School prank or something more?

School Prank More - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 13th Sep, 2003 - 3:40pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2003 - 1:28am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Two students charged with bomb threats

Two high school students could face prison time, several and hefty fines if convicted in connection with bomb threats in Lee County (this is the county I live in) this week.

An anonymous tip received by the local Sheriff's Department on Thursday led to the arrests of two females, one 17 and the other 18.

https://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID...&pub=1&div=News

Here, in the town I live in, it seems like teens calling in false bomb threats are beginning to become a school year prank.  We had three during the last school year.  I think they should really start tightening down on these teens that think this type of thing is just all fun and games.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Sep, 2003 - 10:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

more something prank School

I think it has always been a problem but the difference with today is that sometimes it's real so the pranks are a lot more alarming.

I was in the grocery store one evening and the intercom came on.  "Attention customers, please leave your carts where they are and immediately exit the building."  Some people were standing around, sort of staring like they didn't know what to do.  As I passed I said "If somebody tells me to get out of a building..I'm getting out of the building."  It was a prank, it costs the store money and us time, inconvenience and if my elderly mother had been in there alone she would have been confused.

That said I am not sure prison time (or fines their parents will pay) is the best way to teach young people the consequences of their action.  I think they should definitely be held accountable but I think there should some type of community service (genuine long-term service - not look good on paper service) for teenagers who really don't understand what they did wrong.   Maybe even something like serving youth camp on a working ranch where they have to care for an animal and learn responsibility.  Justy some thoughts

Post Date: 13th Sep, 2003 - 3:36pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

School prank or something more? History & Civil Business Politics

I agree, the judge should find something to make an example of these girls.  According to the news, they have just arrested a third teen.  I know that my 6 year old child had to stand outside for almost 3 hours with the other children while the officers swept through her school checking for a bomb (they had to check through all the county schools).  But the teacher sent a note home with all her students and said that the teachers were told to tell the children it was a fire drill to keep from creating a panic with the children.

The judge better come up with something more than just jail time.  But these teens called 911 and made false reports, which also makes it a felony.  So, either way, these teens are going to do some time in jail.  But I doubt it will teach them any lessons about what they did was wrong.  I think your idea about them doing some long community service sounds good.  They have this military school that the judge sometimes sends juveniles to instead of putting them in jail.  He choose that as a form of punishment too.

13th Sep, 2003 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

more something prank School

When I was in college in Argentina this used to happen quiet often, specially in times of final exams :smile.gif I used to hate it because the college building was so big and the police and firefighters had to spend all that time searching for a false bomb :smile.gif it made me really angry. People who call with those kind of things, should face prison for a while so they can realize is a serious crime.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

> TOPIC: School prank or something more?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,