Vietnam War

Vietnam War - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Mar, 2006 - 1:49am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Best of  Vietnam War
19th Apr, 2003 - 2:01am / Post ID: #

Vietnam War

In the 1950's, the United States began to send troops to Vietnam, during the following 25-year period, the ensuing war would create some of the strongest tensions in US  history. Almost 3 million US men and women were sent thousands of miles to fight for what was a questionable cause. In total, it is estimated that over 2,5 million people on both sides were killed.
What do you think about this war? What are the real facts behind it?.

Vietnam War
Vietnam War (Hover)

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
19th Apr, 2003 - 2:40am / Post ID: #

War Vietnam

From those who have toured there I have heard nothing but negatives about it, not only in the lives that were lost, but on the political overhaul that influenced battle strategies. It was one of the few wars lost by the US. A dark time in their history.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3211 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 19th Apr, 2003 - 10:55am / Post ID: #

Vietnam War
A Friend

Vietnam War History & Civil Business Politics

And you will get nothing but negatives from me, either.
Of all the engagements we've ever been in, this was the most stupid, most ill-conceived and worst run in our history.
This one made you want to start another Revolution, hang all your politicians for treason and start over.

Post Date: 23rd Dec, 2004 - 7:05pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

War Vietnam

"I sat there in agony thinking about all that had led me to this private hell. My idealism, my patriotism, my ambition, my plans to be a good intelligence officer to help my country fight the communist scourge - what in the hell had happened? Why did we have to bomb the people we were trying to save? Why were we napalming young children? Why did the CIA, my employer for 16 years, report lies instead of the truth?

"I hated my part in the charade of murder and horror. My efforts were contributing to the deaths, to the burning alive of children - especially the children. The photographs of young Vietnamese children burned by napalm destroyed me."
-- Ralph McGehee former CIA intelligence analyst

5th Jan, 2005 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

War Vietnam

This was another war in keeping with the Truman Doctrine. While my studies of the war have shown me that this was another error in just attempting containment of Communism. We can always argue about the Korean War and Vietnam and how they were inappropriately entered into and managed. I hope that history (long after my death) shows that the Korean War and Vietnam were important, not by themselves, but together along with several other wars and conflicts that held Communism at bay.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

6th Jan, 2005 - 12:50pm / Post ID: #

Vietnam War

Well, I think the Vietnam war was a mistake. I don't think we belonged there. However, let's not forget the US wasn't the only nation that made this mistake. We went in after France decided to pull out. That doesn't make us any less wrong, but we need to remember that we were not alone in such error.

To me, one of the biggest problems was we didn't allow our military to do thier job. We couldn't really go on the offensive. I fear that this is beginning to happen in Iraq as well. If we learned anything in Vietnam, it ought to be that you either fight with all your might until the end, or get out.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 23rd Aug, 2005 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Vietnam War
A Friend

Vietnam War

I was a strong opponent of the Vietnam war at the time it was happening. In fact, I thought the other side should win. When I graduated from University in 1967, I was drafted [conscripted] and trained as a combat infantryman. During my training I continued to agitate against the war. I put out a newsletter (GI VOICE), and gave a speech against the war, in uniform.

On the way to Vietnam I deserted, and remained hiding from the feds for a year and a half. I then turned myself in and was tried for being AWOL [Absent Without Official Leave], and given the maximum sentence, six months at hard labor and two thirds reduction in pay.

After serving my sentence, I was, after a few more months, kicked out of the Army. I am forbidden to re-enlist.

In the years that followed, I slowly changed my way of thinking. I read a lot more about Vietnam, including how terrible the rule of the Communists was, and is.

I do not know if the US could have won that war, had it followed a different strategy, and had the American public been willing to sustain the cost in blood and treasure required.

But I wish that we had. We won in Korea -- or fought them to a draw -- and as a result the Korean people in the free part of Korea now live in peace, democracy and prosperity. The people in North Korea are starving and live as virtual slaves.

We were losing 500 men a month in Vietnam. In Iraq our losses are a tiny fraction of this. I hope we have the national will to stay the course in Iraq, and only leave when a democratic government is firmly established there, or when it has been shown that the Iraqis are unable or unwilling to support one.

Doug

Post Date: 8th Mar, 2006 - 1:49am / Post ID: #

Vietnam War
A Friend

Vietnam War Politics Business Civil & History

In my opinion:

The Vietnam War was unwinnable. In Vietnam it is known as the 10,000 day war (about 27 years). First they defeated the Japanese then the French then the US. I don't believe it was about communism either, the US had a chance to recognize Ho Chi Min in the late 1940's. Instead we sided with the colonial interests of the French. Leaving Ho Chi Min no choice but to turn to the Soviet Block. We dropped more bombs on Vietnam than all the warring sides used during WWII. I guess we could have won if we killed every living soul and paved over the entire country. It is often said that Might Makes Right. The reverse is also true Right Makes Might.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Vietnam War

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,