Would you be able to fight off a bear? - Page 2 of 2

I think any bear short of the kodiak or the - Page 2 - Sciences, Education, Art, Writing, UFO - Posted: 30th Jun, 2008 - 3:10pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Post Date: 18th Oct, 2004 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Would you be able to fight off a bear?
A Friend

Would you be able to fight off a bear? - Page 2

The best thing to do, if you are unarmed, during a bear attack is to play dead. If you choose to flee, not only does the instinct that you are prey kick in, but the chase ends quickly. A true runner MAY run 15 miles an hour for short periods of time. A bear will run over 30 miles per hour. Also, a bear need not bite you. Bears have massive claws and they strike with enough force that just one hit may cripple a human.

On a positive note, if you are hiking in the mountains and just started uphill away from your vehicle when you see a bear. . . You CAN get away with running. Bears have problems running down hill. I'm not sure of the reason, but the fact remains.

Sponsored Links:
1st Nov, 2004 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

bear off fight to be Would

It's one thing to talk about it, and another to do it. It seems brave to fight a bear and to imagine yourself doing so, but in that situation, I know I wouldn't. I'd probably stay still - not because it's the wise thing to do, but because I'd be paralyzed. laugh.gif

Post Date: 4th Nov, 2004 - 7:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Would you be able to fight off a bear? UFO & Writing Art Education Sciences

I lived in Alaska and as posts mentioned before, running is a very bad idea, since bears certainly run faster than a person(and about as fast as a horse sometimes), and climbing a tree isnt a very good choice either.
Black bears might be scared if you hold something about your head and yell, and sometimes they can be quite small.
Brown bears are larger and certainly you should be careful and play death, covering your head.
Polar bears are... simply huge. Monsters.
Is important to notice that bear attacks are rare nonetheless and they avoid humans most of the time.

Post Date: 14th May, 2006 - 6:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 bear off fight to be Would

I have heard that if you come across a bear you should yell and stand up as tall as possible to discourage the bear from attacking. Give it plenty of room as it will want to leave the disturbing situation like most animals. If it feels cornered it is more likely to attack rather than run. I would try that first then the fetal position, but I know running is the worst thing you can do. But then, who really knows how you are going to react when the situation is at hand? I might just faint!

14th Jun, 2006 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

bear off fight to be Would

If I had to face off with a bear, I would hope it was a 150 lbs black bear or sun bear and not a 500 to 600 lb grizzly or a 900 lb polar bear. If I had to wrestle with a black or sun bear I would try to out smart as for the grizzly or polar I'd be screwed.

30th Jun, 2008 - 2:43pm / Post ID: #

This Alaskan girl was really lucky to made it alive! I really hope she recovers soon.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -  A 14-year-old girl riding in a mountain bike race was attacked in the dark of night by a bear Sunday and severely injured, but she was able to make a brief 911 call that eventually resulted in her rescue.

The girl suffered head, neck, torso and leg wounds. She underwent surgery and was in critical condition Sunday afternoon at Providence Alaska Medical Center, police said.

"The local bear expert said it's probably a sow grizzly," said Cleo Hill, a spokeswoman for the Anchorage Fire Department. "One has been sighted in the area recently."

The attack occurred along a trail in a 24-hour race put on by the Arctic Bicycle Club in Bicentennial Park. Rescuers had to hike in more than two miles to reach the girl.

The park, on Anchorage's east side, borders on Chugach State Park. Wild animals - from grizzly and black bears to moose, wolves and wolverines - frequent the area. The girl was attacked as she reached a trail.

About 60 riders were entered in the race - a circular route that followed groomed trails used by hikers, bikers and skiers. The race began at noon Saturday and was to conclude at noon Sunday but was canceled after the attack...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2008 - 3:10pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Would be to fight off bear - Page 2

I think any bear short of the kodiak or the Polar I could fight off if I had too. I would rather not fight with a bear because they have claws I do not. I would first of all stand tall and yell at the bear. If that does not stop it from attacking then I take my chances. With me boing a tall 6' and strong I could probally discourge most bears but why take the chance. I usually pay very good attention of where I am and what may be around me when I am in the wild. If I am in known bear country I pay close attention too. I would rather avoid this type of situation if I can. I really do not want to try to fight a bear.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Would you be able to fight off a bear?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,