Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 2 of 38

Here is a link to a story at msn.com about - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 31st Oct, 2003 - 3:53pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (38) »
Fair treatment?
Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge Related Information to Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge
23rd Oct, 2003 - 1:27pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge - Page 2

OK, I did some searches.  All the articles about the conditions you quote are from January through April 2002, while construction was still going on to provide facilities.

Here are a few of the sources I found:
America's Camp Delta, Guantanamo
660 Prisoners, 42 countries: No Rights, No Charges
Revolutionary Worker #1214, October 5, 2003

The Forgotten Prisoners Of Guantanamo
Posted : 9/1½003 1:00:28 PM
Source: Jihad Unspun

Justice or Revenge?
By Terry Waite
Posted in CounterPunch (an anti-Bush publication)

I find this one very interesting.

I can recognise the conditions that prisoners are being kept in at the US camp at Guantanamo Bay because I have been there. Not to Cuba's Camp X-Ray, but to the darkened cell in Beirut that I occupied for five years. I was chained to a wall by my hands and feet; beaten on the soles of my feet with cable; denied all my human rights, and contact with my family for five years, and given no access to the outside world. Because I was kept in very similar conditions, I am appalled at the way we - countries that call ourselves civilised - are treating these captives. Is this justice or revenge?

What does this have to do with US treatment of Guantanamo prisoners?  There are no facts in this article, just opinion.  Yet it is the title of this topic.

Are you justifying the mistreatment and abuse?

Not at all.

It seems to me that you are falling into the trap that the Left has set.  It doesn't matter what we do, we are wrong.  The Taliban and Al-Quaida are justified in their actions, we can never be.

https://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=33996
Detainee seeks to stay at 'humane' Gitmo
Enlists mother to fight extradition over fear of Russian prison
Posted: August 8, 2003
5:00 p.m. Eastern
© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Since WorldNetDaily has not been overwhelmingly in support of Guantanamo, the PATRIOT ACT, and other recent actions, and it has a reputation for very balanced reporting, I think I will trust it a lot more than Human Rights Watch.

You are right.  The situation needs to be resolved, and if there is any type of torture or mistreatment going on at Guantanamo, then it needs to be investigated and resolved.  However, I think that your sources are generally as biased as if I did get all my information from the White House.

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Sponsored Links:
23rd Oct, 2003 - 3:18pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

What does this have to do with US treatment of Guantanamo prisoners?  There are no facts in this article, just opinion.  Yet it is the title of this topic.

I'm a journalist. I worked in Media for more than 10 years, I think I know a lot about journalism in general, this article stay mostly opinion, that's correct that's why in my post I add 'This is an interesting article' only. In any case, the tittle of the topic is not only based on the article itself but based on what the Human Rights Associations such as Red Cross International and Amnesty Internation have both declared the inhuman conditions that the prisoners in Guantanamo are going through. Now, I don't understand why you dismiss the testimonies of this two known human right organizations, you may have your reasons but you have to agree with me that their testimonies are not bias since the purpose of both organizations is to make sure that people around the world whether they're prisoners or not are being treated fairly. That's their job and they have reported differently on what US says. (Both organizations are US based by the way).

It seems to me that you are falling into the trap that the Left has set.  It doesn't matter what we do, we are wrong.  The Taliban and Al-Quaida are justified in their actions, we can never be.

Nobody is falling in any trap. Just because I put articles for people to read in the forum, it doesn't mean I personally agree or stand by its words...I just put the articles to read ALL sides of the bell, not the one that I want or you want to hear. Therefore, people should read the articles, research for themselves and then give an opinion on what they believe. Some truth behind all this there is, I have no doubt about it. All major TV channels, newspapers and radio stations have spoke about it. I'm amazed you have not heard anything.
The article you posted is not a good example why? first of all, is only ONE prisoner speaking...only ONE! and with his own words he said that the reason he wanted to stay in the Guantanamo Prison is because he was afraid of the conditions of the prisons in Russia that are far worst than the one in Guantanamo. Now,.based on this statement you think he is saying he's being treated 'extremely well'? or is he saying that the Guantanamo prison is really bad but the Russian one is worst?. That's the key there Nighthawlk.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

23rd Oct, 2003 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge History & Civil Business Politics

I distrust most of the major media within the US.  Having lived in Europe for 6 years, I find the US media extremely biased towards the Left, which is extemely critical of anything that the current administration does.  The same is true of Amnesty International.  As far as I can tell, Amnesty would object if the prisoners were housed in mansions with all needs met by 72 virgins each! (sarcasm off)

Perhaps I react the way I do because I see so much of this attitude around me.  I live near Detroit, which is overwhelmed by the Muslim population.  Here, it is considered the height of racism to suggest that maybe we want to keep an eye on radical Muslim charities, especially the ones that are known to funnel money to Hamas.

As I said before, all of the reports that I found through Google, talking about poor conditions, were at least a year old, many of them almost two years old.  I haven't read any reports lately.

Please don't get the idea that I think everything is okay with Guantanamo.  I don't.  I am very uncomfortable with the very idea of the US holding anyone without a speedy and fair trial.  At the same time, I don't know what else to do with these people.

