Morality

Morality - Psychology, Special Needs, Health - Posted: 20th Feb, 2010 - 4:06am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

29th Dec, 2009 - 5:16am / Post ID: #

Morality

Before we get started I just want to say yes I am an American citizen so in general when I talk about people it's an American.
I'm just doing this to see what you all think- no I don't actually believe any of this.

So I had a thought today- that maybe the world would be better off without morality. I know, it's a pretty weird thought. Then no body would ever be doing the "right" thing. But that's just it, the right thing is always different depending on your perspective. So maybe disregarding morality wouldn't be such a bad thing.

My thought process is this: The basic instinct for humans is, in my opinion, to further themselves in life in any way possible (no I don't live by this opinion- otherwise I'd probably be a backstabber that no one would want to be friends with).
In today's world, we get the majority of people who were raised with the will to do the "right" thing. And they live life doing what they "should" be doing, aka, being decent. As an example- earning a living. The "right" way to do it would be to get a job and work for a living. The "wrong" way is (various) to go steal what you need and want.
So then the people living the "right" way feel cheated and get angry that someone else hasn't been playing by the "rules".

So what if no one expected anyone else to do the right thing. We would have one hell of a problem with security the way things are set up right now. No I'm not talking about terrorists and the like- they're already living by these rules (using whatever methods necessary to achieve their goals). I'm talking about the average citizen. If you expected someone to try and break into your vehicle while you were shopping, or working, you would require some sort of more advanced security system. And if it did happen, you would be less likely to be extremely angry and hurt. You knew something like this could happen, and it did. So it was your own fault for not protecting your possessions better. You can't blame the thief for not stealing it because he didn't want to follow the rules. He was doing what was best for him.

So you have a general sucky-ness of life. You're always worrying about you possessions, which means better security systems are developed, which makes you more comfortable, but still expecting it to happen- and if it does- well you did the best you could. All the same businesses like insurance and medicare would still exist. There would still be some order- because the doctors, and politicians, and police officers are helping themselves by helping other- just like current times. All this is, is the shedding of the outer "decentness" of people.

So I really don't believe this type of situation could happen currently, but what about if our same civilizations originated with this concept. What do you all think this civilization would operate like? would it be stuck in the stone age unable to progress because a lack of morality kept them from developing relationships that allowed them to address problems of life because they were each looking out for each other? Or would it progress to modern times by a sense of "if I don't do this we all die, but if I do it I live, and I can create a business to keep myself ahead. Would this concept make the strong stronger, and the weak weaker. Or would the playing field level because there is no difference in strong and weak, natural selection forces the species into being too similar to tell. No more bully picking on little kid because there are no consequences for fighting, even when you're defending yourself. So the bully has to be prepared to defend himself and the little kid would be prepared to do the same- instead of relying on the adults to do the right thing and keep him from getting beat up.

Or maybe this is all just a waste of time and none of you actually imagine a world like this, and I'm just really weird for starting a thread that wasted your time. Let me know, be interesting to hear your toughts.

Sponsored Links:
23rd Jan, 2010 - 1:16pm / Post ID: #

Morality

Man those are some interesting thoughts and reminded me of the movie The Road. I am not sure how the world could be without morality but seeing how it is NOW with few wanting to impose some sort of morality to others then I foresee see basically a bunch of savages.

20th Feb, 2010 - 4:06am / Post ID: #

Morality Health & Special Psychology

I generally equate ethics with morality, as one is more or less considered a spiritual or religious reference, the other a more psycho-social dynamic, and I prefer the latter definition.

Even in animals, there is a feature that could be seen to be similar to morality, as this same instinct for survival as noted above, is tempered by the fact that it is the survival not JUST of the individual, but of the herd or pack itself, whatever the animal and its grouping is called.

Species are instinctively driven to preserve themselves, as a collective, and this are able to work together, huddle for warmth, hunt in packs, watch others' babies, share food, etc. True, some of these things don't really hold, as fights break out, etc. But still, the underlying behavior is there, a basic animalistic understanding and respect for each others' space and "possessions". This is a society, a cohesive, functioning society, with its own laws and enforcement, which to me, can only be achieved with morals or ethics.

Without morals, as noted, whatever species it is, would fall into total anarchy and destroy itself, or scatter and eventually die off, unable to function for mutual survival. I don't think it is possible for living beings to NOT have morals, as a whole.

> TOPIC: Morality

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,