Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 10 of 38

CHENEY: GUANTANAMO POLICY 'IS THE - Page 10 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 14th Jun, 2005 - 2:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 38 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...Latest (38) »
Fair treatment?
Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge Related Information to Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
8th Jun, 2005 - 11:43am / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 10

If 10% of the detainees were mistakes, it still doesn't make Guantanamo a "gulag" nor does it make what happens there into "torture." Nor does it invalidate the fact that almost all, if not all, of the detainees are illegal combatants under the Geneva conventions, and, in effect, terrorists. Your friend was fortunate under the circumstances that he wasn't shot out of hand, as IMO, that would be the proper thing to do with illegal combatants.

I think this whole gulag comparison is ridiculous too and offensive to the victims of that atrocity.

There is no doubt that there has been some physical and psychological torture in Guantanamo Bay. I've heard too many reports for that to not be the case. The degree of this torture is up for debate. Furthermore we all know where the Americans take prisoners when they want them seriously tortured.

A lot of detainees imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay were not fighting or involved in illegal activity at the time of their arrest, so I certainly don't agree with your assessment of all the inmates being illegals. A lot have been released without charge. Mr Habib was extremely unfortunate he got caught and spent three life altering years in a gaol without any rights. He is not an illegal combatant and is pursuing legal action against the US for his illegal imprisonment.

Show me the act which states you can imprison somebody, legal combatant or not, for years without any charge being laid against them, or allowing them any legal rights?

The problem the world has with Guantanamo, as LSD brilliantly articulated, is that the US will not charge these prisoners so they can go to trial and have their day in court. There is a good reason why they won't charge some inmates, because they simply don't have sufficient evidence to prosecute, even in the un-democratic military court. If they are terrorists then charge them and lock them up, but don't leave them hanging dry with no rights for years. They are still humans and until they are charged should be treated as innocent until proven guilty.

Ramer, I agree that terrorists use evil, inhumane methods to achieve their goals but I disagree with you on the point that everyone must wear a uniform and comply by a set of rules, drafted by the mighty, to defend their land. Not everyone is armed to their teeth with state-of-the-art military weaponry. I certainly don't agree with suicide bombing and such indiscriminate methods, but can I just add that carpet bombing is far more indiscriminate and destructive. Bulldozing peoples' houses is also indiscriminate and a form of terrorism, it cuts both ways.

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

Sponsored Links:
8th Jun, 2005 - 4:06pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

This is sololy my opinion as an American, we were attacked by a group of people who's only uniting force is that they feel that Islam should be the only religionin the world. These people have attacked the United States and have threated to do so again. When the United States invaded Afganistan and Iraq people from around the world were found to be helping these terrorist. Some of the help was in the form of direct terroristic attacks, some donated money others were involved with the planning or support of the attacks. In past (all wars prior to 1900, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam) a person who was not a member of a national military who was caught in civilian clothing conducting attacks and espionage was executed when caught and the Geneva convention still allows for this. The United States has been very nice to not execute these people.

This is a war we are in, not a police action. People found attacking, planning attacks or supporting attacks should be held until the end of hostilities, it has always been this way. My great uncle was held as a POW by the Germans from 1942 until 1945 and was never given a trial or tribunal hearing. To this day he will not talk about the treatment he received all he will say is he lost about 100 lbs while there. The treatment the United States has given the detainees is far better than they would have received from the terrorist and most other countries, at least they have their heads. I get tired of hearing how awful we are treating these people, look at how China treat their prisoners, Korea, Mexico, Japan I could go on and on. In comparison to the rest of the world we treat prisoners and detainees VERY well, perhaps too well.

I do not know the specifics of Mr. Habibs situation, but when a person is found with other terrorist you have to wonder about the other person too. A mouse doesn't hang around with a bunch of cats and think that it will not get eaten. I would have far more respect and understanding for the Islamic terrorist if they formed a united front and put on a uniform and restricted their attacks to legitimate targets. Many of the people conducting the attacks in Iraq and Afganistan are not even from those countries, they are from Syria, Iran, Saudi Arabia, the U.S., and parts of Europe. Yes, the U.S. has caused civilian deaths, the difference though is that we were attacking legitatmate targets and sadly civilians were killed, blowing a car bomb up in a market is not an accident and is unexcusable.

