Politics - The Next US President? - Page 22 of 25

Believe it or not, voting in Florida starts - Page 22 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 18th Oct, 2004 - 4:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 25 pgs.  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 

?
Poll: Are you happy that Pres. Bush was re-elected for another term?
  Yes       25.00%
  No       75.00%
Total Votes: 4

Closed
12th Oct, 2004 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

Politics - The Next US President? - Page 22

I read about this and you have to wonder what he was thinking when he made those comments. The DNC has accused Bush and his campaign for taking Kerry's words out of context, but I dont see how you could interpret this in any other way. I hope the US public realizes that this is really how Kerry views terrorism, and how he will target it if he makes it into office. The DNC has always been known to take the soft road against terrorism and this comment is an example of such a stance.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Oct, 2004 - 10:16am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

President US The Politics

LEFT, RIGHT JABS: KERRY HITS AT WAR, JOBS; BUSH BLASTS TAXES, SPENDING

Sen. John Kerry said Wednesday night that President Bush bears responsibility for a misguided war in Iraq, lost jobs at home and mounting millions without health care. Bush tagged his Democratic rival as a lifelong liberal bent on raising taxes and government spending.
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...98195%2C00.html

14th Oct, 2004 - 12:09pm / Post ID: #

Politics - The Next US President? History & Civil Business Politics

I thought the biggest and lowest blow in the debate last night was when Kerry brought up the VP lesbian daughter as a reference in his discussion of gay marriage. The DNC has been quoted as saying that Cheney's daughter is 'fair game' in the debates. It just goes to show the levels that they are willing to go to gain public favor.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

15th Oct, 2004 - 2:54am / Post ID: #

Page 22 President US The Politics

John Edwards did the same thing. I think they completely misunderstand what "the public" wants to hear. Bad move, Kerry! Bad move!

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 16th Oct, 2004 - 11:12am / Post ID: #

President US The Politics

BUSH MAY REVIVE THE DRAFT, KERRY SAYS

John Kerry said Friday there is a "great potential" for a new military draft to replace overextended U.S. troops in Iraq if President Bush wins a second term, despite Bush's repeated pledges to maintain the all-volunteer service. Republicans rejected the suggestion as "fear mongering."
Ref. https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...98710%2C00.html

16th Oct, 2004 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

Politics - The Next US President?

What I dont understand about Kerry is that in all of his debates he has promised to increase troops abroad and locally but he too states he wont revive the draft. How then would he be able to fulfill his promises, and wouldnt the Republicans have a similar argument about Kerry reviving the draft if he is elected President?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Oct, 2004 - 4:10am / Post ID: #

Politics The US President - Page 22

This is a very well-written article that expresses my view of things much better than I can say it. I'm posting the entire article because I was not provided with link. I'll see if I can actually find one and add it later.
=============

This was written in the Daily Record (Ellensburg, Washington paper) on
Wed. Oct. 6, 2004. It was written by Mathew Manweller who is a Central
Washington University political science professor.

The title of the article was "Election determines fate of nation."

"In that this will be my last column before the presidential election
there will be no sarcasm, no attempts at witty repartee. The topic is too serious, and the stakes are too high. This November we will vote in the only election during our lifetime that will truly matter. Because America is at a once-in-a-generation crossroads, more than an election hangs in the balance.

Down one path lies retreat, abdication and a reign of ambivalence. Down
the other lies a nation that is aware of its past and accepts the daunting
obligation its future demands. If we choose poorly, the consequences will
echo through the next 50 years of history.

If we, in a spasm of frustration, turn out the current occupant of the White House, the message to the world and ourselves will be twofold. First, we will reject the notion that America can do big things. Once a nation that tamed a frontier, stood down the Nazis and stood upon the moon, we will announce to the world that bringing democracy to the Middle East is too big of a task for us. But more significantly, we will signal to future presidents that as voters, we are unwilling to
tackle difficult challenges, preferring caution to boldness, embracing the mediocrity that has characterized other civilizations.

The defeat of President Bush will send a chilling message to future presidents who may need to make difficult, yet unpopular decisions. America has always been a nation that rises to the demands of history regardless of the costs or appeal. If we turn away from that legacy, we turn away from who we are. Second, we inform
every terrorist organization on the globe that the lesson of Somalia was well earned. In Somalia we showed terrorists that you don't need to defeat America on the battlefield when you can defeat them in the newsroom. They learned that a wounded America can become a defeated America. Twenty-four-hour news stations and daily tracing polls will do the heavy lifting, turning a cut into a fatal blow. Except that Iraq is Somalia times 10.

The election of John Kerry will serve notice to every terrorist in every cave that the soft underbelly of American power is the timidity of American voters. Terrorists will know that a steady stream of grizzly photos for CNN is all you need to break the will of the American people. Our own self-doubt will take it from there. Bin Laden will recognize that he can topple any American administration without setting foot on the homeland.

It is said that America's WW II generation is its 'greatest generation.' But my greatest fear is that it will become known as America's 'last generation'. Born in the bleakness of the Great Depression and hardened in the fire of WW II, they may be the last American generation that understands the meaning of duty, honor and sacrifice. It is difficult to admit, but I know these terms are spoken with only hollow detachment by many (but not all) in my generation. Too many citizens
today mistake 'living in America' as 'being an American'. But America has
always been more of an idea than a place. When you sign on, you do more than
buy real estate. You accept a set of values and responsibilities.

This November, my generation, which has been absent too long, must grasp
the obligation that comes with being an American, or fade into the oblivion
they may deserve. I believe that 100 years from now historians will look back at the election of 2004 and see it as the decisive election of our century.

Depending on the outcome, they will describe it as the moment America joined the ranks of ordinary nations; or they will describe it as the moment the prodigal sons and daughters of the greatest generation accepted their burden as caretakers of the City on the Hill."

Hindsight is 20/20 -- Foresight is Priceless

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

Post Date: 18th Oct, 2004 - 4:30pm / Post ID: #

Politics The US President Politics Business Civil & History - Page 22

Believe it or not, voting in Florida starts today. Both candidates are down there today, and to no one's surprise, there are already concerns and accusations about election problems.

As Yogi Berra is reported to have said, "It's dejà vu all over again." Don't know if he actually said that, but one of the great things about being a source of great quotes is that you often get credit for saying things that you may never have said. In any case, early voting did in fact start today in Florida. And already the charges are flying. The governor (and the president's brother) has already said that there are not enough polling places in some areas, and some of those areas are predominantly African-American. Lost in the furor over butterfly ballots and chads last time were charges that thousands of African-American voters were disenfranchised. One of the problems was a list of felons, who would be ineligible to vote, put together by a private company hired by the state. It turned out that many people on the list--and many of them were African-American--were not felons and were on the list by mistake. But they were still prevented from voting. Now, four years later, there are charges that the same kind of thing is happening again. Correspondent Jim Wooten will report on that for us tonight.
Ref. Leroy Sievers and the Nightline Staff Washington D.C.

+  « First of 25 pgs.  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 

> TOPIC: Politics - The Next US President?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,