Politics - Hawai'ian Sovereignty and U.S. Imperial - Page 4 of 4

Native Hawaiians seek right to self-govern - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th May, 2006 - 9:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
3rd Nov, 2003 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Politics - Hawai'ian Sovereignty and U.S. Imperial - Page 4

Farseer said

and that each person living there now, whether Hawai'ian or not, is dealt with as fairly as possible, based upon records of descendancy and legitimate property claims.

"In a perfect world."  I would love to see it happen, and for all parties concerned, ALL who live there now, Hawai'ian or not, to cooperate and work together in a peaceful manner.  It *won't* happen, of course.
tenaheff said (about being compensated after 100 years)
Yes, I am if it hasn't been resolved in over 100 years and if I am given the same rights in that society as anyone else living there is.
 That really surprises me.  Within 100 years, there are still people living who knew the people who lived through it -- grandparents or great-grandparents.  You're a better person than I am, I think!

You mentioned you are a "solutions" person.  I admire that whole-heartedly.   In this case, and others, there just aren't any good solutions.  It's certainly frustrating.

LDS_Forever said
to see how it feels and how we do that? by reading about history, not allowing the mistakes of the past to return and by not forgetting...and this last one can be achieved only when they speak about it, discuss about it, fight against it and demand their rights

Well said.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Sponsored Links:
4th Nov, 2003 - 11:13am / Post ID: #

Imperial US Sovereignty Hawaiian Politics

Farseer, first, I don't think I am a better person than you are.  Not at all.  We are different, and in fact, maybe you are better because you can empathize with people in a way I cannot.

I have come through some hardships in the past 6 months that have shown me, personally, that I am better off letting go of my anger and moving on.  I am sure this is some of what is coming out in the opinions I have expressed.

I did a lot of thinking about this situation last night.  I think the danger of the situation could be much like what has been going on in Ireland for generations.  Some of the people in Northern Ireland want to remain a part of the British Empire and some do not.  This has been a very bloody confrontation.  I wouldn't want that to happen in Hawaii.  I think it could, if not everyone is in agreement with changing the status from being a U.S. State to being a separate nation.  Now, I realize there are other issues in Ireland as well, but if a real push was on to give Hawaii their sovereignty, I think other issues would arise in Hawaii too.

I don't have a personal stake in this except as a US citizen, but I am not Hawaiian and I have never even been there.  So, my opinion, is nothing more than that.  I would be interested in hearing from Hawaiians on this topic.  And, I mean any Hawaiian born and raised there.

I have traced one line of my family tree back to the 1600's in the State of New Hampshire.  I was born and raised there as well. I consider myself a native of New Hampshire, even though I live in Massachusetts.  Yet, I am not a Native American Indian.  So, that is why I say I would be interested in hearing from Hawaiians that consider themselves native to Hawaii regardless of their ethnicity.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

8th Nov, 2003 - 3:55am / Post ID: #

Politics - Hawai'ian Sovereignty and U.S. Imperial History & Civil Business Politics

(re: Ireland) This has been a very bloody confrontation.  I wouldn't want that to happen in Hawaii.

That would be an awful thing, but as you said, there are other longer standing issues with Ireland.  I don't really see this coming down to war in Hawai'i.

Farseer, first, I don't think I am a better person than you are.  Not at all.  We are different....
 Yes.  And different is a good thing.  Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to have these rousing discussions smile.gif

I would also appreciate an Islander's views here.

Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 29th May, 2006 - 9:29pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Page 4 Imperial US Sovereignty Hawaiian Politics

Native Hawaiians seek right to self-govern

HONOLULU - Hawaii politicians are scrambling to gather enough votes in Congress to pass a bill that would grant Native Hawaiians a degree of self-government and possibly a share of the land ruled by their ancestors.
Ref. https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060529/ap_on_...ian_recognition

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Politics - Hawai'ian Sovereignty and U.S. Imperial

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,