USA vs Cuba - Page 2 of 15

I think they should leave it the way it is,americans - Page 2 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Feb, 2004 - 10:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (15) »
Should US Americans be Allowed to Visit Cuba? Should a country tell you where you can and cannot go?
Post Date: 9th Jan, 2004 - 4:18pm / Post ID: #

USA vs Cuba
A Friend

USA vs Cuba - Page 2

I think this whole travel issue to Cuba, is one big joke. It was started years ago in a way so as to not, i repeat not. support a communist government. That was then, this is now.

Red China is open to travel, trade and investments. It hold the status of "Favoured Trading Nation" Yet, it is a Communist run country. It imprisions their dissidents without proper trial. there are no free elections. any freedoms that they might enjoy are rare and few. Families are not allowed to have more than ONE CHILD! and if by chance, there is a 2nd one. that is killed. Murdered. They have Slave Labour. Quite abit of their exports are made by prision labour. Clothes, electrical items. etc. etc. And you see adverts on TV about travel to Red China. Investing in Red China.

And then theres Cuba. a little island nation 90 miles off the cost of America. A leader who the Americans dissed back in 1959. Castro came to America, hat in hhand asking for assistence
asking for some financial help. after he overthrew a corrupt government that was bleeding the common people dry. and what did america do. ? slamed the door it Castro's face. Kept Castro waiting in New York City until he got fed up and left. Refused to even let him enter DisneyLand in California. So who do you think steps in to help this new, fledgeling nation, Russia. It sends in technicial advisors. helps with the economy. sets up a government that will work with them. And America frowns. It shouts from the rooftops that Cuba is a menece and a threat to America.

So what was/is Cubas crime against America. Its led by a man who is a revoluntionary. a government that uses a form of communisn to rule the country.

America allows tourists to visit China, Russia, Vietnam. But not Cuba. America allows and promotes investment in those countries. But not Cuba.

Its about time that America gets off its high morale horse and drop all the sanctions to Cuba. Stop listening to a handfull of dissedents in Florida. Open the borders and permit free and open trade.

America has nothing to fear from Cuba. Its an agricultural based country with 57 chevy's running around in the streets.

Sponsored Links:
9th Jan, 2004 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

Cuba USA

I think the reason the US originally started the boycott was more than that is was a communist nation. There was a time when they had nuclear or atomic (not sure which) missiles pointed at us. This is what I believe started it.

I do agree, however, that it is time for it to end.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2004 - 7:59pm / Post ID: #

USA vs Cuba
A Friend

USA vs Cuba History & Civil Business Politics

That's no excuse, American sanctions predate the missile crisis, and - in fact - were largely responsible for it. Cuba has far more cause to be sulky at the US than vice versa..

(Cuba) For a country with basically NO resources, they've managed to be extremely generous to other nations in need, the Cuban Literacy campaigns are amazing, I find the fact that people continue to do that work despite the american assassination of teachers inspiring, and the very idea that they should have to "prove" anything to the states is ridiculous.

9th Jan, 2004 - 8:11pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Cuba USA

Well, Xtra, we will just have to disagree on this one. I do believe we should lift sanctions, but I don't agree with most of what else you have said.

Sanctions are a legitimate tool used all the time not just by the US. It is, in fact, often employed by the UN. I just happen to think this hasn't worked so we need to move on and I also don't believe sanctions should include telling me as a US citizen where it is I can travel.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

10th Jan, 2004 - 5:24pm / Post ID: #

Cuba USA

Xtra, I agree with most of what you said. In my opinion the reason the US do not lift the sanctions against Cuba is because the US government is prideful in general terms. Castro do not care about the US and he says so, he's not afraid to express his views (even though I personally do not agree with them), he's a open opposer of the USA and I don't think the USA can stand it, therefore the punishment continues...

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 10th Jan, 2004 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

USA vs Cuba
A Friend

USA vs Cuba

QUOTE (tenaheff @ 9-Jan 04, 4:11 PM)
I just happen to think this hasn't worked so we need to move on and I also don't believe sanctions should include telling me as a US citizen where it is I can travel.

I still say, open up the travel restrictions. Drop the idea that Cuba is a bad country. America allows its people to travel throughout the world to countries far worst that Cuba. It all comes back to a few disidents in Florida who oppose this action.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Jan, 2004 - 8:58pm / Post ID: #

USA Cuba - Page 2

I agree, but it probably won't happen any time soon with the upcoming Presidential election. Florida is an important state in the election.

Post Date: 3rd Feb, 2004 - 10:53am / Post ID: #

USA vs Cuba
A Friend

USA Cuba Politics Business Civil & History - Page 2

I think they should leave it the way it is,americans that 'need' to go there have ways of getting there,as was pointed out already.Why would an average american care if they could go to cuba?I mean from what I've seen, it reminds me of tijuana;yuck.hack.!
Lets not forget also that the cuban missle crisis happened right in the middle of the 'cold war',with help from russia(and, yes, tenaheff they were nukes 'the real deal')((aimed at the white house, someone please correct me if I'm wrong))
Also in regards to travel to china/russia/and other communist countries,they all have significant miles from here to there,and I think that also has alot to do with the way things are.JMHO.What would we gain if they opened trade?Cigars?

On topic:No I dont think they should tell us where to go,but geography/past relations has to play some part in their reasoning,the 'always an exception to every rule' statement seems to fit here.We are allowed to go everwhere except "insert exception here".

Reconcile Edited: Dio The Dark on 3rd Feb, 2004 - 11:07am

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (15) »

> TOPIC: USA vs Cuba

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,