Mia B. Love

Mia B Love - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 26th Sep, 2012 - 7:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Mia Love Quotes Saratoga Springs swears in the first black woman to be elected mayor in Utah. Questions are raised about her being an 'anchor baby' in order for her parents and siblings to legally live in the US.
Post Date: 9th Jan, 2010 - 2:11pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Mia B. Love

Saratoga Springs swears in the first black woman to be elected mayor in Utah

In 1912, Kanab elected Utah's first woman mayor, Mary W. Howard. The state's first black mayor, George Garwood, came from South Ogden in 2001. Now, 97 years after the first woman and nine years after the first black, Mayor Mia Love has set a record of her own. Ref. Source 6

Sponsored Links:
9th Jan, 2010 - 2:14pm / Post ID: #

Love B Mia

Utah seems to becoming more open about other races and cultures. Also from the same article:

international QUOTE
According to the 2008 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, of Utah's 2.6 million people, 49.5 percent are women and only 1.3 percent are black. In Utah County, the number of blacks shrinks to 0.5 percent. Love said her election is proof the people of Saratoga Springs aren't deterred by those numbers or old racial stereotypes.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

9th Jan, 2010 - 4:16pm / Post ID: #

Mia B. Love History & Civil Business Politics

I don't really think it is a matter of Utah becoming "more open" to other races and cultures. Notice what the article said about the density of black women, especially in Utah Valley. I don't know if any black women have ever even run for mayor before in Utah! Even if they did, what political stances did they take?

As usual, these types of stories focus on race, when it most likely that race was one of the very minor points. It is very nice that a black woman is now mayor. But the fact that it took "97 years" is completely irrelevant to the actual history of Utah.

Black people are not driven out of Utah. They are not the subjects of intense discrimination. The relatively low black population of Utah is NOT the result of institutional or even unconscious discrimination. Now, if this was the first black woman to get elected in, say, Alabama or Missouri, where there is a history of institutional racism, then this would be a major historical event.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 854 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 85.4%

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2010 - 4:39pm / Post ID: #

Mia B. Love
A Friend

Love B Mia

I like to think that she was elected for her knowledge and her stands on the issues. I do not look at a candidate and see a ______(insert color)man/woman. I look at the candidates for their views on current issues that people are wanting addressed. I think that this is how she was elected and I am happy that she was elected.

9th Jan, 2010 - 4:50pm / Post ID: #

Love B Mia

international QUOTE (Nighthawk)
I don't really think it is a matter of Utah becoming "more open"...

Possibly you did not see the other Threads with News about a lot of racial or prejudicial stances in Utah. From reading those I was surprised to see this happen. In the year and a half I lived in Utah I remember seeing a Black person only once (1981). Utah has changed a lot, when I went back in 1997 there were many races there (Salt Lake) and less so in the urban areas but still more than what I saw in the 80s.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3212 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2012 - 11:25am / Post ID: #

Mia B. Love

Boehner: GOP in for 'real fight' in November, urges support for Mia Love

U.S. House Speaker John Boehner urged support for 4th District congressional candidate Mia Love during a fundraiser Wednesday, warning this November's election will be a battle for Republicans. Ref. Source 2

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 26th Sep, 2012 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

Mia B. Love

Questions raised about Mia Love's immigrant parents story

Questions are being raised about how the parents and siblings of Mia Love obtained U.S. Citizenship. Ref. Source 1

Mia B. Love
Mia B. Love (Hover)

26th Sep, 2012 - 7:31pm / Post ID: #

Mia B. Love Politics Business Civil & History

For me it doesn't matter if she was an anchor baby so long as they did nothing illegal. Mia Love was born here and her family took advantage of a loophole in the law, as if that doesn't happen everyday by the most well intention people... So no big deal.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 168 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 16.8%

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mia B. Love

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,