Mormon Doctrine On Lilith: Real Or Myth

Mormon Doctrine Lilith Real Myth - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Oct, 2009 - 6:37pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 25th Oct, 2009 - 10:28pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Something that has bothered me is the story of Lilith, Adam's first wife. If this story is truth, then it contradicts the teachings of the book of Genesis or was simply left out, and if so, why? What proof is there that she really existed? What is the LDS church's stance on the topic? And if Lilith was a real person and the story is true, then why has the church tried to hide it and make it seem as if Eve was the only woman in Adam's life? undecided.gif Lilith being real or not won't shake my faith, but I would like some answers. Does anyone have any useful knowledge on the subject?

Sponsored Links:
25th Oct, 2009 - 10:58pm / Post ID: #

Myth Real Lilith Doctrine Mormon

The story of Lilith as the first wife of Adam is a myth that comes from the Middle Ages. The evidence are just medieval writings where they suggest that Adam was separated of Eve, then Lilith came along and bore to him "demons". There is no LDS stance on the matter because for obvious reasons, the story isn't doctrinal.

25th Oct, 2009 - 11:03pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Doctrine On Lilith: Real Or Myth Studies Doctrine Mormon

Hey paratrooper. I read something from Hugh Nibley about it last year, here it is:

international QUOTE
"According to the Hebrew tradition, which is very early and very widely testified, he [Adam] had a wife at this time, and she was Lilith. She represents promiscuity. She didn't like Adam. She did everything she could to keep him from entering into the covenant and marrying in the covenant. Eve wasn't around then. Her name means "night," Layla. Way back in the Alphabet of Rabbi Aqiba, a very early writing, we are told about her. She was his mate, but she stands for everything that is promiscuous. She doesn't want to get married, but she wants to play around; that's Lilith. Adam was living in an animal state of innocence. He had become as a little child. I guess he would be a pushover for Lilith. But she is a sinister character because she is irresponsible. She is married to him and she has children, but she doesn't want to be responsible for them, or anything like that. She is regarded as the woman who tries to do everything she can to prevent marriage, to prevent childbirth, and to kill babies in their cribs. That's Lilith. There are all sorts of early charms from Babylon and elsewhere against Lilith to keep her from her shenanigans. She's a rather important figure. She represents the sort of sexual license we have in the world today-the anything goes, just have fun" (Hugh Nibley, Ancient Documents and the Pearl of Great Price, edited by Robert Smith and Robert Smythe, p.13).

Sounds like a story/myth/tradition to me.

Post Date: 25th Oct, 2009 - 11:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Thank you SuzieSu. I knew about the hebrew tradition. But is that as far back as the trail of evidence leads? I've searched myself and can't really find anything.

26th Oct, 2009 - 12:20am / Post ID: #

international QUOTE (paratrooper @ 25-Oct 09, 10:28 PM)
Something that has bothered me is the story of Lilith, Adam's first wife. If this story is truth, then it contradicts the teachings of the book of Genesis or was simply left out, and if so, why?

Why would you give importance or be bothered about some medieval story of an evil woman over the account of Adam and Eve in the sacred book of Genesis? The Church doesn't believe in Lilith. Isn't that enough?

Post Date: 26th Oct, 2009 - 4:49am / Post ID: #

A Friend

OK, ChicaSUD, I don't know where anyone got the idea that the story of Lilith began in the middle ages. Some accounts date back to 700 BC and others back to 4000 BC. And everyone knows that the Bible has been altered many times, so the scriptures within are only so correct, how can I be sure the account wasn't simply omitted long, long ago. And I don't know that the church doesn't believe in Lilith, do you have some sort of factual evidence of this? I'm not saying the church does or doesn't. And, no, it is not enough. What about the story of Enoch? That was left completely out or taken out until Joseph Smith basically put it back. How do you explain that? Isn't that exactly the same as what I'm trying to say here? It wasn't enough for Joseph Smith, he retranslated the same book we are discussing and inserted omitted passages and reworded already accepted verses.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Oct, 2009 - 10:49pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Doctrine Lilith Real Myth

international QUOTE (paratrooper @ 26-Oct 09, 4:49 AM)
how can I be sure the account wasn't simply omitted long, long ago. And I don't know that the church doesn't believe in Lilith, do you have some sort of factual evidence of this? I'm not saying the church does or doesn't.

Did the Church officially ever make any mention of Lilith? As far as I know, they haven't so I'm not sure what are you trying to find out exactly? The story of Lilith is mainly in Judaism I never read or heard any past or present church leaders even acknowledging the myth of Lilith but maybe you did? If so, then post them and we can discuss them.

international QUOTE
What about the story of Enoch? That was left completely out or taken out until Joseph Smith basically put it back. How do you explain that?

I'm sorry but I think you're confused. The story of Enoch wasn't left completely out, not sure what you're trying to say?. Both Old and New Testament talk about Enoch. In Hebrews it makes mention of his "translation" so he couldn't see death because of his righteousness. Joseph Smith added more information as well.

Post Date: 27th Oct, 2009 - 6:37pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mormon Doctrine Lilith Real Myth Mormon Doctrine Studies

Well, that's what I was asking. Has the church ever said anything about it. I guess not. And the only thing the Bible says about Enoch is that he was the son of Jared, the father of Methuselah, walked with God and was translated. So, his whole story was left out, basically, just his name was mentioned, like a geneological pedigree. But in D&C and the Book of Moses it talks about how he was a preacher of righteousness and that his entire city was translated. This is just one instance of things being left out and added. And I use this to relate to Lilith possibly being left out or being a made-up myth by the Jews. I assume the general consensus is that the story of Lilith is false.

Reconcile Edited: paratrooper on 27th Oct, 2009 - 7:06pm

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mormon Doctrine On Lilith: Real Or Myth

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,