Man gets life in prison for spitting

Man Life Prison Spitting - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd Dec, 2003 - 5:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

3rd Jul, 2003 - 1:26am / Post ID: #

Wow, can be possible?

From CNN:

OKLAHOMA CITY (Reuters) -- An Oklahoma man arrested on suspicion of beating his wife faced year in prison and a fine. But when he spit in an arresting officer's face, he got a life sentence instead, officials said Wednesday.

John Carl Marquez, 36, was convicted of "placing bodily fluid upon a government employee," a felony that can carry a life sentence because of the possibility of transmitting a potentially deadly disease....

https://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/07/02...reut/index.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 3rd Jul, 2003 - 1:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

spitting prison life Man

That is terrible.  But what's so bad is they said that it could carry a life sentence.  I mean, the jury voted life in prison because he has had other convictions.  20 or 40 years wouldn't have been enough?  There are some (not all) convicts that have done far worse and do not get a life sentence in prison.  But maybe they must be having a problem with suspects spitting on the officers and decided they would make an example of this guy.  I can understand the concern about getting an infectious or deadly disease.  But to life in prison for spitting, come on.  :smile.gif  Aren't there some real criminals out there to catch?  ;)

3rd Jul, 2003 - 2:03pm / Post ID: #

Man gets life in prison for spitting History & Civil Business Politics

I was very surprised for the sentence too although I cannot remember reading the reasons of his past convictions but definetly if they were that bad he would be in jail and not free :smile.gif maybe domestic violence related crimes, I don't know. But sentence to life in prison wowww a bit too much! :smile.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

10th Nov, 2003 - 1:33pm / Post ID: #

spitting prison life Man

I think this is an example of how we can really go to extremes in this country.  Same with out "3 strikes you are out" laws.  People end up with life sentences for very small infractions.  I don't think it is right.  You should be punished in accordance with the crime for which you are presently being convicted not for something you did in the past and already paid the price for.  Especially if the crime you are currently charged with has nothing to do with the past crimes.  If this is your second or third offense of the same kind of crime then I can see it being a factor, but not totally unrelated crimes.  Just my opinion of course.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

15th Nov, 2003 - 3:22pm / Post ID: #

spitting prison life Man

This is too often the result of the 3-strikes laws, as Tena pointed out.  But what really gets me is the light sentence he would have faced for beating his wife was only a year and a fine to pay.  A woman he vowed to love, honor, and cherish.  But, oh, now you've done it, mister, you've spat upon a government employee!  Horrors!  You'll suffer for that for the rest of your life!!

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

16th Nov, 2003 - 12:43am / Post ID: #

But what really gets me is the light sentence he would have faced for beating his wife was only a year and a fine to pay.  A woman he vowed to love, honor, and cherish.  But, oh, now you've done it, mister, you've spat upon a government employee!  Horrors!  You'll suffer for that for the rest of your life!

You're so right!!!! it doesn't make any sense!!! it seems like the US laws need some changes.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 2nd Dec, 2003 - 5:51am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Man life prison spitting

Wow, thats outrageous. That makes me sick...i mean. The guy should be there for more than a year because of beating his wife. But just for alittle spit? A whole lifetime is a long time. It seems so silly to me that they would do this.

> TOPIC: Man gets life in prison for spitting

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,