Hunting as a Sport? - Page 3 of 4

Trump says reversal of big game trophy import - Page 3 - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 18th Nov, 2017 - 12:23pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Discuss  Hunting as Sport Big game trophy hunting
5th May, 2005 - 10:18am / Post ID: #

Hunting as a Sport? - Page 3

I agree that it hunting shouldn't be done for sport alone. However, if you hunt for food, it can still be considered a sport. Some people hunt for enjoyment, as my father did with his friends, but eat what they kill. So, I think deer hunting can be a sport, but I see nothing wrong with it as long as you feed your family with any killed deer.

Rather off topic, but...
I know where Romania is, that was my point. We can't judge the entire world based upon our own nations. So, when you said there was "I can't imagine, in our modern world, an excuse for hunting. Any excuse." I wanted to point out the situation where you live doesn't necessarily translate to everywhere else in the world.

Sponsored Links:
10th May, 2005 - 8:00pm / Post ID: #

Sport as Hunting

Funbikerchick: I'm sorry, I may have misunderstood you regarding Romania. Still I maintain my opinion that hunting isn't a sport ... It shouldn't be practiced as a sport.
I have a question for those who are still doing it: what esthetic pleasure gives you the sight of a dead rabbit, with blood dripping from his nose, or the sight of a dear ripped by bullets? I mean, I don't know, I never hunted, maybe I don't understand or I miss something. As a human being I can't get it. Maybe you can explain what kind of satisfaction do you get when you kill a defenceless animal.

Rather off topic, but...
A similar question was asked a candidate to the presidency of Romania a few days before the election (He used to go hunting a lot). Of course this question wasn't decisive, but the guy lost with 3-4%.

10th May, 2005 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

Hunting as a Sport? Sports & Fashion Music Movies

QUOTE (RaulDrake)
As a human being I can't get it. Maybe you can explain what kind of satisfaction do you get when you kill a defenceless animal.

I have never been hunting, but maybe they simply view these animals as food. What is the difference between killing the animal yourself and eating it, and having the farmer do the killing and you then eat it?

As far as hunting for sport. To me, it depends. If the entire purpose is to kill for the fun of it, I am against this. However, if the hunting is to then use the meat to eat, I see nothing wrong with it. The animals killed on farms are just as defenseless as those killed in the wild. More so, actually.

10th May, 2005 - 9:23pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Sport as Hunting

I have only been hunting once in my life, and I didn't get a deer.

It seems obvious to me that if you have to ask what the sport is in hunting, that you haven't thought much about it. It is the chase, the tracking, the strategy of figuring out the best place to place yourself in order to catch the prey. With some types of hunt, it is in the thrill of placing yourself in danger, pitting yourself against an animal that could easily kill you.

Of course there are other ways to do many of these things, including wild animal photography. But there are a lot of people who also want the wild venison, along with the trophy buck.

Now, I will wholeheartedly side with those against simple trophy hunting. I don't support those who hunt mountain goats or bear simply to get the fur or to put up a stuffed animal in their home or lodge. I am even more against people who hunt lions or tigers just for the skins.

However, those are the people I want to be available when an old lion is killing the livestock, or even the children in a village somewhere.

One other thought. There are places where the populations of animals are getting so big that there needs to be some culling. This is frequently true for deer and elk herds. It is also becoming true of some types of predators such as mountain lions in California, and feral house cats throughout the US. Varmint hunting is frequently necessary. So, for those people who want to take on the chores of reducing the varmints, and take some sporting pleasure in doing so, I am very happy for them.

11th May, 2005 - 8:07pm / Post ID: #

Sport as Hunting

international QUOTE
It seems obvious to me that if you have to ask what the sport is in hunting, that you haven't thought much about it. It is the chase, the tracking, the strategy of figuring out the best place to place yourself in order to catch the prey.

I agree, it's interesting to do all these things, but why kill the animal in the end? For the fun of it? To prove that you are smarter or a sharper predator?
international QUOTE
I don't support those who hunt mountain goats or bear simply to get the fur or to put up a stuffed animal in their home or lodge. I am even more against people who hunt lions or tigers just for the skins.

I'm glad we agree on this one.
international QUOTE
However, those are the people I want to be available when an old lion is killing the livestock, or even the children in a village somewhere.

This is not hunting as a sport, is more a necessity and I agree it has to be done.
international QUOTE
There are places where the populations of animals are getting so big that there needs to be some culling. This is frequently true for deer and elk herds. It is also becoming true of some types of predators such as mountain lions in California, and feral house cats throughout the US. Varmint hunting is frequently necessary. So, for those people who want to take on the chores of reducing the varmints, and take some sporting pleasure in doing so, I am very happy for them.

O.K. It is necessary to maintain some kind of balance and there has to be someone who does these kind of "Killings". Maybe some of these guys, who are enjoying it, are quite nice fellows. I couldn't enjoy it.
Rather off topic, but...
by the way, how did we end up here so we need to restore the balance nature created? Who created the "Unbalance"?

12th May, 2005 - 9:41am / Post ID: #

Hunting as a Sport?

I think hunting with the use of firearms for sport is barbaric. How on earth is that even a sport?

Why should animals be treated as less equal to human beings, after all we are also animals. Hunting for food is one thing, but simply killing an animal to show off to your mates is pathetic.

I think if humans want to hunt animals with their bare hands, then that is a different thing all together. But to use a weapon to kill an innocent animal is cowardly.

I'd love to see those who revel in murdering animals hunt with their bare hands, that would be far more challenging and at least give the animal a sporting chance.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 27th Nov, 2007 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

Hunting as Sport - Page 3

Name: Hannah82

Comments: Hunting as a sport? NEVER TALK TO ME AGAIN! Hunting as a sport should so be illegal. I feel bad for the animals who die and are now extinct or endangered because of hunting.

Post Date: 18th Nov, 2017 - 12:23pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Hunting as Sport Movies Music Fashion & Sports - Page 3

Trump says reversal of big game trophy import ban now on hold pending review of 'all conservation facts'. President Trump said in a tweet Friday that he is putting his controversial decision to lift a ban on the importation of big game trophies on hold until he reviews "All conservation facts." On Wednesday, the administration announced that it was lifting an Obama-era ban on trophies from elephants killed in Zambia and Zimbabwe. Ref. USAToday.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Hunting as a Sport?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,