Special Needs Profile Info

Special Profile Info - Community News, FAQ, Feedback - Posted: 19th Dec, 2009 - 6:14pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

New option in Profile
18th Dec, 2009 - 7:03pm / Post ID: #

LDS_forever gave me a great idea that I should have implemented long ago. Basically, some people join with special needs. Their special needs may either impede, enhance or make communication unusual / difficult, therefore before Persephone goes after them, knowing their special needs will help us to better find ways for these Members to adjust to the Community.

Now Members do not usually join saying I have 'x' special needs on their own so now the Registration / Profile options has a drop down menu with a field for Members to OPTIONALLY choose if they wish to reveal their special needs to Admin ONLY. Only Admin will see this. As the father of special needs children I understand how adjusting can be difficult so hopefully will help.

Below is a list of options thus far. If you think there is something that would affect communication in this Community that needs to be added please let me know.

0. None or Do not want to say
1. ADD
2. ADHD
3. Asperger Syndrome
4. Autism
5. Autism-PDDNOS
6. Down syndrome
7. Dyslexia
8. Alzheimer's Disease
9. Anxiety Disorder
10. Bipolar Disorder
11. Clinical Depression
12. Dyscalculia
13. Memory Loss
14. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
15. Schizophrenia
16. Visual Impairment
17. Hearing Impairment
18. Mobility Impairment
19. Parkinson's Disease
20. Traumatic Brain Injury
21. Cancer
22. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
23. HIV AIDS
24. Substance Abuse / Addictions
25. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 18th Dec, 2009 - 7:14pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Info Profile Special

I think this is a good idea JB. You should reward LDS_Forever with a nice dinner out. smile.gif Yes sometimes having the Admins knowing of a special need can better interact and help someone who is part of the community.

18th Dec, 2009 - 8:08pm / Post ID: #

Special Needs Profile Info Feedback & FAQ News Community

That seems like a good idea, and make sure to explain the reasoning and importance of truthfully selecting that option, since especially some people are cognizant of their special needs which can interfere with communication.

18th Dec, 2009 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

Info Profile Special

In the description of this field I have the following text:

international QUOTE
Special Needs

If you have a special need (diagnosed). Reason: if members communicate in a certain way that appears unusual. This helps us to guage if there is anything we should be aware of upfront to assist you in adjusting to the Community. Only Admin sees this.

Hopefully, this gives the reason and courage to list it knowing that only Admin will see the field.

19th Dec, 2009 - 5:25pm / Post ID: #

Info Profile Special

How come we can't see it too? If we're going to be the ones like most posting with the members then wouldn't it be like important to know as well.

Post Date: 19th Dec, 2009 - 5:33pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

No, I think it is better for Admins only. We as the general public do not really need to know what a persons issues are unless they are willing to share that info them selves. Being polite and listening to people you usually can learn a lot about them without them telling you everything.

Reconcile Edited: KNtoran on 19th Dec, 2009 - 5:34pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Dec, 2009 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Special Profile Info

Yeah that's true I guess a person's privacy is important so best left for need to know like admin.

19th Dec, 2009 - 6:14pm / Post ID: #

Special Profile Info Community News FAQ & Feedback

What KNtoran said is correct. If they wish to disclose any personal issues then they can do so via their Intro Thread or Blog 9if they open one here). The reason for this is mainly for us to know why certain Members may communicate they way they do. As an example I once had a Member join who was dyslexic. His posts did not make much sense sometimes, had I known that he was dyslexic it would have saved us a lot of moderation time.

> TOPIC: Special Needs Profile Info

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,