Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 170 of 174

At most a 9? Where did you get that number? - Page 170 - D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Posted: 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

16th April 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Draconian
Draconian
Ranger
Ranger
Paladin
Paladin
Fighter
Fighter
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Warlock
Warlock
Wizard
Wizard
Barbarian
Barbarian

+  « First of 174 pgs.  166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 
Closed
Forum Based Dungeons DragonsDungeons & Dragons
This RPG is CLOSED GM Stats
Post Date: 9th Oct, 2018 - 3:35pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions
A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions - Page 170

*laugh* so I'm in the wrong town fishing for information then (Like I didn't know how lost or how fat so just assumed it was close by sorry so pretty much In a random place RN no clue if its safe).

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 9th Oct, 2018 - 6:27pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

I don't think you're supposed to be in any town. You said something about arriving in town, but the Dungeon Master didn't say you had found anything of the sort. I think it's safe to assume you are still wandering the wilderness. In this situation, what you most likely need to do is try a few survival checks. I don't think you have survival training, so just roll a D20, and add your wisdom modifier.

Post Date: 9th Oct, 2018 - 8:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions Archive Pathfinder / D&D

What roll's would I need for climbing safely finding my bearings and gliding down to the floor normally and in a emergency?

Post Date: 10th Oct, 2018 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 170 Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Most actions of this sort are handled by one of the many skills. I suggest checking the following source or one similar to it.

Source 4i

However, to answer your question:
-climbing, Climb skill
-finding your bearings, Survival skill
-gliding down normally, no check needed
-gliding down in an emergency, up to the Dungeon Master, probably either a Reflex save or a Tumble skill check

For each skill, check your character page first. See what modifier you have for it. For instance for the climb skill you have a total modifier of +1, so you would roll a 1d20+1.

If your character page doesn't have the skill listed, in most cases that doesn't mean you can't use the skill, just that you haven't invested in it. Just roll the basic ability modifier associated with the skill. For example, it appears you have not invested in Tumble. If you need to make a Tumble check, just use your basic Dexterity modifier, for a 1d20+4.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:01am

Post Date: 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:07am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Questions Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

So check what I got and then make roll for it would climbing come under dexterity? Just checked ok so climbing would be a 10 base 8 plus 2 and since I don't have survival what does it come under?

Reconcile Edited: redsopine on 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:10am

Post Date: 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:09am / Post ID: #

A Friend

No, as it happens, Climb is a Strength based skill.

You've invested 2 ranks into climb, and have a -1 strength modifier. So your final Climb skill modifier is +1.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions - Page 170

Ok climb is at most a 9 what dice do I use and what for that.

Post Date: 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:25am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play Post Questions D&D / Pathfinder Archive - Page 170

At most a 9? Where did you get that number?

There is no maximum value for any skill. Though it certainly gets tough to keep finding extra bonuses to add on after a certain point.

In any case, unless otherwise specified, rolls are pretty much always made with a twenty sided die, usually listed as a d20. A result of 20 before adding on modifiers is always a success, a result of 1 before adding modifiers is always a failure.

So for the climb skill, you would roll 1d20+1. That is to say roll 1 twenty sided die, and then add 1 to the die's result. In this game, you would use the virtual dice roller that is a part of the forum's post function. Just look below the text box for it.

For most skills, you have the option of not rolling, and instead "Taking ten" or "Taking twenty"

Taking ten skips the dice roll and gives you a result of 10 plus your modifier. It can only be done when you are not in a stressful situation, but is generally a good idea when that result is enough to do what you're hoping for.

Taking twenty works like the above, it gives a result of 20 plus your modifier. However, it cannot be performed for any check where failing the check has negative consequences, and take 20 times as long as a normal check attempt. Basically this is for any situation where you can keep retrying the skill check over and over again until you succeed.

Edit: I already mentioned that getting your bearings will take a Survival skill check.

Reconcile Edited: daishain on 10th Oct, 2018 - 1:26am

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Play By Post Questions

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,
This International Discussions custom Play By Post Pathfinder Role-playing Game uses trademarks and/or copyrights owned by Paizo Publishing, LLC under permission. More details can be found in the first Post of any Pathfinder RPG. Wizards of the Coast are he trademark owners for D&D and likewise allow the use of their system under permission.