Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 4 of 38

It might look like the punishment isn't - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 4th May, 2004 - 11:00pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (38) »
Fair treatment?
Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge Related Information to Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
27th Nov, 2003 - 3:55am / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 4

Where to we get off preventing them from having legal counsel? How is that justified?

That's a question I would like to ask Pres. Bush. Anybody have the right to have a lawyer and to contact their families.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
1st Dec, 2003 - 6:37pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Looks like stuff is really beginning to happen finally with the prisoners at Gitmo.

Here is a link speaking of the transfer of another 100 prisoners. Not specific as to how many are being completely released vs. being released for prosecution in their own countries. I am not concerned about whether or not they go directly home or stand trial in their home countries. I just don't want to see them remain at Gitmo with no rights, etc.

https://www.msnbc.com/news/999633.asp?0dm=C15JN

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

20th Apr, 2004 - 12:32pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge History & Civil Business Politics

"The writ of habeas corpus allows U.S. citizens being held in jail to go before a judge to challenge their imprisonment. In a historic argument to be heard by the Supreme Court on Tuesday, detainees captured in Afghanistan and now imprisoned at the U.S. Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba are asserting the same right to challenge their detention."

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4779743/

I don't know what the eventual finding will be, but holding anyone indefinately without charging them with a crime and allowing them to defend themselves is just wrong. I don't care what the dilema or explanation/concerns are.

From the same article:

Against giving them rights to a trial -
"Allowing the detainees court hearings in the United States could have disastrous effects on the war against al-Qaida and other terrorist groups, according to a group of lawyers called Citizens for the Common Defence, which filed a friend of the court brief in the case.

Similar court hearings "would, of course, have to be extended to all similarly situated detainees - most of whom are unquestionably Taliban or al Qaeda terrorists and many of whom may possess information critical to the war effort or to preventing further mass casualty attacks in the United States." Once given lawyers for their habeas hearings, the detainees would refuse to answer questions from interrogators "knowing that they had a court case pending that might result in their freedom," according to Citizens for the Common Defence."

and the other side of the coin -
"In a mirror-image argument, the detainees" advocates say that if the court agrees with the Bush administration's argument, it "would allow it to capture any foreign national anywhere in the world at any time and to detain him or her at Guantanamo without process or possibility of judicial review, forever."

I understand the fear that if we release these people they will do more to harm us in terms of terrorism, but we just can't allow fear to persuade us to operate in any way less than a democracy with a fair system for justice for all. If we do, then they have already won! In my opinion....

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

20th Apr, 2004 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Surprise! I agree with you. There absolutely MUST be some form of hearing. I am not sure that it should be a US court, but I don't know what else it could reasonably be either. If it is a military tribunal, there must still be a means of appeal, as there are many possibilities for abuse and error.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

23rd Apr, 2004 - 1:38am / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

but I don't know what else it could reasonably be either.

A special situation deserves a special tribunal, maybe honest people in the justice system around the world, definetly NOT from one country only who are also the ones who putted this people there in the first place.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

3rd May, 2004 - 11:25pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

It is one thing to torture, but to take pictures of you doing it with a smile on your face? How sick can you be? The natural man always looks for the negativ first. Iraqi newspapers had this as front page headlines today... you can imagine the reaction.

Leroy Seivers and the Nightline Staff
Nightline Offices ABCNEWS Washington D.C.

I'm sure that most of you, by now, have seen or heard of these pictures. One of the most troubling images may be the smiles on the faces of some of the Americans. How could they do this? That's an easy question to ask from here. Some have said that the guards were not trained for the job. But did they need to be trained that these actions were wrong? But how could anything like this happen without more people, specifically the people in charge, knowing about it? And if it was ordered by their superiors, or simply encouraged, or something in between, who's responsible then? "I was following orders" does not apply, in fact the military makes it clear that a soldier has the responsibility of refusing an illegal order. But in the real world, that may be tougher than it sounds. What really happened over there? The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs was on This Week yesterday. He said that he has still not seen the report on all this, even though that report was completed in February. How could that be? Would anything have happened if someone hadn't wanted to take pictures?

Clearly bad things happen in war. That's been true as long as there have been wars. But it's always a shock when something like this happens. We're not supposed to do this. This is the kind of thing that Saddam and his thugs would have done. And that's the reaction any time that Americans are accused of something like this. That's not what this country stands for. And that's an especially important issue when the U.S. is saying that we want to spread democracy throughout the Middle East. We're shocked by these pictures. Unfortunately, whatever ultimately comes out in the investigations, these pictures provide more ammunition for those who would say that America is no different than anyone else. And that may be the real harm that comes from this.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
4th May, 2004 - 10:15pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge - Page 4

Is something wrong when everyone knows about it? I wonder... is this so because there are checks into such things, or because the media got the photos? It makes you wonder how long this has been going on.

7 SOLDIERS REPRIMANDED
The U.S. military has reprimanded seven soldiers in the alleged abuse of inmates at Baghdad's notorious Abu Ghraib prison, the first known punishments in the case, an official said Monday. Two of the soldiers were relieved of their duties.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...60776%2C00.html

EDITORIAL: NO EXCUSE FOR ABUSE OF IRAQIS
During Saddam Hussein's brutal regime, Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad was widely known for its brutality and degradation.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...60607%2C00.html

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

4th May, 2004 - 11:00pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

It might look like the punishment isn't too harsh, with 7 soldiers only receiving reprimands. However....

None of those 7 are accused of actually being involved. They were supervisors and commanders. The reprimands will stay in their records and follow them everywhere. Their careers are finished. They won't get any promotions, nor will they be entrusted with any type of sensitive responsibilities. Basically, they will be shuttled off to desk jobs.

The 6 (so far) soldiers accused of abusing prisoners will be courtmartialed, and will likely spend the rest of their lives in prison.

BTW, I was just reading that there is apparently evidence that the pictures of British soldiers involved in abuse were faked, as the equipment shown in the pictures is outdated, not issued or used by any current units in the British military.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...Latest (38) »

> TOPIC: Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,