The Morning After - Wrong?

The Morning Wrong - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 31st Mar, 2005 - 6:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Best of  The Morning After,Wrong Plan B
29th Oct, 2002 - 8:14am / Post ID: #

This discussion is based on what your religion / beliefs say about this pill Used by Permission

international QUOTE
Lawsuit Supports Pro-Life Nurse's Conscience on Disepensing Drugs  Baton Rouge, LA

-- A nurse employed by the state of Louisiana has been threatened with job termination for refusing to dispense drugs she believes cause abortions beause of her religious convictions. As a result, a leading pro-life legal firm has come to her defense.  "The state must accommodate the sincerely held religious beliefs of our client," Stuart J. Roth, senior counsel for the Virginia-based America Center for Law and Justice, said regarding Cynthia Day of Marrero, La. 

This week, the ACLJ filed formal complaints on behalf of Day with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Louisiana Commission of Human Rights. The ACLJ is a public interest law firm that specializes in representing people discriminated against because of their religious and  pro-life beliefs. 

The complaints charge that Day's employer of nearly a decade - the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals - is discriminating against her because her religious beliefs preclude her from distributing so-called emergency contraceptives, also known as "Morning-after" pills. 

"Our client just wants to do her job without violating her religious beliefs," Roth said. "Instead of accommodating the employee, health department officials have decided to criticize her and threaten her with job termination. 

"We will do whatever it takes to protect the conscience rights of our client," he added. 

Day repeatedly told her supervisors she could not dispense pills that cause abortions to patients, according to the complaints filed by ACLJ. She says she believes human life begins at fertilization, is sacred and must not be harmed in any way.  Roth, in a telephone interview yesterday, said Louisiana health officials sent Day a threatening letter about the conflict on Sept. 9. 

"They told her to respond in five days or seek other employment," he said. "They also said then that reassignment is not an option."  He said after the Louisiana health department learned Day would not distribute morning-after pills, "She got put in a job where she saw more women who were likely to want" those medications, making it more likely she would have to distribute the drugs, Roth added. 

Bob Johannessen, spokesman for the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, said yesterday he knows nothing about Day's reported job transfer. 

"She has not been terminated, nor has she been disciplined. We'd like to find a way to accommodate her but with the nursing shortage, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to accommodate her," said Johannessen in regard to her wishes not to distribute the drugs. 

Day is a public health nurse, he emphasized, who works in a state-run clinic in New Orleans. "The clinic where she works provides family planning services four out of five days a week," he said, and only in the past year has the clinic started making morning-after pills available. 

Johannessen noted that never in Day's tenure did she object to dispensing regular contraceptives. 

Though the clinic "Would like to resolve this," Johannessen said there are currently no openings for nursing jobs in which Day would not have to dispense the type of morning-after medication she opposes.  While insisting Day has not been disciplined for her failure to dispense the drugs, Johannessen said she was sent a "Disciplinary letter" on Oct. 22. He did not elaborate. 

Roth said the letter called for a "Five-day suspension without pay." 

He stressed that the complaints to the EEOC and the Louisiana Human Rights Commission are not the only actions the ACLJ is contemplating on Day's behalf. He said the group also is seriously considering filing a lawsuit in federal court. 

In the end, Roth says he is optimistic about getting relief for Ms. Day. 

He points to a case the ACLJ won in Riverside County, Calif., involving another nurse who refused to dispense morning-after pills and was fired. A federal jury that heard that case found that the county had violated the former nurse's First Amendment rights of free speech and religion. It awarded damages totaling $100,000.

The Morning After - Wrong? (Hover)

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Jul, 2003 - 12:30am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Wrong - Morning The

I think that the Morning After Pill is wrong.  It makes me angry that women think that abortion is a form of birth control.  I don't blame this woman for not wanting to distribute the pill on her religions beliefs either.  If she feels it is wrong, she shouldn't be forced to do it.  I know I've said it before and I'll probably keep saying it too.  It appears to me that the medical field is losing their morals somewhere and their morals are going right down the :ch

14th Jul, 2003 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

The Morning After - Wrong? Beliefs Religious General

I think the Morning After pill is terrible!!!! it's like a direct way to tell people 'go and have sex and oh by the way, if you have unprotect sex get this pill' :smile.gif

Post Date: 7th Aug, 2003 - 2:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Wrong - Morning The

The Morning After Pill is definately an indicator of our social decline...

The issue of morality used to be "teach abstinance" wich is still upheld by the LDS church at the very least, then there was the whole "Safe Sex" era, where people basically gave up on trying to get unmarried couples from having sex because "they were going to do it anyways", thus the age of the condom was born... More and more meathods have been come up with, right up to and including the "depo shot" a woman gets one of these every 3 months and does not have to be on the "pill" or worry about pregnancy ...

Of course none of these "safe sex" methods is a sure fire method to prevent either pregnancy or STD's... the only real solution for this societal ill is abstenance outside of marriage.

And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also

If Heavenly father would kill a man for spilling his "seed" on the ground to prevent pregnancy, how much more wrong would any method of birth control be, save abstinance?

When is murder murder - An Adult? An Adolscent? A Child? A Baby? A Fetus? A Zygote? Cellular Conception?

I was wonce pondering this and it is written that God is "The Lord of Lights", medical science has proven that at the exact moment of conception there is a spark of light created by the combining of the cells...

In my opinion... If you want to be sure you won't get pregnant or make her pregnant... Don't have Sex.

Just my thoughts...

Post Date: 9th Aug, 2003 - 12:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Wrong - Morning The

This article is confusing - it is difficult to determine whether the pills being distributed are the "morning after pill" which is a given as a preventative measure  to rape victims - or the newer "abortion" pill.   I'm not sure I understand opposition to the former...this has been a medical option for many years.  It doesn't cause an abortion if a ferilization hasn't occurred yet

Post Date: 9th Aug, 2003 - 1:44pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Unfortunately the Morning after pill is available from the planned pregnancy organizations here in BC, to any woman that comes in worried about being pregnant.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Jan, 2005 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

The Morning - Wrong

It looks like soon this will be an off the counter drug if the FDA gives approval. I do not think the Church I belong to has made any specific statement about it, but I am sure it would fall into the realm of being a bad choice to make. I am not sure if it can be considered an abortion.

Post Date: 31st Mar, 2005 - 6:18am / Post ID: #

A Friend

The Morning - Wrong General Religious Beliefs

I think that the 'abortion pill' and the 'morning after pill' are being confused. The morning after pill is not designed to abort a beginning stage pregnancy, it is designed to stop the initial fertilization of the egg. The idea is that the sperm takes up to twelve hours to fertilize an egg, and in some cases longer. If you stop the fertilization from occurring, then you are doing nothing different from wearing a condom or taking birth control. If the scripture listed is reason to not stop a pregnancy, then surely birth control and condoms violate the same laws of God. If the pull out method is a sin, as the scripture sighted implies, then you have to considered that other methods of preventing fertilization are also wrong. I don't on the former or the latter and find nothing wrong with the morning after pill. The abortion pill is wrong because it will kill an already fertilized egg.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Morning After - Wrong?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,