Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? - Page 15 of 42

Hmmm... I wonder if Iran wants piece of the - Page 15 - Studies of Islam - Posted: 28th Jul, 2003 - 2:09pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 42 pgs.  11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...Latest (42) »
This thread is NOT specifically about Iraq, the USA, or Afghanistan. It is about Osama Bin Laden himself and the views of the Middle Eastern world about him. Share your views.
Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? Related Information to Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe?
20th May, 2003 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? - Page 15

Once again ABC News Nightline hits the target. Maybe I should go work there smile.gif

Chatter.  That's the current term for intercepted communications between
suspected or known terrorists that intelligence agencies think precede
some sort of attack.  If the "chatter" increases dramatically, that sets
off alarms all over.  That's what happened before the recent attacks in
Saudi Arabia.  But even with some advance knowledge, those attacks were
still carried out.  We have been through this before.  The threat level is
increased, and people think to themselves, "okay, now what?"

Can we really stop terrorism?  Actually, let me rephrase that.  Can we
stop acts of terrorism through law enforcement or military means?  For the
moment, I will avoid the issue of addressing the root causes.  That's a
whole different issue.  But can the individual act be stopped?  The
government has adopted all sorts of new powers and tactics in the wake of
9/11.  Have they been effective?  We can point to the lack of attacks in
this country and say "maybe."  In fact, just two weeks ago, there were a
number of people in the intelligence community who were saying that we had
al Qaeda on the run, that we had broken its back, or crippled it, or
whatever phrase you want to use.  That was before the attacks in Saudi
Arabia and Morocco.  And there is some sense that al Qaeda itself is
changing, coming up with new ways of operating.

Israel has been buffeted by attacks over the last couple of days.  And
that is one of the most vigilant countries around.  They close their
borders.  Run checkpoints.  Engage in military operations.  There are
guards at most public places, stores, restaurants, whatever.  People are
always on the lookout for something suspicious.  And still they cannot
stop the attacks.  Generals, it is said, always prepare to fight the last
war.  Maybe that's what we're doing.  In the wake of the attacks on 9/11,
we have changed our air travel system.  But can we stop the individual
suicide bomber?  Or some form of attack that we haven't even considered,
but that the terrorists have?  After all, they pick the time, place, and
method.  And how do we live under that kind of threat?

Those are the issues that we're going to be addressing tonight.  Chris
Bury will report on the events around the world today, the increased
security precautions, and the increased "chatter."  Ted will be anchoring
tonight, and we're still working out who Ted's guests will be.  I hope
you'll join us.

Tuesday, May 20, 2003

Leroy Sievers and the Nightline Staff

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2003 - 11:34pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe?
A Friend

Foe Friend Laden Bin Osama

I have a thought  about hitler, bin laden types.

I don't think that france, britain, and others supported hitler before WWII.  I think they were just complacent and naive not wanting to believe that hitler was a threat until it was too late.  

not to get political here but it's known that Clinton was offered bin laden several time during his 2 terms but did not take these offers knowing that bin laden was behind the first attempt to destroy the twin towers in 1993, and 2 embassy bombings.

Don't get me wrong here I know that this problem goes way back to the Carter administration and reagan, ford, bush sr. admins.

I just making the point that many times these problems can be avoided if they aren't always put off for the next leaders to deal with.

"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last." - sir winston churchill

12th Jul, 2003 - 6:07pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? Islam Studies

If true then Al Qaeda is truly looking at damaging the US anyway it can. It is an interesting tatic used only in small time warefare.... Small time warefare? Yup, in history think of how settlers burnt homes and fields to drive the enemy out. The trojan horse is another similar example of the 9/11 plot since the same people who committed the act used a 'cosmeti' front to make everyone feel that everything was normal.

FBI WARNED OF AL QAEDA FOREST FIRE PLOT

The FBI alerted law enforcement agencies last month that an al Qaeda terrorist
now in detention had talked of masterminding a plot to set a series of
devastating forest fires around the western United States.
https://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Southwest/07/11...g.ap/index.html

Post Date: 14th Jul, 2003 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 15 Foe Friend Laden Bin Osama

I think that he is probably still alive somewhere hiding out.  They never could find any proof that they ever killed him or any clues that proves that he is dead.  The US assumes that they 'think' they got him.  But I think that he is hiding and waiting to start plotting again, once the dust of everything settles down.

14th Jul, 2003 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

Foe Friend Laden Bin Osama

Yes, I think he's hiding too. I cannot wait the day that they will catch him! that guy is so evil and killed so many innocent lives. I don't think he's even a human being and not to mention he's not a Muslim, he may think he is, but everything he does ALL goes against the Islam.

25th Jul, 2003 - 10:22am / Post ID: #

What has to be asked now is whose fault is it really? Osama for making the attack? Or for people having information about the attack and not seriously doing anything to stop it. If you know a man is going to burgular your home are you going to install an alarm, put good locks and take the necessary precautions or are you just oing to leave it up to chance? Seems like the people (intelligence) in the US decided to leave it to chance.

From ABCNews Nightline:

A long-awaited report on government failures leading up to September 11th was finally released today. It paints a picture of intelligence agencies that weren't sharing or communicating effectively with each other and any chances to stop September 11th before it happened, however remote, were missed. But what's most interesting about the report may be what's not in it.

Nearly two years after the horrific events of September 11th, the findings of a Congressional investigation into how the intelligence community failed to prevent those events have finally been made public. There are no smoking guns. But that's not to say that there weren't opportunities, however more clearly seen with the advantage of hindsight, that could have led officials to the terrorists before they boarded those planes.

After months of Congressional hearings, closed sessions, and declassification procedures, ABC News has obtained copies of the nearly 900-page report released today. It details how the intelligence community failed to connect the dots leading up to the 9/11 attacks. They knew that Osama Bin Laden's organization wished to strike the U.S. They knew that al Qaeda had considered using airplanes as bombs. By failing to connect these leads with critical tips on suspected terrorists, and sharing this information with the relevant agencies, was 9/11 inevitable?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Jul, 2003 - 9:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Osama Bin Laden Friend Foe - Page 15

I think that 9/11 could have been avoided.  It just makes me angry to hear that all these intelligence agencies had all this information about the attack and just stayed quiet.  It seems like not once did they think that it was relevant to share this information.  If they would have just got a second opinion from the other agencies or brought it to a government offical's attention, I believe that it could have saved many lives.  But now, we will never know if the information could have done anything.

28th Jul, 2003 - 2:09pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend Foe Studies Islam - Page 15

Hmmm... I wonder if Iran wants piece of the action? Isn't it interesting that the news has died on Iran's plot for nuclear weapons? I think Bush is taking on too much heat right now and can't deal with taking on the whole world.

Iran holds Al Qaeda suspects: now what?
Progress complicated on many fronts, including how far Iran should
appear to cooperate with the US. By Michael Theodoulou
https://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0728/p11s01-wome.html

> TOPIC: Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,