What If You're Wrong

What You' Re Wrong - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Mar, 2009 - 5:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
11th Feb, 2009 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

What If You're Wrong

I want to ask this question of the Mormons, what if you're wrong? A lot of the Mormons I see online seem very sure of what they believe and say, but suppose you are wrong, then what?

Sponsored Links:
16th Feb, 2009 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

Wrong Youre What

I am sure I am wrong in many things, but I can only rely on that that I believe that I have received from God. Is that not true of everyone, including you?

But I quote a statement by Joseph Smith to clarify this point

Reading the experience of others, or the revelation given to them, can never give us a comprehensive view of our condition and true relation to God. Knowledge of these things can only be obtained by experience through the ordinances of God set forth for that purpose. Could you gaze into heaven five minutes, you would know more than you would by reading all that ever was written on the subject."

Elder Holland a member of the twelve apostles stated:

Now note this statement: "Could you gaze into heaven five minutes, you would know more than you would by reading all that ever was written on the subject." I think our concern is to get personal revelation, to know for ourselves, independent of any other individual or set of individuals, what the mind and the will of the Lord is as pertaining to us in our individual concerns and to receive confirmation of his mind and will as pertaining to his church.

So there will be many things, I believe, that I cannot know until I experience them (much of which will not be known until I die and see it for myself). The Church puts much emphasis on trying to receive personal revelation and a knowledge of God through first hand experience, and this is primarily what I have relied on, with the scriptures as written by the Prophets to know that God is. We are expressly commanded to not just rely on what prophets and apostles have stated in the Scriptures and today, but to go directly to the source for a perfect understanding and confirmation of the word of God. I do not expect anyone else to believe or rely on the testimony that I have received, but I would ask that they go to God for revelation and knowledge of His will for them in their own lives

I know what I know, because I believe that God reveals all things to his children as fast as they are ready to receive that knowledge. I acknowledge that my mental capacity is limited in what it can receive from God, but I cannot deny the overwhelming evidences in my own life of him directing my path.

16th Feb, 2009 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

What If You're Wrong Studies Doctrine Mormon

QUOTE (Revival)
I want to ask this question of the Mormons, what if you're wrong?

My answer may be unusual for you, but it has deep significance for me even if not fully understood. If I am wrong then I will hope that I have done enough good in the world that I will have mercy poured upon my family and me. I think it is foolish for anyone to talk of surety in anything for which they have belief and not actual knowledge. For me, the best truth I know at this point comes from the same religion being Discussed, but I am also neutral enough to understand that truth is NOT limited to the LDS Church.

17th Feb, 2009 - 1:31am / Post ID: #

Wrong Youre What

I would have to agree with your JB. I find that much of the spiritual knowledge that has resonated with me, has been from religious leaders that are not part of my faith. I love to listen to John Haggee, though I do not agree with everything that he teaches,I can appreciate his unique views on Israel and the signs of the times.

I also love C.S. Lewis, both his fiction as well as his non fiction work.

I think that truth, if it is truth, is eternal regardless if it comes from my faith or that of others.

17th Feb, 2009 - 1:59am / Post ID: #

Wrong Youre What

QUOTE (JB)
I think it is foolish for anyone to talk of surety in anything for which they have belief and not actual knowledge

That's about the most open minded response I have ever seen from a Mormon online. You are certainly unique in your view. Most of the Mormons I encounter online are so sure of what they know they must have actually seen Jospeh Smith the gold plates and God himself. I do not mean that to be disrespectful.

17th Feb, 2009 - 2:16am / Post ID: #

What If You're Wrong

Revival,
I am a flawed individual, so I would ask your forgiveness. When I speak in absolutes its because of my personal experiences.

I try do do my best, but I sin.
I try to learn more, but I am hindered by my mental limitations.
Even when I say "I know" something, I am blinded by my own ideological history.

I have prepared myself mentally for the possibility that when I get to the other side, I will learn that most of what I know may not necessarily be completely accurate. But for the here and now I have decided to commit to a cause, and I have to stick with it, until something better comes along. For me, that something better, has not come yet.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Feb, 2009 - 12:15pm / Post ID: #

What You're Wrong

dbackers that took some manliness thanks. Nothing to be forgiven about. I really appreciate the replies here it gives me a different perspective on Mormonism.

Post Date: 16th Mar, 2009 - 5:27am / Post ID: #

What If You're Wrong
A Friend

What You're Wrong Mormon Doctrine Studies

I know this thread is a month old, and no one is probably looking at it anymore, but I have to respond...

Like JB and dbackers, I place an enormous amount of weight on the ideal of truth. One of the doctrines that Mormonism holds dear (I am LDS) is that "All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself..." (D&C 93:30)

Truth is truth, regardless of its source. The LDS church does not have a corner on truth, just as it does not have a corner on good people, or faith-based miracles. That said, however, I am very cautious about all claims of truth. I know of no religion that openly admits that its creeds are lies, but at the same time I am familiar with many religions who openly regard truth as "relative," which I find to be both ridiculous and dangerous.

The LDS church claims that its creeds are true, and take the blows head-on from those who say the such a claim is unfair or exclusive. At no time, however, has the LDS church claimed that ALL the creeds of all other faiths are false. I personally recognize that I have sought and received a testimony of the LDS Church from the only legitimate source on the subject-God. But that is a personal witness. It is mine, and no other's.

That is the miracle of the Restored Gospel, and of the teachings of the LDS church. Each man and woman is responsible to seek and discover the truth independently, which is how it should be. No one is compelled to accept the Church's doctrines as truth. Rather, anyone interested is presented with the Church's doctrines and encouraged to seek a witness of their truthfulness from God himself.

Now, to directly answer your question... If the LDS church were not true, I would consider that all religion is fabricated. I admit that I have a bias, but that bias is founded on a personal witness of the Church and its teachings. No other religion that I have studied fills all the holes, and joins a perfect union between science and religion-no other set of beliefs accounts for all stages of life; no other religion teaches or practices any kind of provision for universal salvation-for both the living and the dead. No other religion reveals a God that is everything a God should be-just, merciful, logical, capable of emotion, and above all, intelligible.

But even if it were a fraud, I'd still live it and love it. It has made me a more humane human, a more sincere friend, a more honest businessman, and a more selfless husband and father. I just have no cause to believe that it is, and so many causes to declare that it is true.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: What If You're Wrong

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,