NightHawk

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

24th Oct, 2003 - 1:06pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Nighthawlk, I understand your thoughts about the Media in the US. Actually is world wide phenomenon since in Media bad or controversial news are the ones that sells, not the good ones wink.gif. Anyhow, we know for a fact that the Guantanamo prisoners whether they are being treated humanely or not they have not the chance to call a judge, family or get a fair trial (even if they ever get one, lawyers, judges and all will be US citizens! it does not make sense!)  This is totally and absolutly wrong, even more coming from the country who is constantly defending human rights and liberty.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

24th Oct, 2003 - 1:24pm / Post ID: #

Revenge Justice Prisoners Guantanamo

Anyhow, we know for a fact that the Guantanamo prisoners whether they are being treated humanely or not they have not the chance to call a judge, family or get a fair trial (even if they ever get one, lawyers, judges and all will be US citizens! it does not make sense!)  

I think they could still get a fair trial.  As long as the trial wasn't held anywhere near Boston, Washington, DC, or New York City.  Juries in the US, and this means the citizens of the US, have shown time and time again, that when impaneled on a Jury, they really do put aside personal feelings and judge cases on the merits.  It is amazing, but true.

As more time passes the likelihood of a fair trial increases.  Shortly after 9/11 I don't think they could have gotten a fair trial anywhere in the US.  Memories fade with time, and except for the areas hardest hit by the attacks of 9/11, I think most people could be fair on a jury.

I think it is time to make a decision and act though.  I believe it is definately wrong to keep them prisoners indefinately.  I don't care what the reasoning is, it isn't right to hold people without charging them and then trying them for those charges.  We have laws that guarantee the right to a speedy trial.  This country has already said in past cases that citizenship wasn't necessary in order to be entitled to those rights, so they must be given them.  

This of course is just my opinion.  I didn't lose anyone one personally in the attacks, although I was working in Boston the day the two planes flew out of Logan Airport in Boston and into the World Trade Centers.  A large number of the people on those two planes were from the area I live in and I do remember how terrified and upset and confused I was over what was happening.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

24th Oct, 2003 - 4:59pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

think they could still get a fair trial.  As long as the trial wasn't held anywhere near Boston, Washington, DC, or New York City.  Juries in the US, and this means the citizens of the US, have shown time and time again, that when impaneled on a Jury, they really do put aside personal feelings and judge cases on the merits.  It is amazing, but true.

Maybe true, I'm not doubting that  but they should have some kind of international court not only judges or lawyers from the same country that put them illegally in jail without a proper trial in the first place. Don't you think?

I think it is time to make a decision and act though.  I believe it is definately wrong to keep them prisoners indefinately.  I don't care what the reasoning is, it isn't right to hold people without charging them and then trying them for those charges.  We have laws that guarantee the right to a speedy trial.  This country has already said in past cases that citizenship wasn't necessary in order to be entitled to those rights, so they must be given them.  

Exactly that's why I still wondering, what they're waiting for?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th Oct, 2003 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge - Page 2

What I think is going on is sort of the same as what Nighthawks feeling seem to be.  (No offense Nighthawk, I just think your feelings and thoughts mirror those of the people in charge.  Not saying it is a bad thing. wink.gif )

See, although they can't really come up with something with which to charge them, they don't want to let them go because they consider them a threat.  

They really aren't waiting on anything.  In my opinion.  I think their position is that if they let them go, they will just go back to their terrorist activities, and as long as they are locked up they can't hurt anyone.  I understand how they feel.  In fact, I feel like that too as a person.  However, as a member of a democratic society, I realize that this can't be allowed to continue.  It is just plain wrong.  It goes against everything this country is supposed to stand for.  

Another problem is, if they let them go, and then one of them is involved in some big terrorist action, the people who let them go are going to be persecuted greatly.  Many political careers, etc., will be ruined.  People will lose their jobs.  I can understand why these people don't want to put their neck on the line for these people.  I think that is a big part of why these people are still in jail.

Just because we don't have enough evidence to prove beyond any reasonable doubt their guilt doesn't mean we don't have enough evidence to be confident they aren't guilt free.  So, the people in charge probably feel justified keeping them locked up because they "know" they are guilty even if they can't prove it in a court of law.

It is not unheard of for a guilty person to be found not guilty.  It doesn't mean they are innocent, but our laws are such that there must be no reasonable doubt that it is possible the person didn't do it.  We also have some specific laws about admissibility of evidence in court too.

Finally, for some of them, proving their guilt might require certain information to be made public that could compromise or jeopardize the federal government and "State" secrets.  The government isn't willing to put this information out into the public realm, but because they have the evidence they know of the guilt.  I think this is true of some of these people, but I doubt it can be said for them all.

Having said all of that, I still feel we need to either charge them or set them free.  I am just glad I don't have to be the one to make the final decision.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

31st Oct, 2003 - 3:53pm / Post ID: #

Guantanamo Prisoners Justice Revenge Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

Here is a link to a story at msn.com about upcoming trials for terrorists held at Guantanamo Bay.  I found it interesting.  Although the wheels of justice are turning slowly, at least they appear to be turning.

https://www.msnbc.com/news/987217.asp?0bl=-0

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (38) »

> TOPIC: Guantanamo Prisoners: Justice or Revenge

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,