonism is that found between the covers of the four Standard Works--all else is mere conjecture.

* Chapel Mormons tend to take a prophet's words at face value.  Internet Mormons often "Filter" A prophet's words through both his local cultural influences and his limited sphere of knowledge.

* Chapel Mormons believe that the living prophets supersede the scriptures.  Internet Mormons believe that the scriptures supersede the living prophets.
    * Chapel Mormons tend to believe that a prophet's words apply to everyone he's addressing.  Internet Mormons believe that a prophet's words may not apply to at least some of the people he's addressing.

* Chapel Mormons believe that a prophet is a foreordained man of the highest moral caliber.  Internet Mormons believe that a prophet is not necessarily any better than his societal average.

Are You An Internet Mormon? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
22nd Sep, 2009 - 1:47am / Post ID: #

Mormon Internet You Are

I'm a Mormon (and yeah, I aint ashamed of the term) and thats about it. I think this distinction is used with the purpose of dividing. Some folks may not consider me the typical member however I know many members with similar views.

22nd Sep, 2009 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

Are You An Internet Mormon? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Based on the list, I would probably be considered an Internet Mormon. I consider myself closer to being an independent fundamentalist, although I still have a lot of questions that need answers.

22nd Sep, 2009 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

Mormon Internet You Are

international QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 22-Sep 09, 2:39 AM)
I consider myself closer to being an independent fundamentalist

What exactly is an independent fundamentalist? (never heard of the term) but since you mentioned fundamentalist are you talking about your views being closed to polygamy?

22nd Sep, 2009 - 1:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Internet You Are

A fully independent fundamentalist is someone who embraces the fundamentalist point of view, but does not associate with any of the fundamentalist organizations such as the FLDS or AUB groups.

My views on plural marriage are one point, but my view on the "infallibility" of the Prophet and the Adam-God doctrines are probably the two main things that "define" my religion. Plural marriage is only a small part of fundamentalism, although it is the most visible and controversial part.

I did notice that many of the points in the list at the beginning of this thread are close to many of the fundamentalist views.

22nd Sep, 2009 - 2:37pm / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 22-Sep 09, 1:13 PM)
A fully independent fundamentalist is someone who embraces the fundamentalist point of view, but does not associate with any of the fundamentalist organizations such as the FLDS or AUB groups.

My views on plural marriage are one point, but my view on the "infallibility" of the Prophet and the Adam-God doctrines are probably the two main things that "define" my religion. Plural marriage is only a small part of fundamentalism, although it is the most visible and controversial part.

So I'm guessing you dont have a temple recommend? Since they ask the question:

international QUOTE
Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

I aint asking to judge you eh (I have my own views as well) just wondering how you cope with your "internet mormonism/independent fundamentalist" views in mainstream church.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
22nd Sep, 2009 - 3:09pm / Post ID: #

Are You Internet Mormon

I don't answer that question in a public forum.

I am an active member of the Church, currently serving in the nursery. If we were very strict with our interpretation of that statement in the interview, very few people would have recommends as both major political parties in the US espouse many ideals that are contrary to and/or opposed to, teachings and tenets of the Church.

22nd Sep, 2009 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

Are You Internet Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies

I see what you're saying.

For me these type of distinctions (internet mormons, etc) is created with the purpose of causing trouble you know what am I saying? so we end up comparing our "spirituality" based on what? Views of men!

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are You An Internet Mormon?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,