Principal vs. Survival

Principal Vs Survival - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 8th Jan, 2007 - 2:29pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Do values and standards count in life situations
17th Nov, 2003 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

Principal vs. Survival

Principle vs. Survival

The scenario: The commercial flight you are on crashed near a tropical island. The only persons to survive are you and another person of the opposite sex. The person is either beautiful/handsome, single and great company. The island is uninhabited except for a few wild animals.

Think about the following questions carefully and then say if you would do it or not for survival.

1. You do not believe in drinking, but the only drinkable source is 5 cases of beer that drifted ashore.

2. You are on the island for about a year now and it seems no one is going to find you and the person seems more 'tempting', but you always believed in marriage first.

3. You are a vegetarian but get weaker, the only way to stay health would be to kill an animal and eat it.

4. You are married, during the night it gets clothes, the person suggests to hug together at night to stay warm.

5. You must say your prayers at a certain time, but do not know what time it is or waht day it is.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Sponsored Links:
17th Nov, 2003 - 2:33pm / Post ID: #

Survival vs Principal

1.  I would drink the beer without hesitation if it were the only way to survive.  Even if I believe it goes against my religion, the reason it does go against my religion has to do with drinking too much and the adverse behaviour effects, or so I believe.  So, I would drink it in moderation to make it last and to help stave off some of the adverse behavior.  I believe it wouldn't be counted as a sin against me under these circumstances, but if it were, then I believe I would be easily forgiven as well, under the circumstances.

2.  I am not sure what I would do.  This is a difficult situation.  Maybe I would decide we could take vows ourselves before God to make it a marriage in his eyes.  This may not make it a civil union legally, but my religious beliefs are really separate from the civil law anyway.  However, since none of us would hold priesthood, this leaves some question.  So, I can't say for sure.

3.  I am not a vegetarian so I can't really answer this except to say see my answer to #1.  If I were a vegetarian, I still think I would do whatever I could to preserve my life.

4.  I would definately hug together for warmth if necessary.  Even being married, after a year on the island with someone other than our spouse working together for survival we are going to probably have problems staying faithful, so I don't think this is really as big an issue as it seems.  Although it might help fuel the flames.

5.  I think I would make an effort to say them in a somewhat routine and regular manner and not worry if it wasn't exactly that time.  I believe in forgiveness.  In addition, I believe under this situation, I wouldn't even be accountable.

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

19th Nov, 2003 - 12:21am / Post ID: #

Principal vs. Survival History & Civil Business Politics

laugh.gif@JB you're something else you and your posts laugh.gif

1. You do not believe in drinking, but the only drinkable source is 5 cases of beer that drifted ashore

I will drink it of course to preserve my life, no doubt about it.

2. You are on the island for about a year now and it seems no one is going to find you and the person seems more 'tempting', but you always believed in marriage first.

I like the idea of Tena maybe I would suggested to perform a ceremony or something like that but this question is tough...really I don't know what I would do....hmmmm.... I suppose it depends if you're refering to someone who have 'experienced' life in that sense or somebody who has not. If I have not then I don't see the problem of waiting to see if I would be rescue or pray for strenght

3. You are a vegetarian but get weaker, the only way to stay health would be to kill an animal and eat it.

I'm a vegetarian and I may eat the animal but I will not kill it, I would ask the other guy to do it and I will only do it if I'm dying.

4. You are married, during the night it gets clothes, the person suggests to hug together at night to stay warm

I don't see a big issue on this. I would hug together to stay warm. After all, who wants to sleep and feel your feet cold all the time ? laugh.gif

. You must say your prayers at a certain time, but do not know what time it is or waht day it is.

Well I would be smart enough as soon as I reach the island I would make my own calendar to count at least how many days we have been there But I would pray constantly for strenght, guidance and help for rescue of course, in situations like that our minds and souls should be closer to Heavenly Father more than ever.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

26th Nov, 2003 - 3:38pm / Post ID: #

Survival vs Principal

I replied to this before, but the post seems to have disappeared... so here it is again, but probably briefer.

