Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon - Page 2 of 2

Name: Joe Country: Title: Orthodoxy Comments: - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Jun, 2013 - 8:38pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Understanding differences...
Post Date: 6th May, 2013 - 7:10pm / Post ID: #

Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon - Page 2

Name: Sara

Title: Unorthodox Mormons

Comments: I have recently started a [..] for Unorthodox Mormons. This is for LDS members who love the church and fellowship however they do not subscribe to every practice or teaching of the faith. We view ourselves non-extreme. Not strict Mormons but not lax either. We are middle-ground and believe everything in moderation.

Sponsored Links:
20th May, 2013 - 4:50am / Post ID: #

Mormon Unorthodox Vs Mormon Orthodox

There is also the generation gap issue too. I have seen, mainly with older women, an almost jealous contempt with young women, seeing first hand all the culture changes within the LDS church, like women working outside of the house, having it being "okay" to say no to your husband when he wants to do some house-hold chore you don't want to do, and seeing girls, and even older women, wearing clothing that would be shocking to see in a 1960's era church building. So being an orthodox Mormon in the past may not reflect on what it means today.

20th May, 2013 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon Studies Doctrine Mormon

Many will argue that the church is becoming less peculiar as a people and more integrated and assimilated into the rest of the world.

Post Date: 22nd May, 2013 - 3:39pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Mormon Unorthodox Vs Mormon Orthodox

Name: Joe

Title: Orthodoxy

Comments: I see unorthodox as LDS members as those who question LDs belief system. For example unorthodox LDS would question the historical authenticity of the Book of Mormon and pearl of Great Price, question the historical accuracy of the first vision, and priesthood accounts. They would also question the church's only true church claims. They would see the LDS church as a great institution that bring people to God, but really would hold in suspect some of the founding orthodox ideas and stories of the church.

26th May, 2013 - 3:41pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Unorthodox Vs Mormon Orthodox

Joe, it might be the case with some unorthodox members. I consider myself one and I do have a testimony about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Just because I spend a little more time than the average member researching and writing about Church history or perhaps be more vocal about the fact that not every word that comes out from a GA is doctrine, doesn't make my testimony weaker or see Church "Just" As a great institution.

Post Date: 3rd Jun, 2013 - 4:55pm / Post ID: #

Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon

Comments: Cheeky,

I am not certain as to what you are saying. I am sure that your testimony is "Strong." I have no doubt. I think that our miscommunication is in our definition of unorthodoxy. I would see you as a informed orthodox member. I am not sure how studying and pondering the leadership advice is unorthodox. Reading history, knowing the church's past and obscure doctrines does not make on unorthodox. (If anything probably more fundamental) What you describe is well in the bounds of Mormon orthodoxy. So please do not take it as me saying you are not a believer.

Orthodoxy for me is belief that is well within the accepted bounds of the group.

For me, unorthodoxy would be Members who question the foundational tenants of Mormonism- ie. Historical accuracy of the BOM, first vision, priesthood etc. From what I can see you do not question these things, so I would consider you orthodox. It would be the degree you personal belief agrees with literal belief or belief to the tradition is what makes on orthodox ir not. It sounds like even with your understanding you still have a pretty literal belief of the church's traditions, scripture, and foundational tenants. That is orthodoxy. You may have a different opinion than many in that tradition, but it still falls into the orthodoxy of literal belief or worldview of the church.

I am not saying that this type of unorthodoxy is bad either. I think that there is room for this type of thought in the church.
I hope this helps to clarify my point.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th Jun, 2013 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon - Page 2

Joe, I see myself as unorthodox because a lot of my views are perhaps not mainstream and from a Church culture standpoint, I'm quite different from the typical LDS. Did I mention I'm very liberal? And yes, there is room for everyone in the Church in theory, not sure in practice.

Post Date: 21st Jun, 2013 - 8:38pm / Post ID: #

Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Title: Orthodoxy

Comments: Cheeky,

I suppose if you feel you are unorthodox that that is fine by me. I am a "Big tent" Mormon and feel that their is room for everyone. If it is good than it belongs in this church. I know that Mormon culture may struggle with this concept, but I think it is well worth a conversation as to who fits in Mormonism and to what degree of unorthodoxy is accepted. I tend to think that unorthodoxy (Belief) is more accepted than unorthodoxy (Practice). But it is a conversation that I think the LDS church is going to have more frequently in the future, and various diversity of belief come in the open. I tend to look at the good one does than the correct belief one has. That is why I like Mormonism because of the goodness.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Orthodox Mormon Vs. Unorthodox Mormon

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,