Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 5 of 38

I do not hold any contempt towards the American - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 5th May, 2004 - 5:51pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (38) »
Fair treatment?
Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge Related Information to Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
Post Date: 5th May, 2004 - 9:12am / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
A Friend

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 5

If this is the way some American soldiers are treating the prisoners(are they prisoners of war?) in Baghdad imagine what the so called terrorists at camp X-ray are experiencing. It was reported here(on SKY Channel)that when the British that were being held were interviewed they claim they were subjected to methods of torture to extract infomation from them. What kind of society do we live in that makes torture legal. It reminds me of how the NAZI's used to pull out peoples fingernails. Another point is how reliable this information would be? I'd say yes to anything as long as they stopped hurting me.

Sponsored Links:
5th May, 2004 - 10:00am / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

There are conflicting reports coming out of Guantanamo. It also depends on what they mean by torture. I don't know what is happening there.

Be very careful what you believe. Remember that it is to the advantage of the prisoners to try to drum up sympathy and anti-US sentiment, especially among the media. And those British prisoners surely knew it.

It is strictly against the Uniform Code of Militiary Justice (the military law) to torture prisoners. Anyone who does so will be prosecuted and will spend a very long time making big rocks into little ones.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 5th May, 2004 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge History & Civil Business Politics

The news that we are getting in Canada and I'm sure around the world, is that the torture of Iraqi prisoners is not isolated to a few cases. We also hear that prisoners in the Abu Ghraid prison were hidden from Red Cross inspectors. Last night, a news clip showed 2-3 wounded Iraqis being finished off by US troops. If all this is true, the US has committed war crimes, which is very serious stuff.

What should Bush do now ? simple, close the Abu Ghraid prison as soon as possible. and unless specific charges can be laid, release detained Iraqis.

American apologies will not sufficient and should not be. Only real honest action on the part of the US will salvage any credibility left.

5th May, 2004 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Page 5 Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

I doubt very seriously that all the charges mentioned in the above post are true. I would consider the source of the allegations in determining it. Already we know that some pictures released were staged and didn't happen. (I am referring to the British pictures)

I am confident we haven't "finished off prisoners" as is supposedly depicted in one of the news stories spoken of in the previous post. In fact, there have been numerous examples where we have given wounded prisoners exceptional medical care to save their lives.

I agree that the pictures released that have been confirmed depict things that should not have occurred and that those responsible need to be severely punished for it. In fact, I think the officers and senior enlisted people should be held even more accountable than the actual lower ranking people who did these things. The attitudes of the people in charge had to have been of such a nature that allowed this to happen. The lower ranking military members generally take their cues for tone and behavior from what the attitude is of those above them.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 5th May, 2004 - 3:05pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

It is my understanding, that a US 2 Star General provided a report in January/February in regards to his concerns on the treatement of Iraqi prisoners. Apparently, the report states that the torture/mistreatment was common practice.(???) As for the US soldiers finishing off 2-3 Iraqis, a friend of mine saw the same images on CNN.

Regardless of what turns out to be fact vs fiction, it will be very difficult for the US and the Brits to convince the world, in particular, Arab nations that these terribles actions did not happen. If Bush is apologizing today, there is a good chance that the alligations are true.

As a Canadian, what I find to be somewhat of a concern (lack of a better word) is that the American people are not as mad as hell about Guantanamo. Isn't justice for all, one of the basic principle of democracy? How do we know that torture is not going on at Guantanomo? and as an American would you not want to know?

5th May, 2004 - 3:12pm / Post ID: #

Most in the US don't really care one way or the other about Guantanamo that is true. However, I believe most are definately outraged at the recent reports of mistreatment of prisoners in Iraq.

Isn't justice for all, one of the basic principle of democracy?

Many in the US believe the US Constitution only guarantees these rights to US citizens. Others, don't give it any thought at all. To some, the fact that these people may want to cause us further harm is enough of a reason to keep them locked up. To see what I think, you can read my previous posts in this thread.

As for the US soldiers finishing off 2-3 Iraqis, a friend of mine saw the same images on CNN.

This doesn't mean what they say you were seeing is what you were actually saying. In fact, I believe Peter Arness (sp) made some knowingly false reports for CNN a while back so I don't think just because it is on CNN automatically makes it true. I cannot say it is or isn't true, I don't believe it is true, but I don't know that any more than you do. I will have to wait for further investigation before I can know for myself.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 5th May, 2004 - 3:13pm

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
5th May, 2004 - 4:47pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge - Page 5

I agree with everything that tenaheff has written, and would add a few things.

Of the reported "torture" that has occured, from some significant study of the dark side of humanity, I can assure you that it isn't torture. None of it even approaches the "pleasureable" torture of S/M sexuality. Humiliation? Absolutely. Over the line? Completely, and I look forward to the sentences that those involved will get.

But aside from one or two mild cases, it isn't torture. It doesn't even reach the daily treatment of a Turkish or Mexican prisoner, let alone the level of treatment of prisoners in such places as Saudi Arabia, China, Vietnam, Sudan, Kosovo, Iran, South Africa, Chile, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Face it. The fact that people are so upset is that they expect the US to hold a higher standard than the rest of the world. And we do. Because of that higher standard, the guilty parties will be punished.

Do you hold the same contempt that you are currently expressing towards the US for those other countries? How about the Palestinians who calmy murdered a 2-year-old baby last weekend?

Look at your own double standards, get them resolved, and than talk to us about ours. We are already addressing ours.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 5th May, 2004 - 5:51pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

I do not hold any contempt towards the American people. Nobody said war was a clean game. But when the US/Bush starts playing the tough guy on the world scene based simply on the believe that "might is right", then it becomes MY business.

It's difficult to take the US seriously when it talk about justice and democracy. The American people give the impression to the rest of us that they support a Guantanamo Bay and the imprisonment without formal charges of more than 10,000 Iraqis and no visitation rights. The explanation given is that the Constitution only covers Americans Citizen. In other words, if it's not on paper no democratic rights exist ??? Isn't democracy a belief, a state of mind a rule of justice and fair play for ALL??

Mr. Nighthawk, we do not expect a higher standard from the US, just the application of the same standard it applies to US citizens. Just because I kill one person instead of 10 does not make me less of a murderer.

In the eyes of the free world, Guantanamo Bay is a disgrace to all who truly support justice and democracy and if Bush had a once of brains he would close the facility now. You can't force democracy via the barrel of a gun.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...Latest (38) »

> TOPIC: Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,