I apologize for stacking up my soapboxes, but I was in the U.S. Army and I take it personally when people say that our military is intentionally committing war crimes when what really needs to be looked at is how the terrorist are treating the world.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 13 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.3%

10th Jun, 2005 - 10:34am / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge History & Civil Business Politics

Ramer,

I understand and respect your point of view but I just don't think this this is a case where military action is going to solve anything. The war on terror is a farce. You can't fight terrorism with terror. You can only defeat it by preventing its cause.

Firstly, Mr Habib was not associated with any terrorists. He literally met these two gentleman, one from German and the other from Albania, five minutes beforehand as he was waiting for a bus. How can you know in five minutes whether someone is a terrorist or not, as you said they are not exactly wearing uniforms. He was very unfortunate to be caught and Pakistan released him uncharged as did the US, after 3 years. If he had any association with terrorists, neither would have let him go. I've met his family and can vouch that they are not terrorists.

I don't honestly believe US troops are intentionally targeting civilians. Maybe in the Israeli or Russian armies, but not the US army. However there have been a few disturbing cases when journalists have been specifically targeted. My point is mate, when you carpet bomb villages in a third world country like Afghanistan, whether you target civilians or not, you know you will kill them. That is the nature of WMDs. They are not precision weaponry. More innocent civilians were killed in Afghanistan by US military in response to 9/11 than were killed during that horrible attack. That is disturbing.

There is no doubt the US treats POWs better than a lot of countries, but we shouldn't be comparing our standards with evil dictatorships. Human rights have to come first, who cares what oppressive regimes do, should that set our benchmarks?

This is solely my opinion as an American, we were attacked by a group of people who's only uniting force is that they feel that Islam should be the only religionin the world. These people have attacked the United States and have threated to do so again.

None of terrorist groups are that unrealistic they believe that Islam should be the only religion in the world. They are using religion to mobilise support. What you have to understand is that throughout history these people have been screwed over by the US, Israel and other western nations ten-fold to the amount of damage they have done back. These terrorist masterminds didn't wake up one day and think, "let's bomb the US, that would be fun." They are doing it for a reason. The only effective way to stop them doing it is to not give them a reason.

US foreign and corporate policy is playing a hand in destroying the Middle East. Did you know the CIA engineered the coup which planted Saddam's Baathist party into power against the people's wishes. They continued to support Saddam while he was gassing Kurds until he turned on Kuwait which is brimming with US oil interests. There is a lot your country does, and other western nations, that you will never know about. It's not reported by CNN or FOX. That is why you are a terrorist target. It's not because they are jealous of your lifestyle, or religion. I really don't think Osama, a multi-millionaire, cares less.

I really feel for the victims of 9/11, but it's nowhere near the worst 'human caused' tragedy of the past five years. It's not even close.

One thing you mentioned which I can't quite understand. If the US is not committing war crimes, why won't it sign up to the International Criminal Court?

International Level: Negotiator / Political Participation: 453 ActivistPoliticianNegotiator 45.3%

13th Jun, 2005 - 1:00pm / Post ID: #

Page 10 Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Gourmet Fare at Gitmo 'Gulag'

"For Sunday they're going to be having Orange Glazed Chicken, Fresh Fruit Roupee, Steamed Peas and Mushrooms, Rice Pilaf - we treat them very well," he told Fox.
Last night, Hunter said, the U.S. "torture victims" enjoyed the same kind of gourmet fare, including an entree of "Lemon-baked Fish."

On the other hand, feeding the detainees MREs, the standard fare given to our troops on the front lines, is strictly verboten - considered an "abuse" under restrictions imposed by Congress, Hunter said.

The top House Republican also noted that the religious practices of the terrorist suspects held at the U.S. "gulag" are scrupulously accommodated, explaining:

"We give them honey and dates when they break fast at Ramadan. We give them prayer beads and prayer oil - all paid for [by the U.S. taxpayer.]

"In fact," he said, "if you did that for American GIs - if you had a call to prayer five times a day - the ACLU would sue on the basis that we violated the separation between church and state."

