Fighting For Religion In Schools

Fighting Religion Schools - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 28th Dec, 2004 - 5:34pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Top  Fighting For Religion In Schools
Post Date: 25th Dec, 2004 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

CHURCH GROUPS FIGHT BACK BY FILING THEIR OWN SUITS

Jonathan Morgan handed out candy canes with the story of Jesus to his fourth-grade classmates in Plano, Texas, last Friday. But it took a court order.
Ref. Source

Fighting For Religion In Schools (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
25th Dec, 2004 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Schools Religion Fighting

I think it is about time that Christians fought back. It is quite normal, I think, that we tend to always go to far to one side or the other when an issue arises. Then it takes the other side to push back so that the pendulum can swing back to the middle where it belongs.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 27th Dec, 2004 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Fighting For Religion In Schools History & Civil Business Politics

As long as these same church groups don't mind hearing the history of Islam or even Buddhist ideas, then I don't see a problem with this. Unfortunately, I have a feeling they'd throw a fit (as some have at the teaching of evolution--maybe a different issue entirely). I'll never understand the proliferation of intolerance as a result of anyone's religious beliefs, no matter what they are. Ah, well....

27th Dec, 2004 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

As long as these same church groups don't mind hearing the history of Islam or even Buddhist ideas, then I don't see a problem with this.

Actually, they are objecting to exactly that. What I am saying is since it isn't allowed to teach anything Christian then they shouldn't have to read about other religions. If you aren't going to make everyone read the Bible, then you shouldn't be allowed to make everyone read the Quran.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 27th Dec, 2004 - 10:21pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 28th Dec, 2004 - 2:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 27-Dec 04, 5:21 PM)

Actually, they are objecting to exactly that. What I am saying is since it isn't allowed to teach anything Christian then they shouldn't have to read about other religions. If you aren't going to make everyone read the Bible, then you shouldn't be allowed to make everyone read the Quran.

Well, I suppose that that's where the problem arises: They want their doctrime taught in an academic atmosphere, but want to eliminate all other interpretation and ideas. I don't mind maintaining some sort of balance, but conflict arises with trying to censor other thoughts outright.

28th Dec, 2004 - 11:54am / Post ID: #

Well, I suppose that that's where the problem arises: They want their doctrime taught in an academic atmosphere, but want to eliminate all other interpretation and ideas.

That really isn't at all what this law suit is about. It is about not being forced to study another's religion. I think what they are saying is "if you aren't going to allow our religion to be taught, then you can't teach someone elses." It seems to me you can't have it both ways. Since they have not been successful in getting christian religious doctrine even briefly mentioned in school, then they should fight to get other religious beliefs removed as well.

I think this might cause the issue to move back to the center where it belongs rather than at such an extreme that you can't even wish school children a Merry Christmas before they leave for "winter break" which used to be called Christmas break.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
28th Dec, 2004 - 4:37pm / Post ID: #

Fighting Religion Schools

Tenaheff, I agree with you completely. I think the fact that simply having the word "required" from the reading list shows what the lawsuit was about. These people objected to the fact that they were required to read a book explaining the Quran, while muslim, hindu, and other religions (including atheists and agnostics) aren't even encouraged to learn about the Bible or any other religious work.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

28th Dec, 2004 - 5:34pm / Post ID: #

Fighting Religion Schools Politics Business Civil & History

The way I see it, is that the majority of students attending public schools are members of the Christian faith and therefore should be familiar with it. So why should they teach about Christianity just because a small minority is not as familiar with it as the rest?

The reason I would still encourage schools to teach students about other religions like Islam, is that humans have a tendency to fear something they don't understand. By teaching about other faiths, the school system ensures that students posse enough information to comprehend other religions and respect the practices of their members and thereby lay the groundwork for a peaceful coexistence. Because if the schools won't teach the children about those religions, who will? I doubt the churches would.

Members of other faiths, on the other hand, probably are aware of Christian practices, and in any case couldn't afford to discriminate against the majority.

My 2 cents wink.gif

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 21 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 2.1%

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Fighting For Religion In Schools

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,