Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? - Page 8 of 42

Well he is alive and planning, what do you - Page 8 - Studies of Islam - Posted: 6th Mar, 2003 - 8:19pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 42 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...Latest (42) »
This thread is NOT specifically about Iraq, the USA, or Afghanistan. It is about Osama Bin Laden himself and the views of the Middle Eastern world about him. Share your views.
Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? Related Information to Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe?
20th Feb, 2003 - 8:13pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? - Page 8

[quote]yes, maybe. I thought that he said he was going to kill himself as a way to fool everybody that he's dead. He doesn't look like the type like he's really going to do it but again..who knows. [/quote]
If he does I am sure it so that he can be revered by those who follow him as a martyr... as one whom the West could never catch. The Joan of Arc of the Middle East?

I find it strange that the US has played down the fact that they could not find or get him. I guess their intelligence is not as good as they thought? I guess those around Osama are ever faithful too, since a big part of intelligence is 'buying' someone to give info.

The average US citizen lives in fear of the unknown. Why is it that they keep having interactions with such far away countries then? Does the US treally feel it has a duty to 'Protect the World'? If it does, then what is it protecting it from?

From Deseret News:

SCARY TIMES AFFECT BUSINESSES SELLING SURVIVAL PRODUCTS
At the height of his business, Harry Weyandt couldn't hire people fast enough to
field the hundreds of telephone orders ringing into his offices each day.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...29981%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
26th Feb, 2003 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Foe Friend Laden Bin Osama

This came from ABC's Nightline, if you notice, it follows the same theme as the first post of the thread;

It was Cicero and later, St. Augustine of Hippo who is
credited with developing the "just war theory."  It's a long way from
Roman thought or early Christian thinking to the nuclear age, so the
concept of "just war" has evolved over the years
.  If you boil it down,
the "just war" doctrine says attacks can be justified when they target
aggressors, not innocent civilians.

Like any theory, reasonable people can disagree that a war with Iraq is
just.  The Pope, for one, has been aggressively against any plans to use
force against Iraq.  So this month, Catholic theologian Michael Novak was
invited by the U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See to address a public
audience at Vatican City to make the case why this war is morally
justified.  "A limited and carefully conducted war to bring about a change
of regime in Iraq is, as a last resort, morally obligatory," he said.  "For
public authorities to fail to conduct such a war would be to put their
trust imprudently in the sanity and good will of Saddam Hussein."
[hr]

The thing about any war is the fact that you cannot avoid having innocent people affected. Afterall, even if you avoided killing civilians, you would still be killing fathers or husbands of those civilians.

4th Mar, 2003 - 8:22pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe? Islam Studies

Wonder if Bin Laden has been so quiet because everyone that was close to him is being caught?

From Deseret News:
BIN LADEN SPIRITUAL LEADER IS ARRESTED
U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft announced Tuesday that the self-proclaimed
spiritual leader of Osama bin Laden, who was also one of bin Laden's major
financiers, was arrested quietly two months ago in an FBI sting in Germany.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...30955%2C00.html

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2003 - 3:42pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe?
A Friend

Page 8 Foe Friend Laden Bin Osama

Bottom Line is, I cannot help but view him as a coward.
My credo cannot countenance the deliberate targeting of unarmed women and children. There is enough of that without deliberately trying to kill civilians.

On the plus side, he did have the 'cojones' to target both the Pentagon building, the White House, as well as the USS Cole.

He did have the effect of waking America up out of a self-satisfied, couch potato slumber. We were forcibly thrust into the middle of what is going on all over the world.

Too bad for him, because when Americans get ticked off, everybody better go find a hole to hide in.

The comments about bin Laden feeding his own people is not surprising. My take on the man is that he is trying to set himself up as a Prophet figure, a modern day Mohammed. He is seeking Power in the Arab world, so he, being a highly intelligent man, will go to great lengths to make himself look like Robin Hood to the Arab world.

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2003 - 3:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Foe Friend Laden Bin Osama

JB
Concerning your comments on 'moral justifications for war'

I feel no compulsion to 'justify' war.

If you attack me or mine, I will kill you. Period.

No police, no court, no Pope will prevent me from coming after you. I need no sanction from 'god', no one's permission.

You declare war on me, you got war, hoss.

6th Mar, 2003 - 4:03pm / Post ID: #

Sorry Stranger but it seems to me that most americans are taking this war so lightly, just because the United States have the power to do what they want (yes, because they can!) it doesn't mean that the rest of the world must agree with them. Although Pres. Bush already proved he doesn't really care what other countries has to say about the matter. He thought about this war LONG BEFORE september 11th, I'm not a dumb, everybody knows what's the real purpose behind that war. Now, it seems to me that americans cannot see the whole picture because they're too accostum to live in their 'little world' but there are more countries out there besides the USA! Now, what I don't understand about all this is the following and I hope I can get an answer from you:
How come the UN and the United States (the same to me! by the way) :smile.gif wants Iraq to disarm and also other countries of weapons of mass destruction WHEN the USA has the same weapons too???? If the rule is for everybody, then why they don't ask the United States of America to disarm? Can you answer me that? But please, give me a reasonable answer. I'm tired to hear that the United States say they have those weapons but they will use it ONLY to defend themselves and to save the world and all that bologna...I want to know why the United States don't disarm themselves and expect other countries to do it...

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Mar, 2003 - 4:51pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend Foe - Page 8

[quote]JB
Concerning your comments on 'moral justifications for war' [/quote]
You mean ABC News comments on moral justifications?

[quote]If you attack me or mine, I will kill you. Period. [/quote]
?

[hr]

[quote] If the rule is for everybody, then why they don't ask the United States of America to disarm? Can you answer me that? [/quote]
The US feels it will only use it for defensive purposes and not agressive (like they believe other countries will). Strange thing about a nuclear weapon though... once there is an exchange of those kinds of bombs no one really wins.

6th Mar, 2003 - 8:19pm / Post ID: #

Osama Bin Laden Friend Foe Studies Islam - Page 8

Well he is alive and planning, what do you think Osama will do next?

Deseret News:

OSAMA ALIVE AND IN CHARGE
Osama bin Laden was in Pakistan as recently as last month and met there with his
chief operational lieutenant, Pakistani security officials said Wednesday.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...31415%2C00.html

> TOPIC: Osama Bin Laden Friend or Foe?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,