1. You do not believe in drinking, but the only drinkable source is 5 cases of beer that drifted ashore.

This isn't "drinking" -- this is survival. Life and Death, I would drink the beer.

I've gone a lot longer than one year!

It's a Life and Death issue. I've skinned animals before; it's weird, but you do what you have to, to survive.

4. You are married, during the night it gets clothes, the person suggests to hug together at night to stay warm.

No problem -- if it's cold. But didn't you say "tropical island"? How cold is that going to get? LOL

5. You must say your prayers at a certain time, but do not know what time it is or waht day it is.

Like LDS_Forever said, one of the first things you do is make a calendar or something to keep track of the days. And the sun rises and sets in a familiar pattern, which shouldn't be too hard to track.

On top of everything, the Lord knows the intent of our hearts.

IMO
Roz

International Level: Ambassador / Political Participation: 595 ActivistPoliticianAmbassador 59.5%

1st Jan, 2004 - 3:17am / Post ID: #

Survival vs Principal

1. I'll drink it, if it's the only drinkable fluid I find around.
2. It's not a matter of survival, unless you will be kept on the island for a long time in which case you will want to have kids, but you won't keep that long anyways with 5 bottles of beer.
3. I'll eat the meat, if it's necessary.
4. Hugging is no problem. It doesn't break any promise you made during your marriage. Surely, though, it will feel awkward, and how much can hugging warm you?
5. Yes, keep a calender for sure, if you know what months have 30 days and which have 31 laugh.gif Also, perhaps a sandial?

International Level: Activist / Political Participation: 29 ActivistPoliticianActivist 2.9%

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2005 - 3:06am / Post ID: #

Principal vs. Survival
A Friend

Principal vs. Survival

How interesting. What a test of morals and willpower. Yikes! Ok, here goes.

Think about the following questions carefully and then say if you would do it or not for survival.

Like everyone else said, I would definitely do it for survival, and I would thank the Lord for providing something consumable to drink.

I don't think I would try to perform some type of ceremonial vows. There are people who go their whole lives without marriage and don't give in to temptation. I would try to hold myself to that standard. If the temptation was getting too strong, I could try to find other 'substitutes', if the temptations were physical, even though that would be my very last resort and also something I would probably not do. If the reasons were emotional, mental, or spiritual, I feel that I could go ahead and form a strong bond in those areas without needing the vows of marriage.

I am not a vegetarian, but if I were I would have to relent and eat it in order to survive. But I know I would have a problem killing it. Like LDS, I would ask the man if he would do it, but if there were no other option, and my life was at stake, I would pray and try to summon the strength to do it.

Of course, I would hug and/or cuddle. It is a known fact that this is a survival skill to use when conditions are cold and at least one other person is with you. I would feel no guilt about doing this at all. My ease is probably due to being a 'huggy' person already.

This seems rather strange to me. It would depend on what the consequences were of breaking this rule, but if I didn't know and these were the conditions I had to live by, I would attempt the same as the others to try to keep track of time and pray that my Heavenly Father would prompt me to know when I was able to pray.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Jan, 2007 - 2:29pm / Post ID: #

Principal vs. Survival

1-3:

Companionship is one of the necessities of life but the love for the person you married is still there and can carry a desperate soul through the darkest of places and toughest trials. Ask any war vet you know. If ye be God fearing you have a two awesome sources for great inner strength to ride through that temptation. So I would say I would persevere and try not to allow the tempting thoughts to enter my mind.

3:
Not being a vegetarian it is hard to answer...I think though ones survival instincts would activate and allow them to eat the meat! Me I would eat the meat or any vegetation I could find that is safe to digest.

4:
Till shelter can be made sharing body heat makes sense and breaks no vows. I say the closer the better.

5:
If your god demands such a thing I would think that any effort to get reasonably close to the appointed time would be accepted. Besides One can tell by moon and sun with in reason what time it is. (ball park) The conscious effort I think would make up for any time error. And ask the god to push me to prayer at the anointed time.

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Please learn how to use the quote tags. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

> TOPIC: Principal vs. Survival

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,