Tornado - Tornadoes

Tornado Tornadoes - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 2nd Mar, 2012 - 2:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
5th May, 2003 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Tornado - Tornadoes

Tornadoes In The USA

It is amazing how many tornadoes rip through the US each year. Have you ever had to encounter one? What was it like? I think these things remind us that with all our earthly power there is something bigger in control. Any country has control of the weather yet?

international QUOTE
From ABC News:

I landed at the Cedar Rapids, Iowa airport once, and the pilot said we would have to walk down the stairs of the plane, because the power was out at the airport.  When we got in the terminal, it was pandemonium.  All the lights were out, and people were running for the exits.  It turned out that there was a tornado warning for the airport itself.  I met up with my camera crew, who asked what I wanted to do, take shelter, or head out. Now I grew up in Southern California.  Earthquakes, I know what to do. Tornadoes?  I had no idea.  We headed out and ran into a huge hailstorm, just like in the movie.  We ended up taking refuge under the awning at a nearby hotel.  It was pretty scary, and the tornado never materialized.

So looking at the footage from yesterday and last night of the storms that did hit, and the massive damage that they caused, I can't imagine what that must have been like for the people in those areas.  Houses, buildings, whole towns, are nothing more than piles of wood and debris now.  The death toll is high and climbing as rescue workers move into the areas.  Now it's easy to say that tornadoes are just part of life in that part of the country, just like hurricanes in the Southeast, but that doesn't lessen the human and property toll.  Scientists continue to work towards better, and faster, ways to predict and track the storms in the hope that earlier warnings will lessen the human cost.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3208 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 30th Jun, 2003 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

Tornado - Tornadoes
A Friend

Tornadoes Tornado

I have never encountered a tornado, thank goodness.  But I do live in an area that has many every year.  I remember once, when my oldest daughter was just a baby.  I was living in a trailer park at that time.  We were inside my house trailer and I saw the storm clouds rolling in.  I was getting ready to leave for work and just before I got my daughter ready, was when the storm broke.  Then it's like the rain somewhat stopped, just as quick as it started.  Next thing I know, the trailer starts to violently shake and shudder.  I just scooped my daughter up and ran out the door.  It wasn't a tornado, but a funnel cloud blowing over the area where my trailer and several other trailers were at.  That is the scariest thing to go through.  

Everytime we have storms predicted, everyone gets ready for tornados as well.  They pop-up and touch down so quickly, there's not much time to prepare or go somewhere safe.  You know when you see the people interviewed on the news about what tornados sound like?  They say that it sounds like a freight train rolling on the railroad tracks.  It does sound like a train, it is a very eerie sound.  Especially at night, which makes it difficult to see the tornado.  We have had several funnel clouds blow through the neighborhood where I live now.  They have literally snapped trees in half and spreading the debris of the trees several miles down the road.  It blew shingles off of the roof of the house next to mine and twisted and mangled a child's swingset in another neighbor's yard.

They are constantly trying to improve on advanced warnings and adding more tornado sirens to the areas that do not have any.  But with our main weather warning center in Memphis, Tennessee, only giving warnings when they see rotation in their radar.  Which makes it difficult for the local weather stations to give out warnings, because they have to go through Memphis first.  We have had tornados come through some of the other towns in the area and they didn't have a tornado warning.  Tornados are unpredictable, violently destructive, and at times deadly.  With all the technology that we have in the world today, it couldn't hurt for them to find more and better ways to predict tornados.  To give people more of an advanced warning.  I think right now, the warning time is under 10 minutes.  That time frame seems like alot, but it's really not.  Plus, tornados do not always travel in the direction that is estimated.  It would save lives if they could just devise a better way to warn people.

Post Date: 4th Feb, 2006 - 1:44pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Tornado - Tornadoes History & Civil Business Politics

NEW SYSTEM FOR CALCULATING A TORNADO'S STRENGTH

The government is changing how it categorizes tornadoes after finding that it doesn't take 300 mph winds to disintegrate homes and turn cars into missiles -- a 200 mph twister can do just as much damage.
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2006/WEATHER/02/02/torn...g.ap/index.html

4th Feb, 2006 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Tornadoes Tornado

I suppose it would be nice to know if any tornado is coming through my area, regardless of speed. I would probably take the same action for a small tornado vs a large one; getting myself and my family in the basement until it passes through.

International Level: Envoy / Political Participation: 241 ActivistPoliticianEnvoy 24.1%

Post Date: 5th Feb, 2006 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Tornado - Tornadoes
A Friend

Tornadoes Tornado

I don't see the relevance of the speed or side of the tornado. Any size tornado can kill me, so size doesn't matter in this case. In the case of a tornado, I get under the stairs, pull the couch in front, and the cushions over top. I don't have a basement unfortunately. I'm not sure how safe it is, but its better than nothing I suppose. We also do not have a tub downstairs or that would be a better choice.

Post Date: 6th Feb, 2008 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Tornado - Tornadoes

Three States Hit

ATKINS, Ark. - Authorities went door-to-door early Wednesday searching for more victims of deadly tornadoes that ripped the roof off a shopping mall, pummeled mobile homes and blew apart warehouses as they tore across four states. The victims included 24 people in Tennessee, 13 in Arkansas, and seven in Kentucky, emergency officials said.
Ref. USAToday

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Jan, 2012 - 2:32pm / Post ID: #

Tornado Tornadoes

At least two people have died in severe weather near Birmingham, Alabama, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office said.

Storms tore across the Southeast early Monday, spreading damage through at least two states, emergency officials said.

In Alabama, damage was reported near Birmingham and Tuscaloosa -- which was devastated by an EF-5 tornado in April -- as well as south of Birmingham, officials said.

"There has been heavy damage in areas north of Tuscaloosa" from a possible tornado, David Hartin with Tuscaloosa Emergency Management said. "There are reports of a roof torn off of a home, several trees down, and lots of power outages."

A tornado watch remained in effect for much of central Alabama until 10 a.m. (11 a.m. ET).

In Arkansas, at least one person was hurt when a possible tornado touched down on the northern edge of Fordyce, in south-central Arkansas. Five or six homes were destroyed, and ano ther 10 or 11 were moderately to severely damaged, said Jim Johnson of the Dallas County, Arkansas, emergency management office. "I've seen enough of these -- I'm sure it was a tornado," Johnson said. Ref. CNN

Post Date: 2nd Mar, 2012 - 2:49pm / Post ID: #

Tornado Tornadoes Politics Business Civil & History

The tornado that hit Harrisburg, Illinois, leaving six dead, was preliminarily rated an EF4 -- the second most powerful on the rating scale -- according to the National Weather Service.

The powerful storm system left destruction and death in its wake as it pushed through the Midwest on Wednesday, leaving at least nine people dead and more than 100 injured, authorities said. Ref. CNN

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Tornado - Tornadoes

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,