Yep, sounds just like a 'Gulag' to me. And it is SO horribly abusive to these people. My heart just bleeds for them.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

14th Jun, 2005 - 8:57am / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

I think the Gulag reference is an exaggeration regardless of what inmates are fed inside their prison. When an independent non-governmental organisation actually sees evidence of these three-course meals maybe then they might be believable. But even if they are, who cares. Nice food doesn't mean they are being treated well.

There is no denying inmates are tortured and have no rights at Guantanamo Bay. Of course it's not the worst case of torture in history, but why on earth would one compare the way a civilised democracy treats inmates to an oppresive dicatorship? Are those really the standards the US military should strive? You can not possibly win the war on terror if you incite more of it.

Whenever your police authorities catch criminals do they allow them to rot in a gaol, without charge or access to legal representation for over 3 years? Of course not. That is the whole problem with this place. Just because somebody is accused of committing a crime, often without hanging evidence, should they be denied a fair trial, even in the unfair military court? If they are terrorists then charge them and prosecute. This is a direct violation of what the US champions.

Even Rumsfeld, one of your worst performing public servants, has admitted Camp X-Ray is doing more damage than good in the battle against evil Islam.

14th Jun, 2005 - 12:40pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

Whenever your police authorities catch criminals do they allow them to rot in a gaol, without charge or access to legal representation for over 3 years? Of course not. That is the whole problem with this place. Just because somebody is accused of committing a crime, often without hanging evidence, should they be denied a fair trial, even in the unfair military court?

This is the problem, you are trying to make the terrorist equal to criminals. They are not. By the rules of war which the United States holds up very well, these men are not even POWs. I say keep the place open, the only thing the terrorist know is punishment, maybe this is small threat to them and make them think a moment before they blow themselves up in a civilian market.

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 13 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.3%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
14th Jun, 2005 - 1:37pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge - Page 10

Ramer, You are basically implying that every person the US suspects of terrorist activity is guilty. You can not go around picking people off who you think have committed a crime and removing them from society without a trial. That is what oppressive regimes, like the Nazis, do to their dissidents. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Now if these suspects were found guilty in a fair, transparent trial with legal representation then lock them up in Guantanamo Bay. But not before they have had a fair trial. Before then they should be treated as anyone else would expect too. It's not the fact that people are being locked up that is the problem, it is that they are being locked up indefinitely without any charge.

Furthermore terrorism is a crime, people who commit terrorism are criminals. Just as murderers and rapists are. You can't say one is worse than the other because terrorism is a form of crime. It is our belief that this is a savage crime, but that is our opinion. I personally think carpet bombing, murdering civilians with a bulldozer or using depleted uranium munitions is just as savage .

Let me ask you, who made the US, Britain or other coalition nations the world authority on terrorists? One person's terrorist is another person's martyr. Why doesn't the US crack down on the IRA in Ireland or ETA in Spain? These "terrorists" at Gitmo are not being apprehended on US soil therefore the US has no right to determine them terrorists or illegals. That is purely their opinion. The US does not determine what a foreign army should look like or how it should behave. Every nation has its own rules of engagement at war. Exactly which rules were your refering to in your post?

These "terrorist" groups use their methods simply because they don't have black hawk helicopters, tanks, countless troops, carpet bombs and other WMDs at their disposal. I'm not saying I agree with their hideous methods, what I am asking is you entertain the thought that any army will use the methods it feels are to its advantage. Whether one method is right or wrong is a matter of opinion, not fact. In war there is never a right, nobody ever has the right to take somebody else's life, that is my belief.

Post Date: 14th Jun, 2005 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge Politics Business Civil & History - Page 10

CHENEY: GUANTANAMO POLICY 'IS THE CORRECT ONE'

Vice President Dick Cheney said Monday he doesn't believe revelations about the treatment of prisoners at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay have become an image problem for the United States and that the facility should not be shut down.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/13/git...eney/index.html

HIGH COURT REJECTS ENEMY COMBATANT APPEAL

The Supreme Court refused Monday to be drawn into a dispute over President Bush's power to detain American terror suspects and deny them traditional legal rights.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/13/padilla.ap/index.html

> TOPIC: Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,