Why am I Fat?

Why Fat - Movies, Music, Fashion, Sports - Posted: 31st Dec, 2004 - 2:25pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
You might not believe the reason some people give.
17th Jul, 2003 - 8:27pm / Post ID: #

Why am I Fat?

Why am I FAT?

Once again ABC News hits the top of my chart for putting things in perspective. Its funny how the US citizens want to sue someone for making them fat :smile.gif

international QUOTE
It sounds laughable. Suing fast food restaurants and food manufacturers for making American kids overweight. No one forced them to eat all of those potato chips, right? But remember how silly those cigarette lawsuits sounded at first? The first several of those lawsuits failed, but eventually, they caught on. And the tobacco industry has never been the same. Now, the food manufacturers and fast food restaurants are wondering if they're next.

Grocery shopping with my five year old is an excruciating experience. There is the meltdown on aisle two because I won't buy him the "Incredible Hulk" cookies. And then there's the tantrum on aisle four when I won't buy him the "Spiderman" potato chips. And finally, I cave on aisle six when he says he can't live without the "SpongeBob" Popsicles.

The marketing is brilliant and it works. Parents today must have the will, the time, the energy to fight these fights (Or, better yet, find a way to go grocery shopping alone). Reinforced by television commercials, movie tie-ins at fast food chains, and even food promotions in books, kids today are hungry consumers.

Is this partially to blame for America's childhood obesity epidemic?

Clearly there are some lawyers who think there might be some traction here. And even though a series of obesity-related lawsuits against US food companies have failed, they are already having an impact.

Kraft Foods, one of the biggest food companies (Makers of Oreo cookies, for example) has said it will limit portion sizes, cut sugar and certain fat in products. PepsiCo, the parent company of Frito Lay (And maker of Doritos, for example) has said the same. But will any of this change the obesity problem in children? Will it hurt business? Certainly if the new Oreos and the Doritos don't taste as good, it could.

And fast food restaurants are also feeling the heat. McDonald's now sells salads. And I recently noticed that Baja Fresh, a Mexican food chain, has added new low-fat menu items, with fat gram content posted on the wall-menu.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 17th Jul, 2003 - 10:26pm / Post ID: #

Why am I Fat?
A Friend

Fat I Why

That is almost too ridiculous that I caught myself laughing.  Not at the fact that kids and people are overweight, but that people are always looking for someone to blame their problems on.  In today's society it appears that many people live by the 'it's not my fault' line.  Which is completely absurd.  Oh yes, I can see the fast food resturants 'forcing' these people to take their kids there to eat.  My kids like to eat out at fast food resturants too, but it is very rare when they get to go.  Of course the food tastes good, but just because it tastes good, doesn't mean that it's always good for you.  Plus, a little common sense plays a key role in this.  

Yes, there are some overweight people, but some are like that because of something with their metabolism is off or it's glandular.  I have a friend that is very overweight, but he doesn't eat alot, his metabolism doesn't burn off the calories like it should.  

And it also appears to me that these attorneys that represent these people are just looking at the publicity and the money.  They don't care who you want to sue, just as long as the attorney can see some kind of case in, he'll take it.  It also appears that the bigger the company, the more the attorneys want to take the case.  Even if it's over something silly.

18th Jul, 2003 - 2:42pm / Post ID: #

Why am I Fat? Sports & Fashion Music Movies

I agree with you Mss. It is ridiculous!!!!. Listen, and I always remember the words of Dr. Phil from Oprah, 'you don't get up one morning and say oh, I'm 70 pounds overweight'. :smile.gif Not to mention, that every person has the right to buy or reject a product. I mean, nobody put a gun on their heads and say 'Go and buy a Big Mac to your kid for the next 3 months', you know what I mean?.
Parents are the only one responsable for the foods their children eat, now I'm not excusing the manufactures, what I am saying is we know these companies are there just to make money, they're not concern about our health...why even bother to sue them when we were the ones who choose buying their products in the first place?.

21st Jul, 2003 - 2:57am / Post ID: #

Fat I Why

Eatting like any other habit has to be nurtured into a pattern, we have to eat, but we have choice over what we eat. The fast lifestyle that most of us live makes it impossible to have a really good healthy meal, but you can look for healthy stuff even in the most unusual circumstances. An example of this is Mc Donalds... buy a salad, a burger without the cheese and all the dressings maybe? Instead of a softdrink try water. This will not be bad, but the value meals can kill! not to mention the 'upsize'.

18th Sep, 2003 - 2:13am / Post ID: #

Fat I Why

Are you a vending machine addict? Do you eat life threatening popcorn and killer chocolates?

international QUOTE (CNN)
WAR ON VENDING MACHINES
The group behind controversial health warnings about fettuccine Alfredo and movie popcorn is taking aim at vending machines in schools. The
Washington-based Center for Science in the Public Interest, which has released reports on the nutritional horrors of some popular foods, said that school officials should offer alternatives to cookies, candy and sodas in vending machines. "Just about every chronic illness that you can think of [is] linked to obesity," CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta told anchor Bill Hemmer. "And I think what's frightening a lot of people is that epidemic [is] starting younger and younger."

spock.gif They may be bad for you but they make those things look so good and ready to eat!

Post Date: 19th Sep, 2003 - 10:59am / Post ID: #

Why am I Fat?
A Friend

Why am I Fat?

Yea, that stuff does look soooo good and oh so bad.  Shady unfortunately likes getting stuff out of the vending machines at work.  I keep telling him to take his own lunch, but of course he just thinks I'm being silly.

I did find this on MSNBC.com, going back to the point you made about McDonald's, JB.

international QUOTE
Healthier adult Happy Meals coming

Part of McDonald's effort to offer lower-fat fast foods

McDonald's Corp. Has enlisted the aid of Oprah Winfrey's personal trainer to promote an adult version of the Happy Meal, the fast-food giant's latest effort to offer healthier products.

Source

I wonder how well and how long their healthier food products will last?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
20th Sep, 2003 - 12:17am / Post ID: #

Why I Fat

international QUOTE
I wonder how well and how long their healthier food products will last?

I read this news before and the first thing I thought was 'Wow, the power of pressure!' even though they got so many silly lawsuits they definetly got a lot of pressure about being some of the only one junk food places that doesn't offer an alternative for healthy eating or vegetarian food (Besides the salad, some people just don't get it that vegetarians eat more than salad all day :smile.gif) So this move of Mc Donalds is totally commercial and in my opinion will not last long.

31st Dec, 2004 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Why I Fat Movies Music Fashion & Sports

The whole point here is --> self-control. Except for the .01% that actually have a disease of sorts that cause them to get fat no matter what they do, everyone else that is fat is that way because of poor diet, lack of exercise and ignorance. Afterall, how many exercising vegetarians that keep themselves up to date with health issues do you see that are overweight?

Companies like Mc Donald's and others do count on people remaining ignorant about what is in meat and grease, etc so that they can keep selling that 'crap' for the want of a better word.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Why am I Fat?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,