Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 3 of 38

Another article speaking of the release of - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 26th Nov, 2003 - 5:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (38) »
Fair treatment?
Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge Related Information to Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
1st Nov, 2003 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 3

Thanks for the link Tena, I read the article and it seems like you said is going to take long...I just hope these people have a fair trial even though (personally) do not deserve it because what they have done but they have the right to be defended properly.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
3rd Nov, 2003 - 2:53pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

I read in the Boston Sunday Globe yesterday that we are making plans to return some of the Guantanamo prisoners back to their home countries.  

Apparently, we will send back those we don't think committed any serious crimes.  The receiving government must agree to prosecute any crimes they have committed and also agree to keep an eye on their future activities.  

I don't know how many prisoners this will be and I don't remember if there was a time frame mentioned in the article.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

4th Nov, 2003 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge History & Civil Business Politics

I read in the Boston Sunday Globe yesterday that we are making plans to return some of the Guantanamo prisoners back to their home countries.  

Apparently, we will send back those we don't think committed any serious crimes.

I suppose that this is due to the International pressure to the USA over this issue.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

4th Nov, 2003 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

I don't care why we are doing it, but I do think it needs to be done.  It is not right for us to keep them indefinately.  Not to mention, the money it costs us and the personnel that we need deployed to care for them.  This has dragged on too long.  

Sometimes governments let things go on and on rather than make a decision, until someone makes a public stink. [offtopic]kind of reminds me of some things lds has said on other threads wink.gif[/offtopic]

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

5th Nov, 2003 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

I don't care why we are doing it, but I do think it needs to be done.  It is not right for us to keep them indefinately.  Not to mention, the money it costs us and the personnel that we need deployed to care for them.  This has dragged on too long.  

Sometimes governments let things go on and on rather than make a decision, until someone makes a public stink.

I'm glad to hear there is something that will be done about it. smile.gif I do hope they get the sentence they deserve....

6th Nov, 2003 - 1:10pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

Sometimes governments let things go on and on rather than make a decision, until someone makes a public stink.

This is why protesting is such an important right. Could you imagine if nobody said anything about this or any other issue?

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Nov, 2003 - 5:27pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge - Page 3

Apparently there is an appeal to the US Supreme Court on behalf of some of the Gitmo prisoners.  (Gitmo is how the US military refer to Guantanamo Bay base and it is easier than spelling it out and since I am former Marine this is how I will now refer to it smile.gif).  

https://www.msnbc.com/news/991535.asp?0cv=CB10

One of the arguments US is using against this is that the prison isn't on US soil.  That just doesn't wash.  US military bases are considered US soil for legal purposes in all other cases that I know of.  Especially since we have that base and maintain it even though the Cuban government doesn't want us there.  

Now, there is a topic for another thread.  What right do we have to stay in Cuba if they don't want us there?  Do we have a valid lease and are just refusing to leave until the lease expires or are we just saying this is too important a location for us, no way we are leaving.  Any way that is off topic so never mind, but it does seem like we want our cake and eat it too when it comes to these prisoners.

Modification:  I just did some research - it is a perpetual lease which gives us the right to be there as long as we want only ending if we leave or if both parties agree to end it.  So, that answers that. smile.gif

26th Nov, 2003 - 5:13pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

Another article speaking of the release of prisoners from Gitmo. I will include a few quotes, but the article isn't too long so you might want to read the entire thing.

https://www.msnbc.com/news/997548.asp?0dm=N239N

So far 88 people have been transferred out of Guantanamo - 84 to be released in their countries and four transferred into Saudi Arabian prisons for continued detention.

There are still 660 prisoners. The recent release of 20 was followed up by transferring another 20 there from someplace else.

Since the Guantanamo prison opened in January 2002, prisoners from 42 countries have been taken there for interrogation and detention. U.S. officials said their priority was to get intelligence to help avoid future terrorist attacks and keep dangerous people out of circulation.

I agree with what they are trying to do, just not with how they are going about it. Also, 42 countries? Wow, that I did not know.

Likewise, a number of other countries have pressed the United States to try or release suspects, some of whom have been held two years and all of whom are incommunicado and have not been allowed lawyers.

Where to we get off preventing them from having legal counsel? How is that justified?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (38) »

> TOPIC: Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,